• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 old5chool

old5chool

WinMatrixian

• 162 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 01:01 AM

Alright, I've lost the plot... Who can help me out, please:

EVERYWHERE I look, there are instructions to use (download) the Media Creation Tool or Tech Bench to do the install. Looking for the (2015) November update (edit: err, apparently NOT November, it's newer, this new(est) build), Windows 10 Build 10586 ISO. Here are those links:

Which will not work. I'm able to get the files, ofc., the MCT tool will run - lets me select the options and get the file(s), for example: 1) Windows.iso Pro N, 3.12 GB (3,354,132,480 bytes) x64 and 2) Windows.iso 32-bit and 64-bit (Both), 5.52 GB (5,931,335,680 bytes) and so on

- AND it installs Windows 10 Build 10240, which is -just- the RTM version and NOT the update.

Also, the Tech Bench web site lets me get the files (surprisingly, unlike the tool, the correct build), for example: 1) Win10_1511_SingleLang_English_x64.iso, 3.67 GB (3,946,579,968 bytes) and 2) Win10_1511_N_English_x64.iso
- AND once it's installed, not using a serial, it installs the Home version; which, needless to say, is useless. ;/

So, honestly, I don't follow: how can these hundreds (100s) of sites and the official microsoft.com/ web site exist, in this reality (it's been like an episode of Twilight Zone today)?.. How has anyone gotten Windows 10 1511 Build 10586 Professional - besides running Windows Update from their existing installation (which, currently, installs Build 10586.3)?

That ISO file, do I already have it, is it one of the _x64.iso files - and all I need to do is use a serial to have Home automagically become Pro?! o.0 WTF do I do??

*Because, what is this insanity - of their tool downloading the RTM version & the web page offering the updated version... Am I missing something, IDK., WTH is going on. :-0

P.S.
There is "Windows 10 Tech Bench Upgrade Program Documentation" on the Tech Bench web site and if you download the file with all of the PDFs, there's one titled: "Windows 10 Upgrade Program Installation Guide for New PCs.pdf" (& all of the titles are ambiguous) & when you open it, it says: "New PC purchase upgrading Windows 8.1 to Windows 10".

So, web sites are offering information how Tech Bench can be used to get an ISO and clean install (which you can do), but all of the documentation only talks about upgrading. I swear, I'm not making this up (LOL):

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=619825

@http://www.televisio...sion_(The).html

#2 old5chool

old5chool

WinMatrixian

• 162 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 01:03 AM

Hopefully, somebody can make sense of all this (my terrible topic :)); Basically what are people doing for a Retail, OEM, install.. Surely not getting the RTM 10240 Build and letting customers deal with it. xD

Edit: Alright, looks like I got it!.. Temporary solution, until someone can provide an answer to this -whole- mess, teh .esd files are available @

http://www.softpedia...indows-10.shtml

Oh, the last file which I had gotten from the Tech Bench ACTUALLY gave the install option to choose between Pro /and Home; the downloaded file: Win10_1511_N_English_x64.iso 3.47 GB (3,726,878,720 bytes)

^^ Others, such as the Win10_1511_SingleLang_English_x64.iso hadn't, go figure... Guess that I might build some, from the .esd files (from Softpedia), once I get into the environment - to be able to use PowerShell ISE, but -thankfully- it's possible to get the install ISO! Hallelujah!! :D

Edited by old5chool, 05 March 2016 - 01:51 AM.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!