• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 The Alpha Gamer

The Alpha Gamer

Active WinMatrixian

• 996 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 05:39 PM

How do you play PC games online?

I've been playing console games for over 20 years, but only recently got in to PC gaming. I don't know how to host a server and doubt my computer is even good enough to host a server. I've played a couple of MMO's which obviously I just had to connect to, but then I also play Minecraft where I have to rent a server. Surely you don't have to rent or set up a server for every game you want to play online? Do most games have their online modes ready like console games and I just haven't found any of those yet?

#2 pcHuntqwerty

pcHuntqwerty

QWERTY

• 1,999 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:32 PM

Almost all the games in which the number of online players is low (2 to 4), allow you to host the server and invite your friends. Games like Battlefield and COD, where number of online players are high, you need to connect to a dedicated server via built-in server browser.

#3 The Alpha Gamer

The Alpha Gamer

Active WinMatrixian

• 996 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 12:03 AM

Almost all the games in which the number of online players is low (2 to 4), allow you to host the server and invite your friends.

Yeah see I just want a nice quiet game with my gf. So what kind of specs do you need to host a server? I have a Dell Inspiron 1545

#4 P.McGinley

P.McGinley

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,086 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:53 PM

It depends upon game to game but a Dell Inspiron 1545 with a decent Internet connection can easily host 4-player co-op game.

I used to host Dead Island and Far Cry 3 for my friends on my 3-year old laptop.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!