• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 hugo

hugo

Proud to be Dutch!

• 468 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 09:55 PM

Posted Image Apple Boot Camp

More and more people are buying and loving Macs. To make this choice simply irresistible, Apple will include technology in the next major release of Mac OS X, Leopard, that lets you install and run the Windows XP operating system on your Mac. Called Boot Camp (for now), you can download a public beta today.

As elegant as it gets
Boot Camp lets you install Windows XP without moving your Mac data, though you will need to bring your own copy to the table, as Apple Computer does not sell or support Microsoft Windows.(1) Boot Camp will burn a CD of all the required drivers for Windows so you don't have to scrounge around the Internet looking for them.

Posted Image
Optional alt. At startup, hold down the option key (alt) to choose between Mac OS X and Windows.
Run XP natively

Once you’ve completed Boot Camp, simply hold down the option key at startup to choose between Mac OS X and Windows. (That’s the “alt” key for you longtime Windows users.) After starting up, your Mac runs Windows completely natively. Simply restart to come back to Mac.

What you’ll need

- Mac OS X Tiger v10.4.6 (check Software Update)
- The latest Firmware update (check Support Downloads)
- 10GB free hard disk space
- An Intel-based Mac
- A blank recordable CD
- A printer for the instructions (You’ll want to print them before installing Windows, really.)
- A bona fide installation disc for Microsoft Windows XP, Service Pack 2, Home or Professional
(No multi-disc, upgrade or Media Center versions.)

The Boot Camp course
Boot Camp Public Beta provides a straightforward means of letting your Mac run Windows. Here’s how it works:

Space maker. Meet the most elegant hard drive utility ever.
First, you need to make sure your Intel-based Mac has the latest version of Mac OS X and the latest firmware update. These provide technologies that make Boot Camp possible. It’s also wise to print out the Installation & Setup Guide.
The Boot Camp burns a CD with the drivers Windows needs to recognize Mac-specific hardware. It is very important to do this before starting the Windows installation.
The software also helps you set aside hard drive space for the Windows installation, without moving any of your Mac files around. Just drag the intuitive slider to choose the size that’s right for you. Boot Camp also helps you remove the Windows partition, should you so desire.
Next, insert your Windows installation disc, restart and follow the Windows installation process. The only tricky part is selecting the C: drive manually. Be sure to get this right, or you could erase your Mac files accidentally. Remember, Apple Computer does not sell or support Microsoft Windows.
After the installation process is complete and your Mac has booted Windows, you’ll need the Macintosh Drivers CD you burned previously. When you insert the CD, it will automatically install the drivers. Follow the instructions in the Installation & Setup Guide for helpful hints.
Don’t forget to follow best practices for updating and protecting your Windows system (see “Word to the wise” to right).

You’ll need Windows XP Home Edition or Professional, Service Pack 2 installation disc.

source: Apple

#2 Kal-El

Kal-El

WinMatrixian

• 55 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 11:15 PM

Have they tested Microsoft Vista on Mac OS X computers?... that'll be awesome.

Vista (Build 5270) works on Intell Mac, with some bugs of course. See my post #31

Edited by Kal-El, 11 April 2006 - 08:18 AM.

#3 Rounder

Rounder

joejoe.org Manager

• 254 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 11:41 PM

I don't think it's been tested yet, heck it's not even fully tested on regular PCs... now someone out there will definitely hack it's way into doing it that's for sure.

#4 pfaf

pfaf

Kickin' It Since 1986

• 314 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 12:34 AM

seriously, if this gets going good, (it would be AWESOME if vista would work) my next computer will definately be a mac. I'm actually pretty excited about this.

#5 ZMX

ZMX

WinMatrixian

• 110 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 01:09 AM

The big news yes, good.
But, What will Microsoft do?? ;)

#6 Rounder

Rounder

joejoe.org Manager

• 254 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 02:01 AM

Microsoft can't stop the thousand upon thousands of hackers that will get this working. Just like they claimed the Xbox was "unhackable". Yeah sure Microsoft... That's the biggest load of crap ever, someone one day decided hey I'll install a hard drive with linux on my xbox and SHAZAAM! The xbox was now modifiable by removing and replacing the hard drive. I mean come one guys, do you really think that MS can stop this? If they do I'll be VERY VERY surprised... like :woot: surprised... haha

#7 Kal-El

Kal-El

WinMatrixian

• 55 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 02:11 AM

If they get the new mac to run windows vista, i'll buy a mac even if it costs more. From the articles i read, XP runs faster on the apple computers than on normal PCs, what a shame.

