• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Shaun of the Seven

Shaun of the Seven

Active WinMatrixian

• 897 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:23 AM

AvzRHg5.jpg

The New York Times reports that Nokia engineers developed Lumia phones for that ran Google's Android operating system. Lumia Android phones could be a reality in 2014. Microsoft executives were aware of the existence of the project. May be that's why Microsoft bought Nokia’s mobile phone and services business for $7.2 billion. :D

For those who don't know about the old Nokia deal, Nokia signed a deal with Microsoft in 2011 to use only Windows Phone on its smartphones, but Nokia had an option to exit that partnership at the end of 2014.

#2 Jatin

Jatin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,867 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 02:57 AM

This is Epic! :D

#3 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 03:24 AM

At least we now know the Mr Elop isn't the 'trojan horse' that everyone says he is. He was very much considering other strategies.

I also believe that it was made known previously that Nokia, under Mr Elop's leadership, approached Google before Microsoft for help, but Google didn't want to give an OEM preferential treatment, I guess that is why Nokia decided to go with Microsoft.

I love Windows Phone, and I love my Lumia, but it's quite sad that market realities ($$$) always ends up in something anti-consumer. I actually think Nokia could have made good Android phones, but at the expense of everyone ignoring Nokia's Maps, unique imaging apps, and other strengths/capabilities. Maybe that was a risk too big that Nokia didn't want to take. At least now Nokia's Navteq business is secure..........with Microsoft and Windows Phone being their biggest customers...

#4 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 02:22 AM

Um, hate to burst your bubble, but Android was considered as a "Plan B" if Windows Phone didn't work out. There isn't going to be an Android Lumia in 2014 (or ever) since Microsoft now owns Nokia's Devices division.

#5 Shaun of the Seven

Shaun of the Seven

Active WinMatrixian

• 897 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 02:52 AM

That's what I posted. Nokia was considering Android as an option. They were working with an Android team before the Microsoft deal.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: android, windows phone