• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Liskiller

Liskiller

Super WinMatrixian

• Elites
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 01:00 AM

Many applications bundle Chrome extensions with they setup files. Avast, Kaspersky and AVG are a few examples which ask you to install a web browser extension while installing them. Chrome shows notifications if there are extensions added by other apps, so the extensions are not installed automatically but there are some Windows applications that found some loopholes and bypassed Chrome's security features, so Chrome's engineers has now decided to block all Chrome extensions from other sources than the Chrome Web Store.

From the Chromium blog:

As part of our continuing security efforts, we're announcing a stronger measure to protect Windows users: starting in January on the Windows stable and beta channels, we'll require all extensions to be hosted in the Chrome Web Store.

There are some exceptions to this rule: developers and power users will still be able to install unpacked extensions and business users will still be able deploy extensions. Everyone else will have to install extensions from the Chrome Web Store.

#2 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 01:43 AM

AdBlock Plus ... I will run it as an unpacked addon then.  it is just a zip file, after all.  unzip the file to a new folder, and point the "load unpacked" to that folder.

#3 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 07:42 AM

AdBlock Plus ... I will run it as an unpacked addon then.  it is just a zip file, after all.  unzip the file to a new folder, and point the "load unpacked" to that folder.

I think that is exactly the feature that they're going to remove - packed or unpacked, if it isn't from the store, you can't install it - unless you're on the Dev channel. This sucks, because some of my favorite extensions are not from the store.

#4 Darren 54

Darren 54

Active WinMatrixian

• 548 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:36 AM

I'll start using Firefox if Chrome won't allow me to install Adblock.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: chrome