DivX

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 old5chool

old5chool

WinMatrixian

• 162 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 08:54 PM

So many years (later), so many (perpetual) problems with this software. Will they, ever, just *fix* it and let us watch, LOL.

• Downloaded the latest DivXInstaller.exe 67.2 MB (70,475,760 bytes) on Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1
  • Offline installer link is @download.divx.com/divx/standalone/DivXInstaller.exe
  • Their web page, divx.com/en/software/divx (which is the web installer)
  • Launched it, presented with a dialog: "DivX Setup, An update for DivX software is available. Would you like to install the latest components?"
  • Sure, yes, why not... Comodo Firewall confirms execution of the new, update, installer connecting to the web - everything is going to work, right?..
  • Nope, not gonna happen; new dialog: "DivX Setup, An error has occured, setup will now terminate."
  • "OK" - buh-bye xD

... Anyway, I can remember a couple of times that I had been able to install and use it here-and-there - on various, previous, operating systems and installations. Sometimes. Today, however, gonna have to continue working on how (the heck, hehe) will I be able to load this video. ;-/

Ofc., eventually, it'll work - whether I'll use a different plugin, browser, whatever, to decompress teh web play content and watch the video; but, why does this company still exist (lolz) & better yet: why, in the world, are people -even- using their encoder, still. :D

P.S.
Checked on Softpedia.com & the installers are (all) coming from the same address:

1. download.divx.com/ 4 the offline &
  2. dist.divx.com/ 4 the web installer...

#2 old5chool

old5chool

WinMatrixian

• 162 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 09:14 PM

Oh, that was funny... Only, I hadn't checked the Task Manager to see what's going on exactly (dunno if I'll bother with the logs :)); but, used the web installer - and it's "a virus" (lolz). Here's what I got, screenshots (2):

4iS4iQv.png

88PYli2.png

:D :D

Edit: Hehe, at least it seems to be installed: i.imgur.com/m4BWnsv.png

Attached Files

• Attached File  LOL.png   41.06K   1 downloads
  • Attached File  BOOM.png   20.26K   3 downloads

Edited by old5chool, 16 March 2016 - 09:18 PM.

#3 christianbclark

christianbclark

WinMatrixian

• 198 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 09:49 AM

Oh, that was funny... Only, I hadn't checked the Task Manager to see what's going on exactly (dunno if I'll bother with the logs :)); but, used the web installer - and it's "a virus" (lolz). Here's what I got, screenshots (2):

4iS4iQv.png

88PYli2.png

:D :D

Edit: Hehe, at least it seems to be installed: i.imgur.com/m4BWnsv.png

how good is Comodo Cloud Antivirus ?

#4 old5chool

old5chool

WinMatrixian

• 162 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 04:49 PM

Hi, sorry about that... As of lately, I don't (really) keep up with everything 4 some reason. :-/

I just don't know about the Comodo (Cloud) Antivirus, or any anti-vir for that matter, I use Comodo is as a rule-based firewall. When installing, there's a checkbox hidden within the setup options to disable prompts - which can be removed (and later, the same can be set from options - firewall settings); then, enable advanced settings and set it to the custom ruleset. Disable the HIPS and enable the sandbox...

This way, all programs accessing the Internet can be blocked and whatever wants to hook into the files is prompted by the sandbox... After Tiny Personal Firewall and Kerio Personal Firewall (2.15) died on newer (than XP) versions of Windows - it's one of the rare programs which has such simple access control.

^^ Others are inter-connected with their own versions of 'HIPS' and complicated to manage (on manual settings, which is crucial. :))

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!