question about motherboards

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 MrDali

MrDali

WinMatrixian

• 100 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 10:32 PM

wazzaa...jeje...well, i have a little question which might be a little problem for me...well...my question is: is there a motherboard that has AGP/PCI/PCI Express slots (not all in one slot but all in the same motherboard)?..the thing is that my pc is really old and im gonna buy some new parts and since i have an nvidia geforce fx 5600 ultra (obsolete but what the heck) i dont want to spend more money on a new video card (specialy the new nvidia card which is like 600$) and i dont want to buy just a agp/pci slot motherboard cuz in some near future AGP and PCI wont be ussefull since de PCI Express is way much better and way way WAY much faster and i dont want a PCI/PCI Express motherboard cuz i then i have to buy a new video card and i dont wanna :( and if theres a motherboard that has all 3 slots would be perfect :D jejeje...so again...is there a motherboard that has AGP/PCI/PCI Express slots (not all in one slot but all in the same motherboard)?..and what are the combinations (AGP-PCI/AGP-PCI Express/PCI-PCI Express) that the new motherboards come out?

P.S:iif the motherboard does not exist...what should u do in my place?

THX

#2 Flash848

Flash848

Flash848

• 1,830 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 04:27 AM

PCI Express (16x) is a new version of AGP (8x) so I doubt that both slots can be there in a single mobo

#3 MrDali

MrDali

WinMatrixian

• 100 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 04:46 PM

mmm..ok...didnt know that...so what should u do in my case?...lets think u have a pentium 3 866MHz, 512 RAM, Soundblaster Live! 5.1, Nvidia GeForce FX 5600 ultra 256 Mg. and u want to upgrade ur pc to a pentium 4 3Ghz...what would u buy (do not include the sound card cuz i dont wanna change it)?

#4 Neutron Nine

Neutron Nine

The One

• 1,871 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 07:34 PM

No need to buy new PCI Express graphics card. Use the onboard graphics :P

#5 FX Soldier

FX Soldier

FX

• 1,677 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 07:43 PM

AGP is going to be dead so you have to buy a Motherboard with PCI Express slot

#6 zxmn

zxmn

I'm bored...

• 337 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 08:44 PM

if me, i will buy a new com coz
in my country, u can get:

P4 3.0 ghz
1gb ram
200gb hdd

at around 500+usd.

i dont know bout ur country, but in here the computer is getting cheap. just a suggestion.

#7 MrDali

MrDali

WinMatrixian

• 100 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 10:40 PM

thats the thing..ins the US (if its ur country) thing are cheaper but in my country thing arent that cheap and i cant spend a lot of $$$ cuz then when u change it to the Bs (money from my country) its a lot of money spent...iv done some search and a new motherboard, new RAM (cuz i have RAM cards that are 133 pins and new motherboards use 188 more or less pins) and a new processor its about like 600-700$ more or less..the thing is (talking to the one that said to use the onboard graphics), dude, come on...i have in mind to buy the lates nvidia video card but not know...when the prices are lower...anywho...and again i ask the question...what would u buy if u where in my case?

P.S: whats the best and at a low price motherboard?, should i buy with agp/pci or with pci/pci express?

#8 MrDali

MrDali

WinMatrixian

• 100 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 10:52 PM

by the way...how good is a PNY Verto GeForce 6600 GT 128MB DDR3 PCI Express Graphics Card?

i mean...is it better to buy this card for PCI Express or for AGP slots?

#9 MrDali

MrDali

WinMatrixian

• 100 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 10:55 PM

and what would be better for playing?...the card mention above for PCI Express or a GeForce 6800 GT OC 256MB GDDR3 for AGP?

#10 Sushee XP

Sushee XP

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,224 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 09:58 AM

I would never go for AGP. If you are a gamer, get a BFG GeForce 6600 GT PCI Express card ;)

#11 Dark-Articuno

Dark-Articuno

Active WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 554 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 02:40 PM

My motherboard inter D915Gav has no AGP slots for gfx cards. the built in graphics card is good but not for high-end resolution. Anyways get PCI since AGP is more expensive from what i've seen and PCI 's performance is almost double.

#12 -pepo

-pepo

Viva el fùtbol...!

• 440 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 01:22 AM

Yes there are AGP/PCI-E mainboards out there. PCI-E isn't nececeraly "way way WAY much faster" than AGP, I think you're overating it, right now PCI-E is only used for games so you definetly need PCI. However, AGP will be gone in the near future, so it's best to have PCI-E slot available. As far as video cards go the X800GTO is the best budget video card out there.

#13 Seventh Surfer

Seventh Surfer

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,897 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 02:30 AM

Anyways get PCI since AGP is more expensive from what i've seen and PCI 's performance is almost double.

Those are PCI Express cards, not PCI cards

#14 Dark-Articuno

Dark-Articuno

Active WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 554 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 02:04 PM

eh! well one thing. Anyways i wanted to know the price of X800 GTO
Anyone /

#15 -pepo

-pepo

Viva el fùtbol...!

• 440 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 08:19 PM

The GTO is a bit under $200.
The GTO2 is about $250-$270(this one is upgradable to a X850XT PE)

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!