56 replies to this topic

#1 endrit10

endrit10

N9 Shanktown

• Members
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 11:55 PM

Why switch?

The 10 reasons that Apple must think is imperative for making the change from a PC to a MAC can be found on their website. Of course if you have the time to read through all of them you realise that these 10 features or reasons have been standard with the PC a long, long, long time. Some of the reasons are just plain myths that Apple invented. Probably because they ran out of fabricated facts.
Posted Image So take the journey through the 10 commandments of a mac-enthusiast and enjoy their naive attitude towards personal computing.

1. The Mac... It just works
Posted Image
This is maybe the ultimate reason a mac owner will give you to explain why it's superior to a PC. The mac owner will tell you that all people that own macs are really satisfied with their computers and would never switch back. This is ofcourse not true. If you read our Real stories you will find all kinds of interesting stories about owning a mac.
Posted ImageThe mac owner will also tell you that with a system from Apple you will never have to think about drivers, upgrades or anything. A mac is perfection itself when delivered. Atleast according to their standard. Many mac:s can't even be upgraded. So what you buy is what you get. Expect your system to be outdated within 1-2 years.
Posted ImageApple also states: "Only with a Mac do you get an operating system built by the same people who built the computer it runs on.". Actually Apple's Mac OS X (the operating system) is not based on their own technology, but by the technology of freeBSD. Apple's own capabilities in form of creating an operating system have been demonstrated in previous versions of Mac OS. It took an operating system based on someone else's technology to get a Mac multitasking and not behaving like an oversized pocket calculator from 1985.

2. It doesn't crash
Posted Image
Yes it does! And it does it alot. The difference between a pc based on Windows crashing and a Mac is that on the pc the crash is in 99% of the cases caused by badly coded third party software, when the Mac just has a faulty operating system. Why else would Apple themselves run their india website on Linux RedHat?
Posted Image There is another fun part about crashes on the mac, it's almost always impossible to trace the source of the crash. When your mac crashes you simply reinstall the system. Sounds like a fun thing to do on your spare time, well buy a Mac then!

3. Simply the best in digital music
Posted Image
This point is actually based on Apple's iPod. I must admit, the iPod is not an ugly creation. I'll give Apple credit for that. But as always, they exaggerate the benefits of their product. Apple was far from first with creating a portable mp3-player with a built in harddrive but on the other side they do offer the most expensive solution.
Posted ImageThe iPod is about 40-60% more expensive than technologically equal products. Keep in mind also that it offers no recording option and no belt clip. Two very crucial benefits a portable mp3-player should have.

4. The missing link in digital photography
Posted Image
It's amazing! Apple has invented a program called iPhotos that will revolutionize the way we look at digital photos. Hear what they have to say: "Simply drag your mouse, and iPhoto magically grows or shrinks your photo thumbnails. So you can view individual shots in detail or see hundreds of photos on the screen at once...".
Posted ImageMaybe mac users are new to digital photos on the computer but on the pc we have a huge variety of freeware that does the job of iPhoto and more, to choose from. So when Apple says that they are "the missing link in digital photography" maybe what they meant was that iPhoto is the missing link of the Mac.
Posted Image Windows users reached that stage of evolution ages ago.

5. Your own digital entertainment center
Posted Image
It seems that Apple thinks that they've revolutionized computing by developing mediocre software for viewing digital photos, editing video, burning CDs and DVDs and listening to music. Well they haven't!

6. Goes everywhere you go
Posted Image
You better sit down for this one, hold on to your seat and embrace yourself for some cutting edge news from Apple... they've invented the laptop, eureka! Not only that, they think they've made it superior to other laptops. Let's look at why and also try to answer their questions:
    Can your PC laptop go coast to coast with just one battery?
    — Ofcourse. And if it only needs the performance of the Mac it could probably go around the world.

Can you put the system to sleep just by closing the lid?

— Oh my god, a Mac can do that? Well, so can a PC!

Does it wake up instantly?
    Can your PC laptop automatically switch between Ethernet,
    dial-up and wireless connections on the fly?

—Without a doubt!

Without a restart?

