infographic windows 8 windows xp

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Shaun of the Seven

Shaun of the Seven

Active WinMatrixian

• 897 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:46 AM

Microsoft made an infographic showcasing eight good reasons to upgrade to Windows 8 if you are still using Windows XP. This is the most appropriate times as Windows XP is approaching its retirement on April 8th of 2014.

u9fToOc.jpg

Windows XP is currently installed on 37.17 percent of the computers worldwide, while Windows 8 is still far behind with only 5.10 percent according to statistics provided by market researcher Net Applications.

BY7BRBK.jpg

Source: Microsoft

#2 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:11 PM

I'm saddened at the fact that it's 2013, and we're to the point of "literally" shoving people off this ancient (P)OS.

#3 maac

maac

Mr Smiley

• Validating
  • 267 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:14 PM

Fucking apps. Why is Microsoft unable to use real arguments for it's OS. Their marketing is a huge disappointment.

#4 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:44 PM

Fucking apps. Why is Microsoft unable to use real arguments for it's OS. Their marketing is a huge disappointment.

Apps are the future. Face it. Everyone's doing it. But, of course, when Microsoft does it, it's wrong.

#5 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:29 AM

What else do you use an OS for? I'm pretty sure you don't just log onto your machine and stare at the wallpaper, do you?

#6 maac

maac

Mr Smiley

• Validating
  • 267 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:11 AM

As a desktop user I don't see any reason to use anything from the appstore. Don't get me wrong, I like Windows 8, I'm using it since release. I'm just confused why their marketing doesn't point out the performance improvements. Just compare the boot up times or something.

#7 SurB86

SurB86

Surendra

• 1,438 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:15 PM

Agreed with maac. I spend my maximum time on the desktop mode. Win8 is great even without the apps but I haven't seen a single Win8 ad in which they mention about the performance improvements.

#8 MeToo

MeToo

New WinMatrixian

• 36 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:05 AM

I'm just confused why their marketing doesn't point out the performance improvements. Just compare the boot up times or something.

That is because the performance improvements are caused by the hardware upgrade...

If Win8 was a better performer on the hardware companies/users already have (assuming there were drivers) then Windows XP would already be dead ;)

The main problem here is the Wintel monopoly: you need new hardware to get Win8 performance and getting Win8 means throwing out most of your perfectly good peripherals (because hardware companies wont spend a dime writing new drivers for old hardware if they can convince you to buy a new one)

#9 focu25

focu25

New WinMatrixian

• 2 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:44 AM

Hi,shaun.

have you upgraded from win xp to win 8 ?

#10 maac

maac

Mr Smiley

• Validating
  • 267 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:20 AM

That is because the performance improvements are caused by the hardware upgrade...

If Win8 was a better performer on the hardware companies/users already have (assuming there were drivers) then Windows XP would already be dead ;)

The main problem here is the Wintel monopoly: you need new hardware to get Win8 performance and getting Win8 means throwing out most of your perfectly good peripherals (because hardware companies wont spend a dime writing new drivers for old hardware if they can convince you to buy a new one)

Are you telling me that my old WinXP netbook isn't faster and I am imagining things?

#11 focu25

focu25

New WinMatrixian

• 2 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:44 AM

BUT have any of you upgraded via the electronic upgrade ?

#12 Shaun of the Seven

Shaun of the Seven

Active WinMatrixian

• 897 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 01:04 PM

@focu25 I upgraded from Win7 to Win8 via the "Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant". You need any help?

#13 mediar

mediar

Active WinMatrixian

• 468 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:36 PM

This ad is total bullsh*t

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: infographic, windows 8, windows xp