#8 cmkumar2k

cmkumar2k

Super WinMatrixian

• Elites
  • 5,084 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 03:14 AM

that's really a gr8 news...... xploring more... thanks for the info and ready link buddy.. :)

#9 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 04:53 AM

You have to have a copy of XP With SP2 integrated (slipstreamed, as MS calls it) in to the disc, for you to run XP on a Macintel

#10 Shinde

Shinde

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,521 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 05:28 AM

Great news. Thanks for the information.

Edit:

Boot Camp Reviews:
:bulletblue: Apple's Boot Camp Could Enlist More Users on EWeek.com
:bulletblue: Macs running Windows won't shift balance on SiliconValley.com
:bulletblue: Q&A: What You Should Know About Macs Running Windows on PCWorld.com
:bulletblue: Apple Goes to Boot Camp on GameSpot.com

Posted Image [url="http://streaming.uneasysilence.com/media/ues/AppleMethodBig.mp4"]Walk through video of “Boot Camp”

Posted Image

Edited by Shinde, 12 April 2006 - 10:03 PM.

#11 Kal-El

Kal-El

WinMatrixian

• 55 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 05:57 AM

here are some screenshots i found of xp on mac.
The black Windows start screen on the iMac & Windows XP Bliss wallpaper
Posted Image
Posted Image
Now with Vista!
Posted Image

Edited by Kal-El, 11 April 2006 - 08:25 AM.

#12 The Silent Warrior

The Silent Warrior

Got Orange Stars?

• 2,574 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 06:24 AM

Recently I read news that there would be no Vista on Apple computers.

#13 Seventh Surfer

Seventh Surfer

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,897 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 06:34 AM

Microsoft: No Vista on Intel Macs

#14 TituFama

TituFama

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,392 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 07:21 AM

This is a good decision of Apple.
Now Windows addicted users will also buy Mac machines :D

#15 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 11:16 AM

This is a good decision of Apple.
Now Windows addicted users will also buy Mac machines :D

mac is getting W@Y better and better.
their ideas are supererb!

SUPERERB!

#16 ZMX

ZMX

WinMatrixian

• 110 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 12:45 PM

Microsoft can't stop the thousand upon thousands of hackers that will get this working. Just like they claimed the Xbox was "unhackable". Yeah sure Microsoft... That's the biggest load of crap ever, someone one day decided hey I'll install a hard drive with linux on my xbox and SHAZAAM! The xbox was now modifiable by removing and replacing the hard drive. I mean come one guys, do you really think that MS can stop this? If they do I'll be VERY VERY surprised... like :woot: surprised... haha

yeah, I know what you mean buddy, I know

Linux X-box
http://www.xbox-linu.../wiki/Main_Page

Linux Motorola cell phones
http://www.hi-mobile...Fully-Unlocked/

Linux Ipod
http://ipodlinux.org/Main_Page

yeah, hackers and creators are starting to reengnier things
so it works for them. :yes:

Oh yeah this is what I was talking about Partitioning
if you can set up Apple Boot Camp and can partition
and get Windows running on the same HD or on
a diffrent (if you can just partiton) and follow steps
you can install Linux.

Edited by ZMX, 07 April 2006 - 02:32 PM.

#17 Kal-El

Kal-El

WinMatrixian

• 55 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 03:48 PM

I'm begginning to think that maybe apple had this secret plan to switch to intel chips to enable their machines to tun Microsoft software and compete or something, what do you guys think?

#18 hugo

hugo

Proud to be Dutch!

• 468 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 09:58 PM

Woot!! I made it to get a topic in the frontpage news section. :lol:

Microsoft: No Vista on Intel Macs

Well this comes from apple.com:

EFI and BIOS
Macs use an ultra-modern industry standard technology called EFI to handle booting. Sadly, Windows XP, and even the upcoming Vista, are stuck in the 1980s with old-fashioned BIOS. But with Boot Camp, the Mac can operate smoothly in both centuries.

So i think vista is going to run on mac, whitout someone hacking it. B)

The big news yes, good.
But, What will Microsoft do?? ;)

here is your answer:

"Windows is a great operating system," a Microsoft statement said. "We're pleased that Apple customers are excited about running it, and that Apple is responding to meet the demand."

Edited by hugo, 07 April 2006 - 10:13 PM.

#19 pfaf

pfaf

Kickin' It Since 1986

• 314 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 10:14 PM

FANTASTIC :D :D :D

Edited by pfaf, 07 April 2006 - 10:14 PM.

#20 Virus Smith

Virus Smith

..not an agent.

• 1,707 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 04:37 AM

"Now Windows addicted users will also buy Mac machines"
:yes:

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!