True video iPod to sport 3.5-inch display

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 hugo

hugo

Proud to be Dutch!

• 468 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 09:28 PM

Think Secret can confirm recent rumblings that Apple is nearing completion of a completely revamped video iPod that will shed the ubiquitous mechanical click wheel for a touch screen and will sport a 3.5-inch diagonal display.

This video iPod, which has been in development and on the table since before Apple released the 5G iPod last year with video playback, will feature a display that will occupy the entire front face of the device. Sources who have seen the device report that it features a digital click wheel, one that overlays the touch-sensitive display and appears when a finger touches it and disappears when the finger is removed.

Apple has been working with at least two other companies to perfect the digital click wheel display technology. While not all the engineering was completed in-house by Apple, sources have said Apple could hold an exclusive license on the technologies it borrowed from other developers for a period of time, limiting the ability of competitors to copy Apple's design.

Additional details concerning the new iPod have yet to be confirmed, including capacity and a release date, although all indications point to the Spring, possibly as early as late March or early April. During the Macworld Expo San Francisco, Apple CEO Steve Jobs alluded to a major announcement on or around April 1, Apple's 30th anniversary as a company.

Like previous iPods, sources insist that this video iPod will lack any sort of wireless connectivity, and will continue to connect to televisions using the conventional cabling solution of current models.

While Apple no longer publicly releases the numbers for how many specific iPod models it sells, Think Secret has learned exclusively that during Apple's most recent December quarter, the company moved 3.9 million 5G iPods, exceeding internal estimates and confirming that strong demand remains for higher capacity, higher priced iPod models, especially with additional functionality. By comparison, 8 million iPod nanos were sold during the same period.

Readers will recall that during the brouhaha leading up to the October release of the 5G iPod last year, Think Secret maintained that the video iPod would not be released at the time and, following the roll-out of the 5G iPod, that that iPod was "not the video iPod" but rather a souped up 4G iPod with video capabilities. This forthcoming iPod revision is what sources have said for some time will be the incarnation of a complete video iPod solution.
Posted Image

#2 Neutron Nine

Neutron Nine

The One

• 1,871 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 09:50 PM

Damn now this is gonna make me excited :woot:

#3 HOz

HOz

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 10:02 PM

Very cool, Apple never fails to amaze me with their iPod line.

#4 HingVista

HingVista

Super WinMatrixian

• News Poster
  • 2,645 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 10:40 PM

Great portable media player :)

#5 DrunkMonkey

DrunkMonkey

WinMatrixian

• 235 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 12:05 AM

Just hope the screen doesn't scratch... ;)

I never really liked apple or the ipod (they seem to be more fashion accessories than good computers and gadgets and are a little overpriced), but something like this could be pretty cool.

That said, I am still waiting to see what Creative is going to do with that patent they were awarded that covers the song interface.

#6 kman

kman

Vista to the rescue!!!

• 470 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 01:32 AM

You know that people have been making that mock-up on iLounge for years now, right? Lol, that does confirm what I've been seeing lately... hmm, maybe it's time to get a new iPod..

#7 cmkumar2k

cmkumar2k

Super WinMatrixian

• Elites
  • 5,084 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 03:44 AM

it's taking my breath... huh.... time to take a plan on buying this.... let me C.....

#8 Flash848

Flash848

Flash848

• 1,830 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 06:04 PM

Apple's products have always been splendid.

#9 File Bounty Hunter

File Bounty Hunter

Bounty Hunter

• 74 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 12:27 AM

i can see a crack in that screen's future! :D

#10 Shinde

Shinde

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,521 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 06:43 PM

I'm impressed by this one. The existing video iPod doesn't look so good.

#11 Kal-El

Kal-El

WinMatrixian

• 55 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 01:49 AM

Its a nice idea but it will certantly get scratched. I am just waiting for the right one: Audio, TV/video, FM/am, recorder, remote, GPS, touch screen phone, and camera...

#12 RaZcaLinSIDe

RaZcaLinSIDe

New WinMatrixian

• 42 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 04:30 PM

Y'all should be looking at already available products !
Take a look at the Cowon iAudio A2 @ http://www.cowonamer...ducts/cowon/a2/
All the rumors are saying about possible specs/support of files are already included in the A2. + you get firmware updates every two weeks or so.
And the best of all is that this PMP is a real real real external drive ! No drivers needed. And even more it's UTG (USB to Go), you can plug your camera in it and upload your pictures !
Just take a look for fun. Much better product than what Apple does.
Review : http://www.dapreview...p?content.239.1

#13 jimeeboy51

jimeeboy51

My First Post!

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 06:25 AM

Here's a leak of the actual working touch screen video ipodL

http://savemanny.blo...video-ipod.html

#14 RaZcaLinSIDe

RaZcaLinSIDe

New WinMatrixian

• 42 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 01:49 PM

If I'm not wrong, these have all been considered fakes...
Where was it ... :huh:
Yeah, here : http://guides.macrum...eo_iPod_Mockups

I am sure thought that the final design will ressemble, something like those, but these are not the official product.

We'll probably see it very soon at the 30th anniversary event ... :whistle:

#15 Aqua Structure

Aqua Structure

long-time listener, first-time caller

• 1,595 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 06:56 PM

This is shopped. I can tell from the pixels and from seeing quite a few shops in my time.

#16 Faneramx

Faneramx

Active WinMatrixian

• 844 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 12:43 AM

i like this fakes! :lol:

#17 Areus

Areus

Legacy User

• 1,283 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 05:44 PM

i like this fakes! :lol:

Even if they are fakes, I think they portray what is to come of iPods. I don't think it is completely out of grasp here. I'm actually excited.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#18 Virus Smith

Virus Smith

..not an agent.

• 1,707 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 07:33 PM

Microsoft's Origami is going to give a tough competition to this video ipod and PSP

#19 sendo72

sendo72

Head of Porky Pig Fanclub

• 446 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 08:01 PM

Now that is b e a u t i f u l ! !

#20 zitos

zitos

zita tech

• 72 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 06:05 PM

damn ! that's not good at all
cause your fingertips will leave sweet on the screen , and u'll not gettin a clear view

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!