Photo
- - - - -

AOL Desktop 9.7 - Now WEBKIT

aol chrome webkit browser client america online america online

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 yanike

yanike

I am YM. If you don't know me, you will.

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:03 PM

AOL Desktop 9.7 - Web Client is now using Google Chrome. So long Trident, Webkit is taking over. AOL users will now see a better web and web developers can now rest more peacefully now.

7sw6.jpg

#2 Vegetto

Vegetto

WinMatrixian

• 241 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:42 AM

(Y) for WeBKit but what is AOL Desktop, a browser? It looks ugly in the screenshot.

#3 yanike

yanike

I am YM. If you don't know me, you will.

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:39 PM

@Vegetto,
AOL Desktop is the traditional all-in-one web client from AOL with IM, Email, Web, and more built-in. Since the beginning of AOL (America Online), they have used Internet Explorer (Trident Engine) to power their web experience. With the change of the web and IE falling behind Chrome, AOL has clearly decided to switch to Chrome (WebKit).

This means a way better standard experience for AOL users and catching them up with the latest technologies. A plus for web developers that hated supporting AOL users being so behind times because of the old IE engine they were using.

Also, their client has been updated with new icons and better features. More work needs to be done, but AOL is definitely on the right track finally.

#4 Vegetto

Vegetto

WinMatrixian

• 241 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:00 AM

@yanike

Thanks for the explanation. I really had no idea about AOL services still alive.

#5 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:58 PM

1995 called... It wants its garbage back.

#6 Ultimate John

Ultimate John

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,808 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:09 PM

Do people really use it?

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: aol, chrome, webkit, browser, client, america, online, america online