18 replies to this topic

#1 Burned Phoenix

Burned Phoenix

WinMatrix Addict

• News Poster
  • 3,488 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 08:32 PM

IuR8hOI.jpg
Microsoft is planning to drop the Windows 8 name ASAP. The next Windows update "Threshold" will most likely be called Windows 9 according to Paul Thurrott, and will be shipped in April 2015. Windows 8 Update 1 which is a service pack type update is still on the roadmap for this year. The Update 1 will be much focused on Windows Phone and Xbox integration where as the "Threshold" update will be released as a new name (Windows 9) and will see the return of the Start menu and the ability to run Metro-style apps on the desktop alongside desktop applications. Modern (Metro UI) will be a major focus area of "Threshold"

We can expects three milestone releases (Beta, Release Candidate, etc.) of "Threshold" before its final release in April 2015.

Update: The well known leaker WZor has tweeted in response to the earlier speculation that Microsoft will RTM (release to manufacturing) Windows 9 by 21 October 2014.

#2 maac

maac

Mr Smiley

• Validating
  • 267 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 09:28 PM

• Return of the Start Menu
  • Windowed Metro Apps

• New Feature

This is beyond ironic.

Windows 8 really was a step backwards then. Yes, it had new features and new ideas but to me it seems like an unncessesary step has been made between two operating systems. Windows 9 will have the features that Windows 8 should have had. It's really a shame from multiple perspectives: Consumers had to use a product for testing purposes - Microsoft used it to see consumer reaction which led to bad experiences. It is also bad for Microsoft because they will have to bring old things back to a new system. Wasted resources I'd say.

#3 Darcena

Darcena

WinMatrixian

• 100 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 09:35 PM

So Windows 8 was really like Windows Vista, where Microsoft experimented with some new features and perfected them in the next version.

#4 Eye Pie Rate

Eye Pie Rate

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,180 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 03:21 AM

Windows 9 (or maybe 9.1?) might just the the last installable Windows OS. Cloud computing is still in its infancy compared to what is coming. 

#5 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:07 AM

Windows 9 (or maybe 9.1?) might just the the last installable Windows OS. Cloud computing is still in its infancy compared to what is coming. 

People can't even deal with the change that is Windows 8, and you're suggesting that the biggest change, an OS that isn't installed but instead runs on the cloud, is the future? Come on. People are going to avoid that in droves. Also doesn't help that the US government totally f*cked up trust in cloud computing.

If anything, we aren't moving forward, we are moving backward, and Windows 9 is backpedalling, moving Windows back into how we've been using it for the past two decades, since Windows 95. This is what us users want! This is progress!

Just before anyone quotes me and says that their PC is fine the way it is, i'll say it is not. Users and Developers out there are constantly annoyed by their computers for being so complex and find using and developing for iPads and Smartphones a more pleasant experience (thus we have no new apps on the PC). Since Windows 9 is backpedalling, our PC's are going to continue being crap, with no new apps, except for the fact that it does Photoshop, Games, and Office, all of which are being challenged in the market right now.

I hope people realize that this is not the way forward. Sure, we'll be happy with using our computers the same way from 2 decades ago, but the platform might fall behind, and more pleasant tablets are going to be an obvious choice for users and developers. When that happens (hell, it's already happening), we can't just stick with Windows 7, because the entire boat is sinking. That will be disaster.

#6 Borix

Borix

Active WinMatrixian

• 823 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:16 PM

People *snip*

Change for the sake of change is no progress, see windows 9.

The desktop PC and its apps have matured, that's why there is a reclining market and little program development. You seem to turn this argument around all the time. Users will determine the time and direction not MS. 

You cannot convince photoshop users to start using fresh paint. Pimped web apps don't convince no one to start using metro on a desktop.

#7 yanike

yanike

I am YM. If you don't know me, you will.

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 02:24 PM

So, Windows 7 SE..I mean..9 will be released sometime around April 2015.

Nice!

#8 BinaryChaos

BinaryChaos

WinMatrixian

• 169 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 03:17 PM

@ Eye Pie Rate

How is Cloud going to be the future of computing? That's the most insane thing I've ever heard. If some how that holds true don't you think people are just going to design their own operating systems so they can just do their work offline? I'm sure there are programmers out there right now that can create Windows 95 from scratch in 20 minutes. On top of that with the constant hacking taking place and the NSA building some super computer that can crack any kind of encryption code in existence within minutes do you really think people would want to do any kind of computing online unless it's business related? There are so many factors working against the cloud world that it isn't funny even though Adobe is trying to adapt to it with their next Creative Suite only being accessed online with an annual fee. This will not work for Adobe because:

1. not everyone can access the internet to use a popular program that has now become an inconvenience.

2. Adobe has stiff competition with graphic design programs that offer their software for free that can be downloaded.

In my opinion Cloud is just a fad that will eventually die or be reduced to just being something that comes with a gaming console and email account.

#9 Borix

Borix

Active WinMatrixian

• 823 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 03:51 PM

Cloud is the future.

If you imagine how much you can do without internet connection (or server connection) nowadays or how much you use the internet browser on a daily bases you will know which direction the future is. It is the logical next step.

And I will not make much of a difference for the NSA anyway.

It will be gradually and not like switch, only when users don't notice the change will it succeed (magical).

I for example have not touched a MP3 since streaming.