Is this a joke? This really proves that Apple has no clue on what their competitors are doing. If they never have used a PC running Windows it makes their tests and objective sayings about the Mac really credible. Oh, by the way, I was being sarcastic.
7. It's built for the internet
Posted Image
Apple makes a huge point about the easability of configuring an internet connection on a mac. All new Windows versions come with just as easy to use guides for connecting to the internet with modem, lan or anything else. They also brag about such obvious tools of communication like email, favorites and contacts. Yes Apple, this is really new and hot stuff, you are indeed innovative. Or maybe not.
Posted ImageThe worst part might be that they lie about their under average video-plugin Quicktime. This might be one of the worst programs ever to install. Actually if some students at a university needed an example of a really poorly written program, this would be a perfect opportunity for Quicktime to step into the limelight.

8. Office is Office, and then some
Posted Image
Yes, the mac comes with Office and this is why you should make the switch from a pc to a mac:

"The transition to a Mac is easy in part because you'll continue using the same applications you already know"

Posted ImageAsk yourself this: Why would I switch when It's the exactly same on the mac? -Beats me. Apple does speak of some mysterious features in this sentence:

"And thanks to exclusive features, the Mac versions improve on their Windows counterparts"

As you might expect they mention nothing on what these features are. Well they're probably just wonderfully, perfectly and amazingly non-existent!

9. Works effortlessly with PCs
Posted Image
Apple thought for a long time that they'd be best off constructing their own method for network-communication. Everyone that has struggled with the glorious AppleTalk knows that they didn't do a great job. Now they have realised that it's better to use an already working technology that someone else created instead of poorly reinventing the wheel.

"Networking on a Mac is built on the same technologies used by PCs."

They also reveal amazing means of medias you can use on your mac:

..."you can also swap files via data CD, floppies or Zip disks."

10. It's beautiful
Posted Image
Posted ImageApple emphasises that all their products are masterpieces of design. Their problem is that their focus on design hinders them from creating ergonomical and practical machines. If you have ever used the small round iMac mouse you have probably too suffered from aches in arm and hand.

"...ergonomic products that are the toast of the design world..."

It wasn't I who brought up the word toast into the debate. On the other hand it was I who drew the paralell to machines looking like plain household machines. Who wants a computer that look like a remnant from the 70's like the one on my right. You could probably achieve the same state of hallucination if staring long enough on this iMac, that you could by inhaling large amounts of heavy drugs.

So what have we learned from these 10 points that Apple provides for the potential buyer. We have learned that Apple likes to tell their future customers that the mac is built on technology they probably already are using on their PCs. They also lure the extremely naive buyers with words like internet, word-processing and cd-burning.

Please do not be fooled. You have nothing to gain by switching to a Mac. Apple has proved it on their own, with a little help from us.

http://mac-sucks.com/

ALSO
CHECK
THESE
OUT

http://mac-sucks.com/facts_price.php

Edited by endrit10, 30 June 2006 - 12:09 AM.

#2 Hipgnosis

Hipgnosis

Active WinMatrixian

• 890 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 12:15 AM

A Mac is sold WITH a screen. Depends on what kind of a Mac you are buying obviously. Have you looked at an iMac? I guess not. Well I'll give you a quick link and a glance at what it looks like.

OMG A MAC WITH A SCREEN!

And a Mac Mini, is so frickin' cheap man! Around $ 800 for the best one. It is also very tiny. I wonder how many desktop PCs can beat that size?

And also, you can put up to 16 GB of RAM in a G5. Like how many of us would dream having that? Most likely everyone if we had the money! Windows only suports 4 GB MAX. Why don't you try it out?

Macs have processors like 1.5Ghz for example, and they can do way more than a Windows can. 1Ghz Mac = 3+ Ghz Windows.

Kinda makes you think, does it? The only way we can tell if these are real statements, is if you buy it yourself. I'ma buy one soon so thanks for the heads up!

Edited by JDelta, 30 June 2006 - 12:24 AM.

#3 Darth Facehead

Darth Facehead

WinMatrixian

• 212 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 12:42 AM

Yeah, and the iMac G3 which is shown there, is not around anymore. It came in many colors, including neutral ones like white and gray. They did not all look like 70's throwbacks, and they looked good for their time. They looked way better than the average beige box you would generally get in 1998 or so. Also that little round mouse is no longer made.

