mse antivirus

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SurB86

SurB86

Surendra

• 1,438 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 04:01 AM

Antivirus testing lab AV-TEST has released new statistics, revealing that Microsoft’s Security Essentials ( Windows Defender in Windows 8) is once again "the baseline" of antivirus softwares available on the market, when it comes to protection from malwares.

To get AV-TEST’s certification, an antivirus needs to get at least 10 points. But Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) managed to achieve only 9.5 points. MSE got 0.5 points out of 6 for the protection, 5 for the performance when tested on Windows 7, and 4 out of 6 for the usability.

New test results:

QSFiX2I.png

#2 P.McGinley

P.McGinley

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,086 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 05:10 AM

AV-TEST is the only reason why I decided to disable Windows Defender and install Avast Free on my Win8 PC.

#3 Shaun of the Seven

Shaun of the Seven

Active WinMatrixian

• 897 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:13 PM

What does the 'Performance' mean in this test? How fast the antivirus scans files or how much it slows down your computer?

#4 celeron

celeron

WinMatrixian

• 109 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 12:25 AM

What does the 'Performance' mean in this test? How fast the antivirus scans files or how much it slows down your computer?

Good point, I am also confuse.

#5 Borix

Borix

Active WinMatrixian

• 823 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 09:15 AM

I think how much it slows down your computer (how much resources it takes).

Typical MS style, put something out than let it bleed to die.

#6 Mellexx

Mellexx

StanceWorks Addicted

• 329 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:26 PM

I've been using MSE for years now, and I honestly have never had a problem with anything getting past it and causing harm to my system. It's all about common sense, for years a good friend of mine forgets to install an av when he re-installs windows and like myself he's never had issues either. It's more about common sense and being smart about your browsing habits and you can be perfectly safe with a minimal protection or no av at all

#7 Borix

Borix

Active WinMatrixian

• 823 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:47 PM

I've been using MSE for years now, and I honestly have never had a problem with anything getting past it and causing harm to my system. It's all about common sense, for years a good friend of mine forgets to install an av when he re-installs windows and like myself he's never had issues either. It's more about common sense and being smart about your browsing habits and you can be perfectly safe with a minimal protection or no av at all

Very true. But bottom last is pathetic even for MS standards ;)

And for people who are relative new too the PC world: in part the virus problem from W95 to XP led to the "disaster" we now know as Vista and the sinking of project Longhorn. So MS should know better.

#8 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:00 AM

You guys are forgetting that MSE is just one layer among many for Windows. MSE works with the Firewall, UAC, and if you're on Windows 8, the new SmartScreen filter to protect your system. If you're stupid, and turn all that off or down, then yeah, MSE isn't going to do much.

I wanna see if they're using all these layers when testing MSE.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mse, antivirus