• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Ultimate John

Ultimate John

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,792 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:14 AM

3mARSBs.png

The number of PC gamers who use Windows 8 and 8.1 are increasing rapidly. According to the latest Steam Hardware Survey, 10.65% of all the Steam users have Windows 8 64-bit installed on their PCs. 8.54% of the total users have Windows 8.1 64-bit installed. 32-bit versions are less popular amongst PC gamers as Windows 8 and 8.1 have only 0.57% and 0.30% users respectively.

Gamers show their interest in 64-bit operating system because of it's ability to use more than 4-GB of RAM which is mandatory now a days if you are a gamer.

#2 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:14 AM

Windows 8, especially with Windows 8.1, is gaining momentum, people actually are coming around to the frankensien nature of the OS slowly, but come on, let's face it, it's nowhere near the rate of adoption we saw with Windows 7. Windows 8 is a different OS with different goals from the Windows we're all used to. There will always be people out there that simply can't deal with the learning curve Windows 8 presents to them, and that will always bottleneck Windows 8's adoption no matter how good it gets.

I suppose that's why Microsoft is doing a U-turn with Threshold. I know that people like the desktop and stuff, but come on, the desktop is extremely backward, we're going to be stuck with 1366x768 on 14" forever because the desktop can't freaking scale. And neither does the system tray provide useful notifications. The system tray needs to be expunged or something. Sigh.

*crosses fingers for Windows Threshold*

Can I also say that it's bizzare to me that Steam is embracing other old platforms as if they were new (Linux, Mac) but totally has been totally ignoring improvements in Windows as if the platform is old and stagnant? The Steam client doesn't even respect Windows's DPI settings (ugh, desktop apps) and instead does its own thing. And, Steam isn't the only desktop app guilty of this.

Screw it. Everyone wants to make money off the Windows platform but everyone treats the platform like sh*t.

/rant

#3 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,057 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:24 PM

And Gaben is off crying in a corner somewhere....

#4 Shaun of the Seven

Shaun of the Seven

Active WinMatrixian

• 875 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:44 AM

I like that Valve is showing its interest in Linux but I also agree that Windows shouldn't be ignored.

#5 Chrominator

Chrominator

Active WinMatrixian

• 661 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 07:15 PM

Microsoft is driving Windows 8 gamers to it's own App Store (and Xbox One). It's a good decision by Gabe to make Steam available for Linux and Mac too.

#6 Liskiller

Liskiller

Super WinMatrixian

• Elites
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 07:18 PM

It's not like all the Windows 7 users are buying Windows 8 upgrade license. Windows 8 64-bit comes preloaded on new PCs and notebooks.

#7 Vegetto

Vegetto

WinMatrixian

• 206 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 07:23 PM

And Gaben is off crying in a corner somewhere....

This is what Gaben is doing right now.

5D5wmgK.jpg

#8 R@6271M3

R@6271M3

Donnie

• 294 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 07:59 PM

Holiday season... a lot of people buying new PCs. :D

#9 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 02:37 AM

It's not like all the Windows 7 users are buying Windows 8 upgrade license. Windows 8 64-bit comes preloaded on new PCs and notebooks.
that's how most people upgrade, I don't remember anyone installing Windows 7 on their XP hardware. Windows 7 just happens to be a better Vista, so it works on Vista-era hardware. Even then, GPUs from the Vista-era were severely underpowered, especially laptop GPUs, and especially Intel's integrated laptop GPUs, so we have that going users that wanted to upgrade.
Microsoft is driving Windows 8 gamers to it's own App Store (and Xbox One). It's a good decision by Gabe to make Steam available for Linux and Mac too.
it is a good decision (although I don't think it's gabe making these decisions personally on his own). No one is going to the app store to buy games. Valve is worrying about a non-existent threat.

#10 Darren 54

Darren 54

Active WinMatrixian

• 518 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:32 AM

No one is going to the app store to buy games.

I'm sure Microsoft will start selling PC Games on the app store. Worst-case scenario... a new GFWL like DRM.

#11 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:12 AM

I'm sure Microsoft will start selling PC Games on the app store. Worst-case scenario... a new GFWL like DRM.
yeah they will, but it will take a very long time for them to reach parity with all the community features in Steam unless they somehow port all Xbox Live features over to the PC. Even then, there is no way Microsoft would reach parity with Steam's free giveaways, sales, indie games, trading, VOIP, and so much more, anytime soon. Perhaps the Windows Store would become a threat to steam one day, but even if it doesn't, one day Valve would have to face competition from somewhere else (such as Origin), instead of avoiding it.

GFWL turned out horrible, they would be stupid to do something like it again, and no one would buy a GFWL game unless the game is an unavoidable AAA title. Kinda like how people are forced to use Origin for Battlefield.

While at that, I also have to say that Ubisoft's Uplay and EA's Origin are both worse than GFWL's DRM and yet people are letting it pass.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!