What Apple says about the internet and hardware is true. When connecting to a new network for the first time, or plug in a peripheral for the first time in Windows, you have to go through this whole wizard thing to find the drivers, etc. On a Mac you just plug it in and start using. No delays while it trys to find your hardware or network. It just starts working.

And with software, MS Office runs way better on a Mac. On Windows it crashes all the time, needs frequent updates, has security holes, etc. Even IE on a Mac is better. About iPhoto, sure there are many freeware programs like it, but they aren't made by Microsoft, and in essence that's who Apple's competing with, not Google or anything.

When a program crashes on Windows, it slows down and locks up the whole computer, affecting other programs and it's hard many times to cleanly end the task. When a program crashes on a Mac, it crashes cleanly by disappearing and not slowing down the computer or any other programs.

Also keep in mind that site is written by one guy and he only has one user story on there... and he also clearly doesn't know about Macs since there are many models. The price graph is outdated too.

Endrit10, if you had the attention span to read all of that, please respond in an intelligent way, or else don't respond at all. :lol:

Edited by Darth Facehead, 30 June 2006 - 12:46 AM.

#4 Hipgnosis

Hipgnosis

Active WinMatrixian

• 890 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 01:08 AM

*Endrit is just loving Vista too much that he hates Macs now.*

You see all those new topics popping up everywhere like The Mac Hater, Apple thanks Microsoft for inventing the Trash Can, and 10 Reasons NOT to switch to Mac. Jesus how much more do we need? If anything, its the Vista skins, wallpapers, icons, "how do I get the transparency?!" topics, etc.

#5 DrunkMonkey

DrunkMonkey

WinMatrixian

• 235 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 02:47 AM

Yeah, and the iMac G3 which is shown there, is not around anymore. It came in many colors, including neutral ones like white and gray. They did not all look like 70's throwbacks, and they looked good for their time. They looked way better than the average beige box you would generally get in 1998 or so. Also that little round mouse is no longer made.

What Apple says about the internet and hardware is true. When connecting to a new network for the first time, or plug in a peripheral for the first time in Windows, you have to go through this whole wizard thing to find the drivers, etc. On a Mac you just plug it in and start using. No delays while it trys to find your hardware or network. It just starts working.
I have never had any such delays on my PC. The drivers automatically are found- it literally takes about 5 seconds the first time with absolutely no intervention on my part.

And with software, MS Office runs way better on a Mac. On Windows it crashes all the time, needs frequent updates, has security holes, etc. Even IE on a Mac is better. About iPhoto, sure there are many freeware programs like it, but they aren't made by Microsoft, and in essence that's who Apple's competing with, not Google or anything.
I have never had office crash on me. I have only updated it 3 or so times in the last 2 year- that is frequent? The point about iPhoto is that the program is nothing revolutionary- there is no benefit.

When a program crashes on Windows, it slows down and locks up the whole computer, affecting other programs and it's hard many times to cleanly end the task. When a program crashes on a Mac, it crashes cleanly by disappearing and not slowing down the computer or any other programs.
Not from what I have heard. Actually, it is almost always easy to close the program that might have frozen up the computer- and it rarely happens for me.

Also keep in mind that site is written by one guy and he only has one user story on there... and he also clearly doesn't know about Macs since there are many models. The price graph is outdated too.

Endrit10, if you had the attention span to read all of that, please respond in an intelligent way, or else don't respond at all. :lol:

A Mac is sold WITH a screen. Depends on what kind of a Mac you are buying obviously. Have you looked at an iMac? I guess not. Well I'll give you a quick link and a glance at what it looks like.

OMG A MAC WITH A SCREEN!

And a Mac Mini, is so frickin' cheap man! Around $ 800 for the best one. It is also very tiny. I wonder how many desktop PCs can beat that size?
What is the point of cramming not-so-good parts into a small box for more than they should cost?
Also, http://www.cybernetm....cfm?DocId=602- smaller than a mac mini (especially since it includes a keyboard and touchpad).

And also, you can put up to 16 GB of RAM in a G5. Like how many of us would dream having that? Most likely everyone if we had the money! Windows only suports 4 GB MAX. Why don't you try it out?
There is really no reason for any more than 4GB of Ram on a normal computer. The servers (especially 64 bit) can go much higher. Has anyone ever actually put 16GB in a G5? It wouldn't be used.

