The Beginner's Customization Thread

• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#121 MistaBishi

MistaBishi

MSI and Apple Fanboy :D

• 622 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 09:06 PM

^ Are you choosing the themes on the themes tab or the appearance tab? Try choosing Windows XP (Luna) in the appearance tab.

But if you want to uninstall it, i think (pretty sure) you just run the patcher again, and will give you the option to uninstall. I'm not sure, haven't used XP since 2007 :P

#122 John Mohr

John Mohr

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 08:20 AM

I am a teacher that has come across a really interesting tool that allows a user to interact with their display. The product is called Tablo and originates out of Korea. I am very grateful to posted apps offered by Amirz as schools in my area generally run XP Pro and I'd like to utilize XP for Tablet apps.

So far, the applications that would work well with this device would be:
MS Journal
MS Snipping Tool
MS Sticky Note

But, one additional feature that I'd like to bring into XP Pro for use with this device is the one that allows a user to rotate their screen orientation (generally Ctrl + arrow key). Although, I've seen that this works on some OS platforms (and some drivers for LCD displays), it seems that the XP Pro doesn't usually allow for this.

I've deduced that it is a XP tablet feature so that the user can work portrait or landscape.

Does anyone know if I've got this right?
Or, perhaps if there may be a portable app for this?

John

#123 AMIRZ

AMIRZ

Loyal Member and Friend

• 2,033 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 09:49 AM

:) First welcome to WinMatrix John Mohr. I have visited the site and read that it's compatible with both Xp and Vista as well (they didn't tell which version though). Have you tried to download and install the latest driver of it? Basically Xp Tablet PC (and also MCE) is just a superset of Xp Pro with some additional apps, APIs, settings and generic drivers. However if it's really a Tablet PC only app, then as i've ever said that in one post in my thread Here (sorry for the bad English "chaos" hehe) you can also convert your original Xp Pro (and Home) to real Xp Tablet PC 2005 OS without clean install by using this "Xp to Xp Tablet PC 2005 Transformation Pack": http://www.4shared.c...et_PC_2005.html maybe it can help you mate (Another mirror download link: http://depositfiles....files/173n1c4m1 )

Added: For transforming Xp to Xp MCE 2005 / Xp Media Center OS : "Xp Pro/Home/Tablet/2003 to Xp MCE 2005 Transformation Pack" without clean install, just download this one: http://depositfiles....files/e36w3x9ja

(Note: If you install both packs into Xp, you'll get which is called "Xp Ultimate Edition" (Xp MCE 2005 + Tablet PC 2005 into one OS (e.g Xp Pro) to get all MCE / Media Center and Tablet PC stuffs on single Xp OS). Don't forget to also install latest updates/hotfixes (e.g Xp SP3) to get the latest/most updated/patched Xp OS for good.

The convertion process may not be reversible though.

Just read and follow the simple guide (also included) carefully :) anyway good luck mate

Added (optional/not required): To make some tablet PC native apps (Journal, Inkball etc) look kinda "Vistaized" then you can also apply this pack after converting the OS: http://www.4shared.c...plications.html

Added again: You can also download more tools for Xp to Tablet PC 2005 / MCE 2005 "Transformation" (+guides) HERE (Change / convert Xp or Windows Server 2003 to Xp MCE 2005 / Tablet PC 2005 with completely the native applications (Journal, MCE, etc...), without clean install at all, and also make them look like the ones from Vista / Windows 7)...all for 100% free :P

- Alternative/better replacement for Windows Journal: Agilix GoBinder Lite Free (originally from Tablet PC Experience Pack), especially for school/students. Can also be installed on Xp Pro/Home etc (requires Windows Journal Viewer/Office 2003 or higher and .Net Framework 1.1 installed on Xp non-Tablet):
http://www.4shared.c...For_Xp_All.html

Edit: Have you installed Tablet PC Input Panel for Xp Pro yet before? If so, then try to open Control Panel -> "Tablet PC Settings" applet -> Display. I'm not too sure but maybe it can help you without converting the Xp Pro OS to Tablet PC

Edited by AMIRZ, 26 July 2009 - 10:41 AM.

#124 John Mohr

John Mohr

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 03:35 PM

Thank you very much AMIRZ. I really appreciate all of the advice you have given me for this. Over the next day or so, I am going to implement the tips you have given me. I think I will start with the Input Panel first to see if it will allow me to rotate the display. Besides, I also like the virtual keyboard tool as well. I will let you know how it works out.

Again, thank you very much.

BTW, do you know if my district were to install these features, if Microsoft would raise any questions about licencing and the like? Like, I'm not sure if there was a higher price for the XP Tablet OS because of its added value and customization. We do have licencing for the XP Pro, but whether or not Input Panel, Journal, etc. would be covered with this licence, I'm not sure. Do you have any thoughts on this?

John

#125 AMIRZ

AMIRZ

Loyal Member and Friend

• 2,033 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 02:18 PM

Thank you very much AMIRZ. I really appreciate all of the advice you have given me for this. Over the next day or so, I am going to implement the tips you have given me. I think I will start with the Input Panel first to see if it will allow me to rotate the display. Besides, I also like the virtual keyboard tool as well. I will let you know how it works out.

