• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Darren 54

Darren 54

Active WinMatrixian

• 548 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:33 AM

MGlsbLH.jpg

I hate moving my mouse cursor to the top corner of the screen then clicking on Setting and then the power icon for shutting down my PC.

Shutting down your PC will be easier in Windows 8.1 Update 1

#2 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:29 PM

I wish they added the shutdown options to the user menu instead of having a separate button in the start screen, but oh well, this will at least shut the whiners up.

this is how Windows 8.1 update 1 should look like:

windows8.1-update-concept-1B.jpg

as of now, ways to shut down your PC:

1) Charms > settings
2) Right click on start button (win+X menu) > shut down
3) Alt+ F4 on the desktop
4) ctrl+alt+del

and people still complain.

#3 hb860

hb860

Super WinMatrixian

• Developer
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:21 PM

No useful way to shutdown.
That's why they complain.
Personally, i use my pinned shortcut for the Shutdown dialog

REALLY useful way for me.

#4 ~{/^OoMoO^\}~

~{/^OoMoO^\}~

Active WinMatrixian

• 549 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:58 AM

^^

This is really better, thanks for the trick hb860.

#5 mediar

mediar

Active WinMatrixian

• 468 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:00 AM

1) Charms > settings
2) Right click on start button (win+X menu) > shut down
3) Alt+ F4 on the desktop
4) ctrl+alt+del

and people still complain.

Well, there may be multiple ways to shut your PC down, but none of them is really intuitive. Just look at them - all of them involve remembering some useless keyboard combinations or digging down deep through some invisible system menus here and there to find the simple shut down button... What a crap! Gosh, I still don't know how to get rid of all the opened metro apps in the left *invisible* taskbar, because neither there's X button on the thumbnails, nor swiping like in Android works... Metro still seems to be complete mess...

#6 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:16 PM

Well, there may be multiple ways to shut your PC down, but none of them is really intuitive. Just look at them - all of them involve remembering some useless keyboard combinations or digging down deep through some invisible system menus here and there to find the simple shut down button... What a crap! Gosh, I still don't know how to get rid of all the opened metro apps in the left *invisible* taskbar, because neither there's X button on the thumbnails, nor swiping like in Android works... Metro still seems to be complete mess...

I should also add

5) PRESS THE POWER BUTTON ON YOUR DEVICE.

Anyway, metro apps do not need to be closed. Windows 8 automatically manages the apps for you, and you can close apps by dragging them down to the bottom of the screen. Windows 8.1 update 1 or Windows 9 will add a "x" button to apps as well.

#7 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:07 AM

Did you suddenly forget how to right click overnight?

Attached File  Screenshot (2054).png   34.17K   14 downloads

#8 mediar

mediar

Active WinMatrixian

• 468 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:05 AM

Did you suddenly forget how to right click overnight?

attachicon.gifScreenshot (2054).png

Yea, really, how could I forget... I should have used the right finger! Or... Does the touchscreen really distinguish which finger have I used? I why the f*ck should I ever think of using right-click in a tablet UI???  :mellow: But as I said earlier, digging down deep through some invisible system menus for basic commands is not an option... I though Metro was about simplicity, but suddenly everything is so much more complicated! What's the point then?

And yeah, shutting down the PC using the hardware power button was the first thing we were learned not to do, and suddenly - you should do it exactly this way! And we're talking about real shut down here - not the sleep or stand-by mode, known from the tablets and smartphones. I still don't think long-press on the power button ( as we do on the smartphones and tablets ) is the right way to shut your PC down.

#9 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:05 PM

Yea, really, how could I forget... I should have used the right finger! Or... Does the touchscreen really distinguish which finger have I used? I why the f*ck should I ever think of using right-click in a tablet UI???  :mellow: But as I said earlier, digging down deep through some invisible system menus for basic commands is not an option... I though Metro was about simplicity, but suddenly everything is so much more complicated! What's the point then?

And yeah, shutting down the PC using the hardware power button was the first thing we were learned not to do, and suddenly - you should do it exactly this way! And we're talking about real shut down here - not the sleep or stand-by mode, known from the tablets and smartphones. I still don't think long-press on the power button ( as we do on the smartphones and tablets ) is the right way to shut your PC down.

Metro isn't a tablet only UI. This has been there from the start. Had you actually taken the time to use it, you'd know this. You can right click in apps and in the Start Screen as well with your mouse.

FYI, on a tablet, to close these apps, you just drag down. Not that hard.

#10 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:28 PM

Dude. What on earth. You make me want to do this:

Face_Wall.jpg

I'm really sorry to say this, but at this point I'm pretty convinced that your lack of knowledge is a bigger issue than the flaws in than Windows 8's design, and sadly, all the fuss around the shut down command comes from people like you that don't even know how the power button works.

#11 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:50 AM

Why is that a bad thing? That's all kids know to do today. They never knew the shutdown procedure for Win95. Eitherway, you can customize what your physical power button does on your tower. I have mine set to put my computer to sleep, and I press it daily.

#12 Borix

Borix

Active WinMatrixian

• 823 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 11:38 AM

Calling people with valid usability complains whiners is not a good start point for a good discussion on this forum.

MS also realized they cannot ignore these valid usability complains and these adjustments (8.1 and further) are proof of that.

So we are given more options by MS to customize windows to behave like we like it to work >>> everybody happy!!

Peace to all :)

#13 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 05:40 PM

Calling people with valid usability complains whiners is not a good start point for a good discussion on this forum.
MS also realized they cannot ignore these valid usability complains and these adjustments (8.1 and further) are proof of that.

So we are given more options by MS to customize windows to behave like we like it to work >>> everybody happy!!

Peace to all :)
You know what else all these complains, adjustments, and discussions make me realize? That users don't know what they want either, and Microsoft's initial vision for Windows was just as valid as all these whiners, and I'm not going to ignore that either.

I'm sure users will be happy now but a few years down the road, users are all going to be like "lulz my Windoze PC, it's been the same since 1990, M$ as usual, Android is bset, Android > Sliced bread" and then blame Microsoft again anyway, so what the hell.

Peace!!

#14 Borix

Borix

Active WinMatrixian

• 823 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:24 PM

You know what else all these complains, adjustments, and discussions make me realize? That users don't know what they want either, and Microsoft's initial vision for Windows was just as valid as all these whiners, and I'm not going to ignore that either.

I'm sure users will be happy now but a few years down the road, users are all going to be like "lulz my Windoze PC, it's been the same since 1990, M$ as usual, Android is bset, Android > Sliced bread" and then blame Microsoft again anyway, so what the hell.

Peace!!

No one is discussing the validity of MS initial vision here, just the implementation which you yourself described as flawed. And that it is flawed at start is no problem as long as MS makes the right adjustments.

Users know what they want most of the time. It is just that there is no one user, but lots of different users with different needs and work flows. And at the end of they day it is about selling the actual OS software and not the future vision behind it all.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: windows 8.1