Macs have processors like 1.5Ghz for example, and they can do way more than a Windows can. 1Ghz Mac = 3+ Ghz Windows.
Any way of backing this up? Because computer reviews don't agree with you.

Kinda makes you think, does it? The only way we can tell if these are real statements, is if you buy it yourself. I'ma buy one soon so thanks for the heads up!

Edited by DrunkMonkey, 30 June 2006 - 02:50 AM.

#6 Darth Facehead

Darth Facehead

WinMatrixian

• 212 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 02:56 AM

@Drunk Monkey:

1. Hardware: Well it depends what hardware you mean. A mouse yes, but my digital camera, joystick, iPod, scanner, and hard drive sure don't just start working in the first 5 seconds. Maybe yours does though.

2. Software: Office often crashes for me. I have 2000, probably 2003 crashes less. But many times I am working in Word and I go to change the font or something and it crashes. If it weren't for the auto recovery I would be losing a lot of work. In itself iPhoto is nothing revolutionary, but the benefit of it is that it works together with iMovie, iTunes, etc. Google Picasa is a great Windows alternative, but if only Google would make a suite like iLife... :)

3. Crashing: I've been using Mac OSX for 3 years and the only kind of program crashes are the kind where it suddenly disappears. This is due to shortage of RAM, not faulty programming. The eMacs at school only have 384mb, when I use my friend's iMac with 512mb, programs crash much less. This shows it's just the RAM.

And I can verify that what JDelta says about speed is more or less true. My friend's iMac is only 1.8Ghz, but it's much faster than my 2Ghz Windows machine.

Oh yeah, another important point, no viruses or spyware on Macs. This means no expensive, cpu eating anti virus software in the background. :D

Edited by Darth Facehead, 30 June 2006 - 03:13 AM.

#7 -pepo

-pepo

Viva el fùtbol...!

• 440 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 05:50 AM

OMG A MAC WITH A SCREEN!

Price wise you should never say anything of Apple's is cheap, that's a capital crime, period!

Um... "1Ghz Mac = 3+ Ghz Windows"... uh... :blink: ...and that's why Apple now uses what Windows' been using, Intel processors, I guess Apple wants to be slow too, couse they were pulling ahead too much. :rolleyes:

I'd like to see some magical source on this 1ghz=3ghz matter. :whistle:

G5 is a 64-bit processor, to note it was indeed the first 64-bit processor, however, 64-bit AMD/Intel processors support up 136gb of RAM, of course vendors haven't made much space to fit all this, it's 32-bit processors that support only 4gb of RAM.

@Drunk Monkey:

1. Hardware: Well it depends what hardware you mean. A mouse yes, but my digital camera, joystick, iPod, scanner, and hard drive sure don't just start working in the first 5 seconds. Maybe yours does though.

2. Software: Office often crashes for me. I have 2000, probably 2003 crashes less. But many times I am working in Word and I go to change the font or something and it crashes. If it weren't for the auto recovery I would be losing a lot of work. In itself iPhoto is nothing revolutionary, but the benefit of it is that it works together with iMovie, iTunes, etc. Google Picasa is a great Windows alternative, but if only Google would make a suite like iLife... :)

3. Crashing: I've been using Mac OSX for 3 years and the only kind of program crashes are the kind where it suddenly disappears. This is due to shortage of RAM, not faulty programming. The eMacs at school only have 384mb, when I use my friend's iMac with 512mb, programs crash much less. This shows it's just the RAM.

And I can verify that what JDelta says about speed is more or less true. My friend's iMac is only 1.8Ghz, but it's much faster than my 2Ghz Windows machine.

Oh yeah, another important point, no viruses or spyware on Macs. This means no expensive, cpu eating anti virus software in the background. :D

Your mouse, keyboard, camera, and scaner do not need installations, some scaners do, but cameras and scaners have a scan wizard that appears in My Computer, when you click it, you choose where you're getting pictures from and go on from there. Hard drives work just fine too, you connect it to the PSU, IDE/SCSI slot, and the drive shows in My Computer, of coruse if you have to do some further configuration on SATA that's a different thing. But most things do need driver installation.

And what kind of processor does your Windows machine excatly have?!

When you look at numbers between Mac and Windows users, do you realy think that smeone would stay home coding all day a virus to get about 20% of Mac users, when he can get the other 80% of Windows users.

