• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Darren 54

Darren 54

Active WinMatrixian

• 548 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 12:12 PM

7XVt4vB.jpg?1

If you have automatic updates turned on in Windows 7 or 8.1, your OS will quietly download Windows 10 for you, weather you chose to reserve your Windows 10 free upgrade or not. It's not yet confirmed if it's a bug or Microsoft is doing this intentionally. The only way to stop it, for now, is to turn automatic updates off and update your Windows manually.

If there's a hidden ‘$Windows.~BT’ folder in the root directory of your main hard drive (usually C: drive), it means Microsoft has already started downloading Windows 10 for you. The download will be between 3.5GB to 6GB of data.

Source: The Inquirer

#2 P.McGinley

P.McGinley

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,086 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 06:28 AM

But we don't have any reason to not to upgrade, or do we have any?

#3 Darren 54

Darren 54

Active WinMatrixian

• 548 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 04:06 AM

It's about preference and choices.

#4 old5chool

old5chool

WinMatrixian

• 162 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 05:59 PM

It's not yet confirmed if it's a bug or Microsoft is doing this intentionally.

Nobody knows what Micro$oft is doing, not even their employees. Indian army (Jesus Christ) which floods their forums, sporting all sorts of "M$Professional" signatures, is clueless - Every. Single. Time (they would do good to pack a dictionary, but that's another story, hehe). There are hundreds and thousands of the same thread(s), over-and-over-again repeating the same incorrect answer to questions. Good luck finding an answer there (chances are, you won't; unless you're a housewife, wondering why the mouse won't click), blah. xD

I'm so sick of it, LOL. They have NO problem downloading gigabytes of data through my ISP (just imagine the people on metered connections, when anything goes wrong), but when I want to download Windows 10 - by myself - it can't be done.

Used their tool to try and get a/the ISO, however, it only downloads the older build for me: Version 10.0 (Build 10240); then I used their web page, to try and get a copy and it gave me the right one, the new update which I had been looking for: Version 1511 (OS Build 10586.0), BUT it's the Home version (LMAO).

^^ No gpedit.msc to control the tireless Windows Update, which can't be disabled and wants to download, download, download all of the time; can't Disable Windows Defender, which wants to control my life - and so on, and so forth (list is really, really, long).

Why is this happening, WHAT are they doing (& why, what for). We, simply *have* to move away from Windows 7 - because of the hardware /software support, utilization and management - it's not an option. However, because of them, it IS an issue.

... You know - and, pretty sure that I used this before, somewhere - like Chris Rock had said, back in the day: "I'm tired [..] man! Tired, tired, tired!"

http://movie-sounds.org/stand-up-comedy-sound-clips/sound-clips-from-chris-rock-bring-the-pain-1996/i-m-tired-of-this-shit-man-tired-tired-tired

(Don't get me wrong, please, this was a rant. I know that it can be done - obviously, the ISOs are available, just: I'd, much, prefer if I didn't have to do handstands, while peeling a banana, to get it done - you know, heh. :))

#5 old5chool

old5chool

WinMatrixian

• 162 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 06:07 PM

Had to post again, just to clarify my xenophobic remarks... When I used to do customer (and technical) support - back-office administration AND VoIP: whenever a call came in, the people on the other end warily inquired what country I'm from & where we're based, at (as English isn't my first language) & I suppose that the tone of the conversation became more relaxed (every time, it had been a regular occurrence) as I used to inform them that I am not from the Middle /Far East, bah! (So, I'm not making that chit up myself)

Edit: OR, hm, was my post -totally- useless and the Pro/Home is determined by serial number; & those two versions which were listed are one-and-the-same, only marked differently... Or, is the former true and the latter - I'll have to look for another download. Just confusing myself, now, really... Guess that I must be tired from having re-installed 100 Oracle VM VirtualBox images. :$

Edited by old5chool, 04 March 2016 - 06:39 PM.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: windows 10