internet explorer chrome firefox

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Elhuyar

Elhuyar

Active WinMatrixian

• 364 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 05:49 AM

A study posted by NSS Labs shows that Internet Explorer 10 offers much more advanced tools when it comes to privacy protection as compared to its main rivals including Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Apple Safari.

AwzCXof.jpg

“Internet Explorer has a unique privacy feature called ‘Tracking Protection.’ Not to be confused with Do Not Track, the option is easier to find, and it allows users to select one or more tracking protection lists (TPSs) that have been created by Microsoft or by third-party vendors, such as Albine,” the study reads.

“In theory, users can create their own TPLs; however, these lists are challenging to implement and involve obscure documentation, making the creation almost impossible for users.”

NSS Labs also notes that IE's Do Not Track feature isn’t really effective right now and some websites might still collect data without users’ consent.

#2 lareeth

lareeth

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,169 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:18 AM

The thing is, I don't actually care, So I would rather have 'do not track' off. So for me, its a pain having these privacy settings. All these 'features' they are adding are just to convert people who have no idea about cookies and think that everyone's out to get them.

#3 Chrominator

Chrominator

Active WinMatrixian

• 671 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 02:14 PM

^ This

#4 BinaryChaos

BinaryChaos

WinMatrixian

• 169 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:09 PM

The thing is, I don't actually care, So I would rather have 'do not track' off. So for me, its a pain having these privacy settings. All these 'features' they are adding are just to convert people who have no idea about cookies and think that everyone's out to get them.

I for one LOVE the track protection feature in IE and it's quite effective in blocking advertisements that can be very invasive especially with videos that play in the background having audio turned up high by default to get your attention. I give Microsoft a BIG thumbs up with implementing that feature now that my web surfing is a lot more quiet giving me a peace of mind. I'll admit it's not perfect but it's a great step in the right direction considering the fact you have to turn off the feature on some websites that require it off.

#5 OverKlockD

OverKlockD

WinMatrixian

• 212 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:00 AM

“Internet Explorer has a unique privacy feature called ‘Tracking Protection.’ Not to be confused with Do Not Track, the option is easier to find, and it allows users to select one or more tracking protection lists (TPSs) that have been created by Microsoft or by third-party vendors, such as Albine,” the study reads.

Adblock does a similar thing, but it is nice to see a browser include it out of the box. Even if it is IE. Good job Microsoft.

#6 SurB86

SurB86

Surendra

• 1,438 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:04 PM

As OP posted, Do Not Track isn't really effective right now but IE's Tracking Protection is really good and worth giving a try.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: internet explorer, chrome, firefox