Apart from all this arguing that article was poorly written, with outdated content.

Apple does offer all this DVD burning/Photo organizing software that really isn't revolutionary, but you get nothing of the sort when buying Windows, you don't get a photo organizing or DVD burning software, infact you pay for these seperatly or have to go through the hustle of searching and downloading such software. So as far as revolutionary goes it's nothing of the sort, but it's offered with the OS itself while windows is a bare bone OS, offering limited software. Again for those of you that won't understad what I just said and go off on me for saying limited software, I'm not talking about the software you can buy or download but the software included with Windows.

Also Macs do have some of those sleek new features we're gettin in Vista, and Mac's UI is definetly better than Windows Luna. And the hardware design of Apple systems does look better than anything you've seen for windows, you can't deny that, so don't even try.

Apart from all this Apple is too expensive and game limited for the avarege user.

Edited by -pepo, 30 June 2006 - 05:56 AM.

#8 endrit10

endrit10

N9 Shanktown

• Members
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 06:51 AM

. I wonder how many desktop PCs can beat that size?

Ever heard of tablet?

The Aqua look was made in like 2002?
Same with XP's Luna

Vista will own OSX

TODAYS YOUR LUCKY DAY:

THERE IS 1 GOOD THNG ABOUT MAC, VIRUSES DONT EFFECT YOU!

Well, Windows Viruses anyway, people can't be bothered to hack OSX, its boring

I don't want to start a holy war here, but what is the deal with you Mac fanatics? I've been sitting here at my freelance gig in front of a Mac (a 8600/300 w/64 Megs of RAM) for about 20 minutes now while it attempts to copy a 17 Meg file from one folder on the hard drive to another folder. 20 minutes. At home, on my Pentium Pro 200 running NT 4, which by all standards should be a lot slower than this Mac, the same operation would take about 2 minutes. If that.

In addition, during this file transfer, Netscape will not work. And everything else has ground to a halt. Even BBEdit Lite is straining to keep up as I type this.

I won't bore you with the laundry list of other problems that I've encountered while working on various Macs, but suffice it to say there have been many, not the least of which is I've never seen a Mac that has run faster than its Wintel counterpart, despite the Macs' faster chip architecture. My 486/66 with 8 megs of ram runs faster than this 300 mhz machine at times. From a productivity standpoint, I don't get how people can claim that the Macintosh is a superior machine.

Mac addicts, flame me if you'd like, but I'd rather hear some intelligent reasons why anyone would choose to use a Mac over other faster, cheaper, more stable systems.

Lets review shall we?

PCs:
*Made for intelligent beings that are capable of concious thought.
*Reasonably priced.
*Easy to repair/upgrade it yourself.
*Compatible with the vast majority of software and games.

Macs:
*Designed and marketed for people that have rocks for a brain.
*Expensive.
*Can't repair or upgrade anything yourself, you're forced to take it to certified Mac repair shop - again, expensive.
*EXTREMELY limited software options. Not to mention games, although some major titles make both Mac and PC versions, most just release their game for PC and call it quits. And even with the big titles, usually the Mac version is released MONTHS behind the PC version.

Additionally, I've gotta put in a few words about Apple's new Mac commercials. You know, the ones with the old corporate suit-and-tie
PC man, and the "cool" young Mac guy. They're really starting to piss me off.

"Viruses"
'Mac's don't get viruses' - YES THEY DO. There have been many
viruses written for Macs. It's just that, as stated earlier, most people that write virii want to infect as many people as possible, and since the majority of people use PCs.. well, you can figure it out. If more people were using Macs than PCs, guess what? Macs would have more viruses than PCs.

"iLife"
Ah yes, then there's that one that glorifies all the software that comes with a Mac, and attempts to say that PCs come with almost nothing.
First of all, most PC manufacturers include tons of software with their PCs.
Secondly, the extra software you include with a computer doesn't make it any better of a computer. Personally, I prefer not having shitloads of unwanted software preinstalled. I like to be able to start clean, and choose the software I want.

"Networking"
Don't even get me started, what kinda of nonsensical bullshit is this? Who ever heard of a digital camera that works on a Mac, but not a PC? As said before, the majority of the market uses PCs.
Logically, then, would any company that wants to make money release a camera that only works for such a small percentage of the market? Of course not!