Again, thank you very much.

BTW, do you know if my district were to install these features, if Microsoft would raise any questions about licencing and the like? Like, I'm not sure if there was a higher price for the XP Tablet OS because of its added value and customization. We do have licencing for the XP Pro, but whether or not Input Panel, Journal, etc. would be covered with this licence, I'm not sure. Do you have any thoughts on this?

John

:D Yo're very welcome John thanks. About license and Tablet PC apps issue mmm legally it's still a "grey area" when we're just talking about free (unofficial) distribution and use of any Microsoft binaries here (remember Autopatcher?) but again just don't worry i think it's 100% OK so far and "permitted" especially for personal and non-commercial use without any "bad purpose" related to "piracy". I ever asked MS guy about that then he told me that it was OK but MS won't support it technically nor provide specific update/fix (even paid) for it if we got some technical problem someday. Also if you only install the the hacked tablet PC apps on your Xp Pro then your license won't be affected at all since the OS is still Xp Pro (you can check the system properties after), but otherwise if you convert it to real Xp Tablet PC 2005 as i said first above, then maybe yes bcoz the OS will become Xp Tablet PC 2005 (optimized for Tablet PC hardwares) not Xp Pro anymore. However the both OSes will still always be genuine and recognized as genuine OS by MS/Windows Update etc (WPA and WGA are not affected at all). Yeah nothing to worry just do the best you think imo hehe :P anyway good luck mate :)

Oh sorry forgot just FYI here original Xp Tablet PC 2005 OS was never available legally as retail box but 100% free for OEM instead (only come preinstalled with the Tablet PC itself) so too bad you can't get it legally without purchasing Tablet PC hardware, unless you're either a MSDN subscriber or MS-MVP

Edited by AMIRZ, 18 May 2009 - 04:29 PM.

#126 AMIRZ

AMIRZ

Loyal Member and Friend

• 2,033 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 04:30 PM

Oops sorry double posts again please ignore this...

^ Edit: (First sorry for just editing but below is better than making such useless post here lol :D btw thanks to Syzygy below hehehe...)

EDIT: To get more cross platformed applications and features from mainly Vista, Windows 7, also Xp MCE 2005 and Tablet PC 2005 OSes etc to Windows Xp (all versions: Pro, Home, MCE, Tablet, starter etc) and even Windows Server 2003 in order to customize and enhance it/them etc, again please don't forget to also visit such these topics here below (very recommended by me, as you might miss them before), again not meant to promote them here but only for helping other people who may need the info, and writing this is still better than making such useless post here like i said above hehehe... :) :

1) List of Most Vista (included Windows 7) Applications and Features for Xp, (MS and Third Parties):
http://www.winmatrix...showtopic=20480

2) Windows 7 Applications, Tools, And Features for Xp (Simple), Separated Post (Simple):
http://www.winmatrix...showtopic=21246

Finally thanks for your attention everybody, anyway good luck and happy customizing and enhancing your Windows especially Xp in anyways... ;) cya.

Edited by AMIRZ, 13 June 2009 - 06:29 PM.

#127 Syzygy

Syzygy

Zing.

• 3,470 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 06:29 AM

Oops sorry double post again please ignore this...

Yes, just 'double post' 2 hours after your original.

lol :lol:

#128 AMIRZ

AMIRZ

Loyal Member and Friend

• 2,033 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 07:48 AM

Oops sorry double post again please ignore this...

Yes, just 'double post' 2 hours after your original.

lol :lol:

:P Sorry i meant that just after editing and quoting my post then i thought that it should be only a single post, so i cancelled it hehe

Sorry LOL :D

Edit: the exceeded post has already been edited by me for "more usefulness" as well hehehe

Edited by AMIRZ, 13 June 2009 - 06:35 PM.

#129 Catherine Prickett

Catherine Prickett

My First Post!

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 05:25 AM

I have a complete noob-type question.

I've been using Desktop Architect, and love it to death: I can build simple themes with wallpaper, colours, icons, cursors, and sounds. Unfortunately, it's not being updated anymore, and the programmer seems to have vanished. And it's not fully compatible with Windows XP.

So, I've been looking for a program which allows for that much ease and freedom in building and applying themes. I haven't gotten much in the way of leads.

Uxtheme and StyleXP look like they might be good, but I'm not clear on whether they allow the user to pick icons, cursors, and so on.

Thanks for your time,
Cat

#130 Rudy

Rudy

Not a Geek...

• 70 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 05:48 PM

I have a complete noob-type question.

I've been using Desktop Architect, and love it to death: I can build simple themes with wallpaper, colours, icons, cursors, and sounds. Unfortunately, it's not being updated anymore, and the programmer seems to have vanished. And it's not fully compatible with Windows XP.

So, I've been looking for a program which allows for that much ease and freedom in building and applying themes. I haven't gotten much in the way of leads.

Uxtheme and StyleXP look like they might be good, but I'm not clear on whether they allow the user to pick icons, cursors, and so on.

Thanks for your time,
Cat

welcome to winmatrix. mmm how about stardock object desktop? full xp/vista compatible, but yea unlike desktop architecht its 100% a shareware though... :whistle:

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!