Is WinMatrix Dying?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 CAS91572

CAS91572

Active WinMatrixian

• 640 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:52 PM

I check the forums almost everyday and it seems like there's hardly ever any new posts anymore! WinMatrix use to be very active. What happened in the last few months? The monthly desktop screen shot thread doesn't exist anymore. I also would of thought a forum for Windows 8 modern apps would have been added by now as well. 

#2 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:53 AM

WinMatrix has always been a smaller community.

#3 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:56 AM

Also, prior to "social media", WM had quite a few people on line, but...well, yeah, Facebook, Twitter, etc.

#4 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:17 AM

To answer the question in the title, the answer is yes.

#5 pcHuntqwerty

pcHuntqwerty

QWERTY

• 1,999 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 05:10 AM

Yes, this site needs more active members.

#6 yanike

yanike

I am YM. If you don't know me, you will.

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 03:23 AM

I agree.

#7 fediaFedia

fediaFedia

Super WinMatrixian

• Elites
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 12:31 PM

DeviantArt is "dying" too, incidentally.

I would attribute this change to the shifting tendencies of technology. Seems like customization and tweaking are becoming less and less prominent as we go forward...

#8 Ultimate John

Ultimate John

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,808 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 02:19 PM

Apps and web are the future, desktop operating systems are dying including Windows.

#9 hb860

hb860

Super WinMatrixian

• Developer
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 04:00 PM

I am suprised to see this thread :blink:

#10 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 06:36 PM

DeviantArt is "dying" too, incidentally.

I would attribute this change to the shifting tendencies of technology. Seems like customization and tweaking are becoming less and less prominent as we go forward...

Apps and web are the future, desktop operating systems are dying including Windows.

Both of these are correct. Especially the point about Windows and desktop operating systems. That's why Microsoft decided to re-define Windows with Windows 8. Windows as we know it is dying and will eventually die. There have been no new major apps for Windows (and even Mac OSX), but developers have been embracing mobile OSes and have been creating new apps on those platforms.

#11 Phenom II

Phenom II

Active WinMatrixian

• 827 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 06:31 PM

Forums will die when our generation dies, kids new to the net now don't sign up to forums, they sign up to FB and Twitter

Only tech-heads and geeks join forums any more, and we are the minority

#12 old5chool

old5chool

WinMatrixian

• 162 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:19 PM

There have been no new major apps for Windows (and even Mac OSX), but developers have been embracing mobile OSes and have been creating new apps on those platforms.

Ugh, an example of a "major app" that's come out is a/any new partition manager - as the *old* wons no longer work with the new Windblows (edit: err, think it's the new hardware - the UEFI, actually; could be wrong); and anyway, not exactly sure what you mean!.. Because there have always been and seems like there always will be a new version of the Adobe Suite, Micro$oft and other (open source) Office, then there's the Offline Explorer && ABBYY FineReader & (many, many) others are (still) being constantly updated...

This mobile fad can't last forever, imo (OR can it, lol!); phablets are pretty ridiculous to hold and use, not sure they'll last?!?? Except when they can be docked at home - to a big screen and input devices.. That seems like a reasonable future - however, not shifting ANYTHING over to mobile - but, actually, moving mobile 2 PC. (That'll work! :))

P.S.
As far as the Mac OSX, one example is the (Emagic) Logic Audio - being bought by Apple and made exclusive (used to be 4 PC).

Only tech-heads and geeks join forums any more, and we are the minority

That's perfect!.. Like back-in-the-day, when we knew EXACTLY who was a member - on our BBS - and almost all of the information posted and shared was highly valuable; and perfectly useful. =)

#13 christianbclark

christianbclark

WinMatrixian

• 198 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:09 AM

Yes. This will die off. Such as Yahoo Clubs and then Myspace and next will be social media will die off as well. I have no clue what will be after social media LOL

#14 yanike

yanike

I am YM. If you don't know me, you will.

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:40 PM

It's just quiet, not dying.

#15 crestind

crestind

New WinMatrixian

• 27 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 02:03 AM

I joined in 2008. It's been a little under 10 years since I was last here.

I'm old and tired now...

Anyone out there?

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!