"Restarting"
Okay, this might have made some sense, if it were aired oh.. I don't know.. five years ago? PCs are alot more stable now. Rarely ever do I crash, and when I do it's usually my own damn fault. Then again, were Macs all that stable five years ago? I guess this commercial is full of shit no matter which way you look at it.

Alright, that's enough for now. I think I've gotten my point across.
Oh, and if you haven't seen the commercials I'm talking about..
http://www.apple.com/getamac/ads/

Edit: And for those of you that say things like this:
"...macs do support running windows. PCs however do not support running osX..." Of course PCs don't run OSX. It sucks. Just goes to show you how shitty it really is if Mac users want to be able to install Windows over it.

Edited by endrit10, 30 June 2006 - 06:52 AM.

#9 redredbeanbean

redredbeanbean

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 08:02 AM

PC is better than Mac :yes:
I buy mac b4 i use pc, that time is Mac OS9....
Mac OS9 does crash, and even crash more then i use PC when working.
When change to OSX(10.1), terrible, beside beauty, this is the worst operating system i ever seen.
From the update of OSX u can see It is not stable, not stable...
Mac suck!! :angry:
Dont be lied by the beauty of Apple software n hardware....is useless. :no:
I m so upsad Apple is liying n it lie no stop.... :angry:
Security is the only issue for Windows, becourse it is too popolar.

#10 Bogo

Bogo

Bogdan

• 651 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 09:33 AM

macs are better because you can have both windows and mac os x installed on them. You can't legally do that on a pc.
@redredbeanbean : never used osx, but i've heard that the first useable release of mac os x was jaguar (that is 10.2)

Edited by Bogo, 30 June 2006 - 09:35 AM.

#11 gaz-545

gaz-545

Active WinMatrixian

• 450 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 12:16 PM

Stop boring me with this crap..
iPhoto can do more than any freeware software on windows. trust me ;) i use it daily.
haha you can't update mac hardware, are you some kinda loser? of course u can, but apple don't recomend it because most computer uses out there are total idiots and don't know what the hell they are doing.
how much did windows ME suck? yeah alot.
so why say that previous builds of apple OS sucked! man its the god damn past, latest versions of mac OS is way better than windows!

*looks down at windows computer ON THE FLOOR* OMG its so shexy with that beige case and that black front with a floppy drive, and its not even a year old. Yuk!!
*looks at Mac Mini sitting on desk* Wooh now that is shexy it's matalic silver with a shiny white surface on top, and OMG it comes with a romote, to use frontrow!! ah man to do that sorta stuff on Windows you have to buy a whole different OS, doesn't that suck :(

#12 Hipgnosis

Hipgnosis

Active WinMatrixian

• 890 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 12:55 PM

Alright alright. Bottom line, is that the Macs today, will own any PCs as of right now. Maybe they won't beat Vista, but right now they rule.

No more flaming, please?

#13 Tech

Tech

Super WinMatrixian

• Elites
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 01:18 PM

Damn....ladies, please!.....where do you find the time to write books like these?......I don't even have time to read all that crap....aaarghhh I'm already bored of scrolling down....it doesn't matter which is best...use whatever works for you....stop fighting like girls about this crap!.....

#14 Caleb

Caleb

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,672 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 02:49 PM

I have OS X 10.4.6 and Windows XP dual boot on my PC and I can't wait to buy a new Mac after my experience.

#15 endrit10

endrit10

N9 Shanktown

• Members
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 04:02 PM

PC is better than Mac

Soo true, that 2 that have brains

#16 ViViDboarder

ViViDboarder

WinMatrixian

• 115 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 04:58 PM

It's unreasonable that you can compare two operating systems geared towards two different audiences. Especially in the case in which you have never tried both operating systems. As some (NOT all) of you seem to be doing.

My story:
I've been a Windows user since 3.1 and have been very, VERY familiar with the possibilities and the advantages of the OS. Truth be told, I'm a gamer. I play all my games on my windows which runs fairly stable. I have almost no crashes on my version of XP pro. I have a PC because I love to upgrade my computer, on account that I don't like to buy whole computers when I can build my own. I would never buy a Mac Desktop PC. To me, a PC should be built to fit. That's why I actually prefer GNU/Linux as an OS rather that Windows. Yet, as a gamer, I keep Windows as well. I only recently (6 Months ago) got into GNU/Linux and have gone through a number of distributions. A few reasons for this are: Windows has GREAT compatibility, but not much versatility. Linux is like Lego's. I can build my own OS how ever I want it to be. Yea it takes work, but I'm no lazy Windows user.

