• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Burned Phoenix

Burned Phoenix

WinMatrix Addict

• News Poster
  • 3,488 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:53 AM

Mozilla Firefox 26 is now available for Windows, Mac, Linux, and Android. 

Java Blocked

ub3lCqx.png

Firefox now blocks all Java plugins by default by implementing 'Click to Play' functionality for improving security and stability of the browser.

Memory Usage

o4J5irv.png

Firefox's memory consumption has been reduced significantly. Firefox now decodes (decompress) images that are visible, rather than every image on the page. For image-heavy pages, this results in a huge reduction in memory footprint (as seen in the graph below).

Android Version

In the Android version, the startup screen has been redesigned. The new UI gives users quick and easy access to their browsing data, including top sites, history, bookmarks, Reading List, and search.

Other New Features

Firefox 26 allows H.264 encoded video to be played on a Linux system if the appropriate GStreamer plug-ins are installed and adds support for MP3 audio decoding on Windows XP. Read the release notes here.

Get Firefox

#2 Darren 54

Darren 54

Active WinMatrixian

• 548 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:39 AM

The memory consumption graph is just WOW! :o

#3 Vegetto

Vegetto

WinMatrixian

• 241 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:42 AM

Try it on Minus.com galley or Pinterest. (Y)

#4 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:03 PM

This sounds great! Chrome is quite the resource hog these days. Firefox is a little less heavy on resources, but feels slower. I hope this improves efficiency. Lately I've been using IE11 (crazy, I know), but IE11 is insanely fast and amazingly efficient on resources. I also get more consistent battery life with IE. I swear I haven't used IE since my Netscape days. Firefox comes in second. Chrome kills battery and eats up resources like crazy.

#5 R@6271M3

R@6271M3

Donnie

• 347 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:53 PM

Yep, Chrome uses more RAM but is faster. Firefox uses less RAM but is slower.

#6 myheartem

myheartem

New WinMatrixian

• 16 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:10 AM

Firefox is a worthy expression of Mozilla's ideals. The browser is competitively fast, sports a new minimalist look, and includes some excellently executed features. Unfortunately, that describes most of Firefox's competition,

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: firefox