How much better will my computer be?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 LazerFish

LazerFish

Active WinMatrixian

• 286 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 08:04 AM

I'm getting some new parts pretty soon, and I'm pretty sure my PC will perform better, I was just wondering what kind of gaming performance it will have. It wasn't that bad before, but my motherboard bios is messed up, and I needed a new one anyway.

Here are my "Before" specs:
1.8Ghz Pentium 4
768MB RAM
ATI Radeon 9600XT in a 4X AGP slot
160W power supply

And here are my "After" specs:
2.93Ghz Intel Celeron D
1024MB RAM
ATI Radeon 9600XT in an 8X AGP slot
450W power supply

Will the increase be noticable? I don't play many high-end games, the most graphic intensive game I play regularly is GTA: San Andreas. Also, I need some suggestions on keeping my graphics card cool. It used to overheat, but the case I'm getting has a side vent and fans. I have a few fans from my old one I can use, too. Do you think that will be enough, or should I buy something like this "Air Conditioner"?

I read that 4X AGP slots use 1.5V power, and 8X AGP slots use 0.8V, could this have been causing my overheating problems?

Edited by LazerFish, 07 September 2006 - 12:45 PM.

#2 italianboy

italianboy

Italian Do It Better!

• 171 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 08:57 AM

mmm...you should consider changing the vga...and buy a good air cooling system, not the "air conditioner"...btw the increase will be noticable...but...keep in mind that you are using a low-end computer...

#3 LazerFish

LazerFish

Active WinMatrixian

• 286 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 09:42 AM

Yeah, the 9600 is getting a little old now, but it works for me... at least for now. I'm thinking of gettin a GeForce 7800GS eventually, probably after the next price drop or two (I'm poor :P). That's about as good as AGP card are going to get, right? Would I need more RAM and/or a better processor to get the most out of it?

I really want a good cooling system, but I've been wrong on too many things to trust my own judgement, can you reccommend a good one? The kicker is that I have to be able to pay with a money order or by wire transfer (the only sites I know of that accept those forms of payment are Tiger Direct and NewEgg)

Thanks for responding :)

Edited by LazerFish, 07 September 2006 - 09:43 AM.

#4 italianboy

italianboy

Italian Do It Better!

• 171 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 10:06 AM

why don't buy a liquid cooling system? only 1 fan...absolutely quiet...just a bit expensive...around 300€...and for the vga...wait for Microsoft DX10 video card!

For RAM, buy a single 1GB block by Corsair, or OCZ, or GEIL...they are expensive, but they ROCK...

For PROCESSOR, you can overclock it, or buy a new one (pay attenction at the right SOCKET!)

#5 Freka

Freka

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,758 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 08:02 PM

what do u have to buy to bring ur ghz up? and yes i know i am a noob

#6 LazerFish

LazerFish

Active WinMatrixian

• 286 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 03:21 AM

You'd need to upgrade your CPU.

Like italianboy said, make sure you get the right socket number to match your motherboard.

Edited by LazerFish, 08 September 2006 - 03:22 AM.

#7 zahmad

zahmad

zahmad

• 383 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 03:56 AM

Save more.....and get an AMD Dual core! :D

#8 italianboy

italianboy

Italian Do It Better!

• 171 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 06:36 AM

Save more.....and get an AMD Dual core! :D

oh yes, it would bè fantastic but...you must change you motherboard, and ram (you must ude DDR2 instead DDR) and plus you need a good power supply unit!

#9 Ultimate John

Ultimate John

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,808 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 08:29 AM

Go for PCI Express GPU.

#10 LazerFish

LazerFish

Active WinMatrixian

• 286 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 09:43 AM

I am thinking of upgrading this computer on a few more things within the next few months, then just building a whole new computer, Hopefully, by the end of 2007.

This is the stuff I'm getting (hopefully by this friday at the latest):
PQI 512MB DDR 333MHz RAM
PCChips M963GV Motherboard
Intel Celeron D 340 2.93Ghz CPU
Diablo ATX Mid-Tower Case with 450Watt Power Supply, Front Neon Lights, Front USB and Audio Ports

Does it count as building a computer if you buy a computer from gateway, then replace everything? After this upgrade, the only thing that I will be using from gateway will be the sound card (SB Live Value), if I even decide to keep using it. I might just sell it to one of my friends with a crappy computer for like $5 and use the integrated audio on my new motherboard.
New motherboard: $43.73
Newr RAM: $49.99
New Processor:$66.26
New case: $29.99
Not seeing the gateway splash screen when starting your PC: priceless

Edited by LazerFish, 08 September 2006 - 01:23 PM.

#11 gaz-545

gaz-545

Active WinMatrixian

• 450 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 11:33 AM

Front neon lights <_< man ur not in the next Fast and the Fourious!

Use the money to buy something decente. like some more RAM..

Edited by Gaz545, 08 September 2006 - 11:34 AM.

#12 LazerFish

LazerFish

Active WinMatrixian

• 286 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 01:30 PM

I was just going for the cheapest case I could find, pretty much. It is WAY better than my 5 year old gateway case (of course, a giant dog turd with a PC built in would look better, too).
I've already got another 512MB of RAM, I know more is better, but I think 1GB will do for now.
It's too late to cancel, so I'll just take my chances, lol.

#13 WinMatrics

WinMatrics

LinMatrix Founder

• 893 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 02:19 PM

My laptop sucks compared to your desktop. ATI Radeon 9000... old..64 bit. Still it runs all the fun games well. Had problems with halo when in high res. I'm getting a new computer after I learn advanced computing. (like linux and handling.) Waiting for a good Vista computer with DX10 Card. :P

#14 LazerFish

LazerFish

Active WinMatrixian

• 286 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 11:29 PM

My 9600 was top of the line when I bought it. But that was a few years ago. I haven't tried playing Halo, Halo 2 or Half-Life 2 on it yet, but I could run GTA:San Andreas at 1280x1024, 6xAA, and with the 10X Draw Distance mod installed, the framerate wasn't super, but it was playable. I usually turned off AA, and that would help a lot.

grrr... tigerdirect is becoming very aggravating. Their customer service (so far) sucks. I sent in the order as wire transfer payment, only to find out, when I tried to wire the money, that they only accept wire payment on international orders... which it said nothing about on the site?
Now I'm going to try to pay with a money order, I hope it works. If I get ripped off, I am going to be very angry. After reading their reseller rating, I have given up on getting my $30 rebate, I just want my parts! Every day that goes by is making me angrier, and I still have at least a week, I fear I may lose it soon and smash something...

Does anyone know a better site to order from, that accepts money order or wire transfer, and that I can get all of the stuff I ordered (or equivalent) for around the same price?

Edited by LazerFish, 08 September 2006 - 11:34 PM.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!