Last month I bought a Macbook Pro. I've been avidly against Mac my whole life for the reasons mentioned above and such, but I felt... When would I be buying parts to upgrade a laptop anyways? I probably wont! I'm also a Student on top of being a gamer and therefor don't want to have to bring my Desktop to school with me so I wanted a powerful, versatile system to bring with me. Now I have been very impressed with OSX. Everything runs VERY smooth and I love the way iLife works. Ohkay... Yea there are many Shareware/Trialware/and some Freeware that does the same thing, but NONE of it runs as smoothly as iLife. In any iLife program you can send the project your working on to the next program to be continued. This effectively makes iLife an all media editing suite! Yea, you can export and import and whatnot between windows programs, but I always end up having to do a lot of work to get it done. I, quite frankly, just want my laptop to do the tasks I bought it for. Music, Movies, Photos, Video Editing, Writing and Surfing the web. It does all of these phenomenally. I know a Windows Laptop could do all this, but not as well together as this OSX. If you have a suite better than iLife, please tell me. I am quite familiar with what's available and have not found anything at all.

What it boils down to is: I love my desktop with Dualboot Windows and GNU/Linux and I love my Macbook Pro with OSX 10.4.7. Both have incredible advantages and fall backs, but I keep each to the uses that I expect from them and I am more than satisfied.

#17 -pepo

-pepo

Viva el fùtbol...!

• 440 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 06:23 PM

The Aqua look was made in like 2002?
Same with XP's Luna

Vista will own OSX

You said it yourself, OSX UI was made to be compared to Luna, so why compare Vista to OSX's IU when they have 5-6 year difference.

I don't want to start a holy war here, but what is the deal with you Mac fanatics? I've been sitting here at my freelance gig in front of a Mac (a 8600/300 w/64 Megs of RAM) for about 20 minutes now while it attempts to copy a 17 Meg file from one folder on the hard drive to another folder. 20 minutes. At home, on my Pentium Pro 200 running NT 4, which by all standards should be a lot slower than this Mac, the same operation would take about 2 minutes. If that.

In addition, during this file transfer, Netscape will not work. And everything else has ground to a halt. Even BBEdit Lite is straining to keep up as I type this.

I won't bore you with the laundry list of other problems that I've encountered while working on various Macs, but suffice it to say there have been many, not the least of which is I've never seen a Mac that has run faster than its Wintel counterpart, despite the Macs' faster chip architecture. My 486/66 with 8 megs of ram runs faster than this 300 mhz machine at times. From a productivity standpoint, I don't get how people can claim that the Macintosh is a superior machine.

Mac addicts, flame me if you'd like, but I'd rather hear some intelligent reasons why anyone would choose to use a Mac over other faster, cheaper, more stable systems.

This guy is comparing PC's and Macs from dacades ago!

PCs:
*Made for intelligent beings that are capable of concious thought.

Macs:
*Designed and marketed for people that have rocks for a brain.

That's quite the opposite.

*EXTREMELY limited software options.

Any software available for Win has it's counter part for Mac, there just isn't shit loads of it for Mac.

Edit: And for those of you that say things like this:
"...macs do support running windows. PCs however do not support running osX..." Of course PCs don't run OSX. It sucks. Just goes to show you how shitty it really is if Mac users want to be able to install Windows over it.

That's just talking loose points now.

PC is better than Mac :yes:
I buy mac b4 i use pc, that time is Mac OS9....
Mac OS9 does crash, and even crash more then i use PC when working.
When change to OSX(10.1), terrible, beside beauty, this is the worst operating system i ever seen.
From the update of OSX u can see It is not stable, not stable...
Mac suck!![/size] :angry:
Dont be lied by the beauty of Apple software n hardware....is useless. :no:
I m so upsad Apple is liying n it lie no stop.... :angry:
Security is the only issue for Windows, becourse it is too popolar.

