• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 WhistAler

WhistAler

WhistA

• 1,866 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 03:02 PM

wz72L6ml.jpg

Upgrading from Windows 8.1 Preview to Windows 8.1 RTM and keeping your settings and apps intact is possible. Just follow this small guide:

1. Download a Windows 8.1 RTM ISO and any ISO explorer, such as trial versions of Power ISO or UltraISO.
  2. Browse the content of your Windows 8.1 ISO with Power ISO or UltraISO and go to the “sources” folder and look for the cversion.ini file.
  3. Open the .ini file with a text editor like Notepad or Wordpad.
  4. Modify both entries from 9458 to 9431. See the SCREENSHOT.
  5. Save the ISO by going to the file menu and clicking "Save".
  6. Burn the ISO to a DVD USB stick and install Windows 8.1 RTM OS. The installer will now correctly determine the OS version you’re upgrading from and you will be allowed to keep settings and apps.

Need further help? Post in the comments.

#2 Elhuyar

Elhuyar

Active WinMatrixian

• 364 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:03 PM

Very useful, thanks.

#3 P.McGinley

P.McGinley

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,086 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:32 AM

Why Microsoft disabled the option to keep the apps and settings at the first place?

#4 Javichino

Javichino

My First Post!

• 1 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:40 PM

Does not work for me on Acer Aspire S3

original.jpg

#5 QuashPhillips

QuashPhillips

WinMatrixian

• 173 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 12:40 AM

hmm, I'll be waiting until I purchase a legit copy to try this out.  First ever M$ purchase.  Thanks for the heads up!

#6 ThunderROM

ThunderROM

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,637 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:58 PM

Can someone please confirm if this trick works?

#7 Mellexx

Mellexx

StanceWorks Addicted

• 329 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 07:25 PM

Sorry for the bump, I'm testing this now since I finally stopped being lazy and decided to update from the pro preview to the rtm pro. I will edit this post once I find out if it worked for me or not.

Edit: My iso was corrupted, so I just downloaded it from the windows store instead and didn't have the chance to test this theory in full. The MS store method kept all my documents and settings intact, and a few of my games installed to c:\games but it didn't preserve any apps installed either from the MS store, or manually through desktop mode exe's.

TLDR: Basically functioned as a clean install, but moved all my documents,pictures,videos, downloads into the upgraded system, I only had to pull a few files out of windows.old and reinstall all my apps desktop and metro mode.

Edited by Mellexx, 15 December 2013 - 02:00 AM.

#8 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 07:03 PM

Why Microsoft disabled the option to keep the apps and settings at the first place?

Because you're upgrading from a beta version. Who in their right minds would allow that to occur? 

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: windows 8.1, tutorial