#10 BinaryChaos

BinaryChaos

WinMatrixian

• 169 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:55 PM

@Borix

I agree with you that Cloud will be needed in certain medias just like the example(s) you've presented but it's like the industry is pushing you to be dependent on the internet for everything since once a upon a time everything you ever needed was provided on disc like for example the Microsoft encyclopedia use to be a needed software to have next to their office suites but now Microsoft discontinued selling the discs since the explosion of Wikipedia.

All I'm saying though is it's just crazy to think when you buy a computer the only way to get the Operating System working is by being online other from that the computer is pretty much a paper weight that can't perform simple functions like mathematical calculations since the Operating System is absent so to speak. It's a complete inconvenience to people who travel a lot especially those by plane unless you have a 4G connection but your internet connection will always be disrupted by the elements. People will notice the transition to cloud because now everyone is on full alert about Adobes next strategy with the cloud and people are voicing their opinions that their temple will crumble.

#11 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:57 AM

• Return of the Start Menu
  • Windowed Metro Apps

• New Feature

This is beyond ironic.

Windows 8 really was a step backwards then. Yes, it had new features and new ideas but to me it seems like an unncessesary step has been made between two operating systems. Windows 9 will have the features that Windows 8 should have had. It's really a shame from multiple perspectives: Consumers had to use a product for testing purposes - Microsoft used it to see consumer reaction which led to bad experiences. It is also bad for Microsoft because they will have to bring old things back to a new system. Wasted resources I'd say.

The Windows 7 Start Menu is dead, and it's not coming back. Paul Thurrott is living in a dream land. However, Peter Bright at Ars Technica states that whatever the "Start Menu" is, it'll be something new.

"So what'll be in Threshold? The two things Thurrott says are a way of running Metro apps on the desktop and a reinstatement of the Start menu. Our sources say that's only sort of true, and that it won't be the Start menu as such but rather something new. Start menuesque, perhaps, but not a literal Start menu."

http://arstechnica.c...l-2015-arrival/

#12 hb860

hb860

Super WinMatrixian

• Developer
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:35 PM

So, Windows 7 SE..I mean..9 will be released sometime around April 2015.

Nice!
it will be Win7SE if they really want to return the Start Menu.
I doubt that MS will roll back all recent changes.

#13 yanike

yanike

I am YM. If you don't know me, you will.

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:50 PM

it will be Win7SE if they really want to return the Start Menu.
I doubt that MS will roll back all recent changes.

They should since corporations are moving to Windows 7 in April. The corp umbrella I work for all use Windows 7. I still code to IE8 on my machines now for excellent backwards compatibility. Sometimes it's a pain in the ass, but at least I know my sites look right. I'm even going to start doing it for my personal projects. I don't go lower than 8 though.

Also, for people needing CSS3 support coding to IE8, try CSS3PIE. There are others out there, but this is what I sometimes use in tough spots where I don't want to fall back into CSS Image Sprites.

#14 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 06:07 PM

It's not going to be Win7SE. All rumors point to it being a continuation of Win8.x (as it should be).

#15 Eye Pie Rate

Eye Pie Rate

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,180 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 10:53 AM

The technological singularity requires cloud computing. Whether you like it or not (I prefer offline gaming these days for example) everything is pushing for the cloud. It's all controlled at the top, we don't really have much say in it, those that will put up a fight against it will be a minority and will probably be cast aside as conspiracy nuts. 

London 2024 (if we get there) ; 
- 'Smart' city
- Almost all devices are connected to the internet

Who controls the city is really the bigger question at hand, will the banking elite that currently sit at the top of pyramid or will there be a rebellion and we build a new future for ourselves, something like the venus project/zietgiest movement. Who knows, but damn, we live in exciting times people, we are literally at a crossroads. 

#16 BinaryChaos

BinaryChaos

WinMatrixian

• 169 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:00 PM

@ Eye Pie Rate

People can rebel we all have the power of social media and any negative attention to a company is not a good one so if people work their keyboards, touch keyboards and emojis hard enough the consumers will have a final say because CEOs read the blogs, twitter and so on. Consumers can't be ignored when we have the power of the internet.

#17 old5chool

old5chool

WinMatrixian

• 162 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 04:59 PM

[..] for users and developers.

The thing is, Android (tablets and phones) is Java on Linux and 99% of "developers" are people just out of school trying to make a living. I don't understand the popularity, but it's a dead-end in any case; given what Java is.

Besides profit being the main (if not the only, heh) motivator in developing for a certain platform, there's also the need to have new kernels in order to support new hardware (CPU and GPU, yes). So we will, most definitely, *need* a new version ASAP (unfortunately, or fortunately). In that regard, sticking with Windows 7 just isn't an option. Hopefully Windows 9 will be an improvement, impatiently waiting on it. :)

P.S.
I haven't paid for Window$, since Server 2000 and I don't plan on it - until they make something w/o backdoors, built-in spyware and secure and functional. It will take a revolution, for something like this to happen, but who knows.. Oh and in case you wanna just wave me off, run a (detail) rule-based firewall and see for yourself what kind of connections Windblow$ 7 (and earlier) is trying to make, just from the VISIBLE ones; WireShark, or some other (TCP) monitor reveals the entire picture.
& that's without any decompiling. The rabbit hole goes real deep.

#18 christianbclark

christianbclark

WinMatrixian

• 198 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:09 AM

I have 7 ... I will pass over 8 and get 9 LOL

#19 ~{/^OoMoO^\}~

~{/^OoMoO^\}~

Active WinMatrixian

• 549 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:38 AM

I have 7 ... I will pass over 8 and get 9 LOL

You are not alone. Almost everyone in my circle has decided to skip Windows 8 and wait for Windows 9.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: windows 9