Apple Recalls 1.8 Million Batteries

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 WhistAler

WhistAler

WhistA

• 1,866 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 12:08 PM

Following in the footsteps of Dell, which recalled 4.1 million batteries earlier this month, Apple has announced its own recall of 1.8 million batteries made by Sony. The company says the batteries could overheat in "rare circumstances."

The Sony batteries have been the subject of increased scrutiny after media reports caught footage of at least two laptops catching fire due to the batteries overheating. The most notable of these was a laptop in Japan that exploded on video during a conference, prompting the company to launch an investigation into the matter.

iBook G4 and PowerBook G4 Battery Exchange Program FAQ
News Source:
Betanews

Posted Image
More photos

Edited by WhistAler, 25 August 2006 - 12:11 PM.

#2 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 12:57 PM

oh my...=(

#3 Darth Facehead

Darth Facehead

WinMatrixian

• 212 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 08:28 PM

Is that some kind of new feature Sony has, explodable batteries? Seriously, what were they thinking?

#4 WinMatrics

WinMatrics

LinMatrix Founder

• 893 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 11:35 PM

Ouch. Sucks for the Mac-switchers, must've changed their opinion alot. And since the OS and manufacturer is Apple, this is going to bring their overall rating down. :(

#5 Darth Facehead

Darth Facehead

WinMatrixian

• 212 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 12:02 AM

Ouch. Sucks for the Mac-switchers, must've changed their opinion alot. And since the OS and manufacturer is Apple, this is going to bring their overall rating down. :(

It's not Apple's fault at all, Apple does not make the batteries. It's Sony's fault for making crap batteries, that's why the same thing is happening to Dell. Plus the new MacBooks / MacBook Pros are not affected.

Edited by Darth Facehead, 26 August 2006 - 12:04 AM.

#6 gaz-545

gaz-545

Active WinMatrixian

• 450 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 12:55 AM

apple is up 4.8% of the market from 4.5% anyway :D

#7 WinMatrics

WinMatrics

LinMatrix Founder

• 893 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 01:13 AM

It's not Apple's fault at all, Apple does not make the batteries. It's Sony's fault for making crap batteries, that's why the same thing is happening to Dell. Plus the new MacBooks / MacBook Pros are not affected.

Thats true, but it is the manufacturers duty to test the hardware/software before public release. I'm happy none of my computers were affected. (I have both a Dell and a Mac LOL)

#8 exxon007

exxon007

WinMatrixian

• 224 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 09:20 AM

yup I agree with Winmatrics. Doesn't matter who make the batteries, in the end the customers will only see the name printed on the laptop. And that will be Mac.

#9 gaz-545

gaz-545

Active WinMatrixian

• 450 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 10:52 AM

But there is only so much testing a company can do, of course apple and dell would have taken extensive tests, and used the laptop in extream conditions, but how do you know these battries wern't ticking time bombs? and would only go off after a certain amount of time, an amount of time that is far to large to get to it in testing?

#10 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 03:05 PM

that means that they did'nt test it enough, lol. if counsumers use that long and bring it to such extreme conditions, then the battery testers must be slackers.

too bad for those mac users, they will no longer use a mac.

#11 thoosje

thoosje

Lolz Wooot!! 5 Stars

• 574 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 03:52 PM

sony
wel it doestn suprise at all

#12 gaz-545

gaz-545

Active WinMatrixian

• 450 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 04:35 PM

that means that they did'nt test it enough, lol. if counsumers use that long and bring it to such extreme conditions, then the battery testers must be slackers.

ok you didn't understand what i said.

i said if the battrys had to be used for a certain amount of time say 50,000,000 hours, how do you expect Apple to test the battrys for that long, yes they will test it for a long time, but come on, apple is seriously not to blame here.

#13 WinMatrics

WinMatrics

LinMatrix Founder

• 893 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 06:40 PM

i said if the battrys had to be used for a certain amount of time say 50,000,000 hours, how do you expect Apple to test the battrys for that long, yes they will test it for a long time, but come on, apple is seriously not to blame here.

The batteries get tested by clocking the power up to maximum. That way the battery wear level rises from 0-50 percent in about 5 hours.

Also if you take it that way, Dell can't be blamed for. And the companies with processer problems, overheating hard-drives, memory discharges, etc; they can't be blamed for either. (Which they currently are.)

So.. All manufacturers are to blame for any problems with the hardware/software, because they are the people who made the hardware compatible with the computer without testing it properly.

Come on you have to admit. I have a Mac too so I feel bad for Apple also. ;)

#14 gaz-545

gaz-545

Active WinMatrixian

• 450 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 07:51 PM

yeah i feel bad for apple, i'm just saying, it is not TOTTAL apples' fault, and you can't totaly blame them for this happening.

#15 Darth Facehead

Darth Facehead

WinMatrixian

• 212 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 08:07 PM

The batteries get tested by clocking the power up to maximum. That way the battery wear level rises from 0-50 percent in about 5 hours.

Also if you take it that way, Dell can't be blamed for. And the companies with processer problems, overheating hard-drives, memory discharges, etc; they can't be blamed for either. (Which they currently are.)

So.. All manufacturers are to blame for any problems with the hardware/software, because they are the people who made the hardware compatible with the computer without testing it properly.

Come on you have to admit. I have a Mac too so I feel bad for Apple also. ;)

Yes it's not Dell's fault either. I do feel bad for both companies since they will be wrongly blamed for this. I also have a Dell and a Mac (both desktops though).

Edited by Darth Facehead, 26 August 2006 - 08:08 PM.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!