Windows 10 is free if you have Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 installed in your PC. You have whole one year for upgrading to Windows 10. After fully updating your Windows OS, you will see a small Windows 10 icon in the system tray...click this to upgrade.
The version of Windows 10 you'll receive via automatic update will depend on the version of Windows you're upgrading from.
- The users of Windows 7 Starter, Windows 7 Home Basic, Windows 7 Home Premium and Windows 8.1 editions will get Windows 10 Home.
- The users of Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate and Windows 8.1 Pro will get Windows 10 Pro
Minimum System Requirements
- 1 GHz processor.
- 1 GB memory for Windows 10 32-bit; 2GB for 64-bit.
- 16GB free hard disk space for Windows 10 32-bit; or 20GB for 64-bit.
- DirectX 9 (or later) compatible graphics card.
- 1024x600 display resolution.
The Get Windows 10 app which will help to upgrade, will scan your PC for incompatible installed software and alert you to any issues. It will remove any incompatible application and OEM applications during installation, after informing you about it.
Remember, you will lose Windows Media Center, Desktop Gadgets in Windows 7 and some Windows games including Solitaire, Minesweeper and Hearts games.
Don't upgrade now is you plan to buy a new CPU/Motherboard this year:
Windows 10 is free for Windows 7 and 8 users but after the upgrade process, Windows 10 will be tied to your existing hardware. If you plan to upgrade your PC this year, then it is recommended to install your new CPU/Motherboard first and then upgrade to Windows 10 for free.
Windows 10 Price
If you plan to purchase Windows 10 for a new PC, then the OS isn't free for you.
- Windows 10 Home is available for $119.
- Windows 10 Pro is priced at $199.
- Upgrades from Home to Pro are available for $99.
If I missed something, please post in the comments section.