• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 SurB86

SurB86

Surendra

• 1,438 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:06 PM

MlqZcbk.png

Windows XP is still installed on 37 percent of computers worldwide. When the OS will lose its support in April 2014, it will then stop receiving security updates and will quickly deteriorate into an easy target for even inexperienced attackers. Wolfgang Kandek, CTO of Qualys, said in a blog post that Windows XP is very likely to become an easy target for hackers in less than 9 months!

Now it's your duty to help your friends and relatives to upgrade to Windows 8 or introduce them to Ubuntu. :D

#2 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:21 PM

Now it's your duty to help your friends and relatives to upgrade to Windows 8 or introduce them to Ubuntu. :D

I wouldn't wish Linux on my worst enemy.

#3 Phenom II

Phenom II

Active WinMatrixian

• 827 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:48 PM

"Become" a target?

This might have been news 10 years ago, XP has been a target since launch

#4 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:17 PM

"Become" a target?

This.

#5 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:55 PM

"Become" a target?

Now it'll be an even bigger target. I betchya someone out there is already prodding through seeing what they can find, and store it away for after the cutoff date.

#6 old5chool

old5chool

WinMatrixian

• 162 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 02:01 AM

Turning off many services, configuring the network *properly* and adding some tweaks ( tip of the iceberg @ pctools.com/guides/registry/detail/1237/ ) can make Windows XP *much* safer than 7, or 8. It's fairly simple and quite feasible to uncouple the network from the rest of the Windows XP OS, something that integration in later operating systems makes pretty impossible. With a nice software (rule-based) firewall (Kerio Personall Firewall 2.1.5 still does a decent job), or even a dedicated gateway firewall box - IMO - Windows XP gets to be pretty safe online. It can still run new(er) versions of some essential (business) software, like the Microsoft Office. I'm still dual booting it (actually triple, including Xubuntu) and will probably continue to do so, for a long while. =)

#7 BinaryChaos

BinaryChaos

WinMatrixian

• 169 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 03:02 AM

Turning off many services, configuring the network *properly* and adding some tweaks ( tip of the iceberg @ pctools.com/guides/registry/detail/1237/ ) can make Windows XP *much* safer than 7, or 8. It's fairly simple and quite feasible to uncouple the network from the rest of the Windows XP OS, something that integration in later operating systems makes pretty impossible. With a nice software (rule-based) firewall (Kerio Personall Firewall 2.1.5 still does a decent job), or even a dedicated gateway firewall box - IMO - Windows XP gets to be pretty safe online. It can still run new(er) versions of some essential (business) software, like the Microsoft Office. I'm still dual booting it (actually triple, including Xubuntu) and will probably continue to do so, for a long while. =)

Show off....

#8 PJAmerica

PJAmerica

New WinMatrixian

• 6 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:54 AM

I would love nothing more than to run Windows 7 or even Windows 8 but I am one of many casualties of this situation. I cannot afford to upgrade my computer. Nor is my computer compatible with Windows 7 or 8. People in my situation are just stuck. I wil have to run XP until I cannot anymore.

#9 Tataarujin

Tataarujin

Fight to the end. Be in the shadows.

• 422 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:09 PM

I wouldn't wish Linux on my worst enemy.

Idiot.

#10 pcHuntqwerty

pcHuntqwerty

QWERTY

• 1,999 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:56 PM

^Dude, not cool.

#11 Tataarujin

Tataarujin

Fight to the end. Be in the shadows.

• 422 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:25 PM

^Do I care about that? No.

#12 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:37 AM

Idiot.

???

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: windows xp