gmail scroogled google

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Shaun of the Seven

Shaun of the Seven

Active WinMatrixian

• 897 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:41 PM

Remember is Scroogled campaign by Microsoft?

a3QJorH.png

The guys behind the scroogled campaign must be happy today. Google has been sued for looking into user's gmail.

"This company reads, on a daily basis, every email that's submitted, and when I say read, I mean looking at every word to determine meaning," said Texas attorney Sean Rommel, who is co-counsel suing Google.

The plaintiffs say Google "unlawfully opens up, reads, and acquires the content of people's private email messages" in violation of California's privacy laws and federal wiretapping statutes. The lawsuit notes that the company even scans messages sent to any of the 425 million active Gmail users from non-Gmail users who never agreed to the company's terms.

And Rommel said "the data that's being amassed by this company" could be used for more than just targeting advertising, although the parts of the lawsuit discussing what more Google might be doing with private information is currently under seal.

"The injury is two-fold: the privacy invasion and the loss of property. Google is taking people's property because they can get it for free as opposed to paying for it," Rommel said.

Scrutinising Google's privacy policy, Judge Koh noted that it doesn't specify that Google is scanning Gmail when it describes the type of information it's collecting.

"Why wouldn't you just say 'the content of your emails?'" she asked.

Your views? :mellow:

#2 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:32 PM

I'd say that Google needs to be regulated. I have and use more Microsoft products than Google, but despite that, Google's impact on my daily life these days is not anywhere near Microsoft's. It's not even close...

#3 Darren 54

Darren 54

Active WinMatrixian

• 548 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:40 PM

If Google will add in its TOS that "we scans the content of your emails " will everyone calm down?

#4 BinaryChaos

BinaryChaos

WinMatrixian

• 169 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:39 AM

<_< Why is this a surprise to people? It's a well known fact that Google records every little thing you do through their service. You remember that silly sidebar they had a couple years ago? They collected your data through that program too! I'm with FalseAgent on this one I too prefer Microsoft over Google any day since it's not the worst evil of the two.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gmail, scroogled, google