Google released the Hangouts Chrome App for Windows and Chrome OS -- a simpler, faster way to use Hangouts on your computer alongside whatever else you’re doing. It works outside of your browser so your chats are always available, not tucked away inside a window. You’ll get all your messages as long as you have the app running, and your chats will sync across Hangouts on all your devices.
- Native app experience. Hangouts runs in the background and notifies you of new messages and incoming calls with animated notifications.
- Always-on-top avatars. Your friends’ avatars animate on your screen and stay on top so you never miss an important message.
- Auto-minimizing chat windows. Chat windows auto minimize when you’re inactive to avoid cluttering your screen.
- Message previews. Hover over any avatar to get a peek at the most recent message.
- Drag and drop. Position the app anywhere on your screen, including multi-monitor configurations. You can also pop out important conversations and pin them to your desktop.
- Keyboard Shortcuts. Navigate between chats quickly using your favorite Chrome shortcuts.
- Google Voice support. Connect your Google Voice account to make calls, send and receive SMS, and access your voicemail.
Download the Hangouts Chrome App