First of all huge texts are annoying, anywyas, the only reason you hated it is because your so used to Windows, when you got the Mac you subconsciously though it sucked because it was something new that you you didn't get right form teh start, the samething with games, when I first start some game I'd think it kina of sucks, untill you get the hang of it, and you like it alot. That's something like judging people before you know them.

iPhoto can do more than any freeware software on windows. trust me ;) i use it daily.
haha you can't update mac hardware, are you some kinda loser? of course u can, but apple don't recomend it because most computer uses out there are total idiots and don't know what the hell they are doing.
how much did windows ME suck? yeah alot.
so why say that previous builds of apple OS sucked! man its the god damn past, latest versions of mac OS is way better than windows!

*looks at Mac Mini sitting on desk* Wooh now that is shexy it's matalic silver with a shiny white surface on top, and OMG it comes with a romote, to use frontrow!! :(

Quoted for emphasis.

I have a PC because I love to upgrade my computer, on account that I don't like to buy whole computers when I can build my own. I would never buy a Mac Desktop PC. To me, a PC should be built to fit. That's why I actually prefer GNU/Linux as an OS rather that Windows. Yet, as a gamer, I keep Windows as well. I only recently (6 Months ago) got into GNU/Linux and have gone through a number of distributions. A few reasons for this are: Windows has GREAT compatibility, but not much versatility. Linux is like Lego's. I can build my own OS how ever I want it to be. Yea it takes work, but I'm no lazy Windows user.

Last month I bought a Macbook Pro. I've been avidly against Mac my whole life for the reasons mentioned above and such, but I felt... When would I be buying parts to upgrade a laptop anyways? I probably wont! I'm also a Student on top of being a gamer and therefor don't want to have to bring my Desktop to school with me so I wanted a powerful, versatile system to bring with me. Now I have been very impressed with OSX. Everything runs VERY smooth and I love the way iLife works. Ohkay... Yea there are many Shareware/Trialware/and some Freeware that does the same thing, but NONE of it runs as smoothly as iLife. In any iLife program you can send the project your working on to the next program to be continued. This effectively makes iLife an all media editing suite! Yea, you can export and import and whatnot between windows programs, but I always end up having to do a lot of work to get it done. I, quite frankly, just want my laptop to do the tasks I bought it for. Music, Movies, Photos, Video Editing, Writing and Surfing the web. It does all of these phenomenally. I know a Windows Laptop could do all this, but not as well together as this OSX. If you have a suite better than iLife, please tell me. I am quite familiar with what's available and have not found anything at all.

What it boils down to is: I love my desktop with Dualboot Windows and GNU/Linux and I love my Macbook Pro with OSX 10.4.7. Both have incredible advantages and fall backs, but I keep each to the uses that I expect from them and I am more than satisfied.

Quoted for emphasis.

#18 TituFama

TituFama

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,392 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 06:48 PM

Games are the only reason I use Windows.

#19 endrit10

endrit10

N9 Shanktown

• Members
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 07:01 PM

Windows is more stable,

People make all these microsoft jokes and stuff, when acctualy most of them are Windows XP users and are trying to be funny

My XP Pro has NEVER crashed, ive seen a BSOD only twice and it was with Windows ME

And this is probably my main point,

Windows is BETTER, but only if you know how to use computers, internet etc

Mac, well OSX is different, you cant just go and delete any file you want, you cant edeit files and folders properly.

This is for dummies that are scared of the colour blue, BSOD is fixable

Windows is for the advanced user, for more Compactiblity, i dont care if Iphotos or Ishit or whatever the f**k it is , is better than any other program, at least Microsoft HAVE programes like it and, Apple make it seem like THEY are the only one with features

Also this Mac Intel thing is a sign of desperation, to say "HEY, LOOK AT ME!!!"

Well apple i have 1 word for you, "NO" shut up.

So what would you rather have,

A: A better OS thats a little harder to use

B: A terribly built, show off OS that is for 3+

Simple may be better, but only in Themes

Edited by endrit10, 30 June 2006 - 07:03 PM.

#20 Hipgnosis

Hipgnosis

Active WinMatrixian

• 890 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 08:30 PM

Well we gotta thank Apple for their UI that made us go nuts and made our own. Widgets, visual styles, wallpapers with apple logos in the middle, etc.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!