Windows 8 Custom Boot Logo

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#41 TomT64

TomT64

New WinMatrixian

• 5 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:30 PM

The certificate that is used in my process is a self-signed certificate that is not valid unless you install it under root.

Interesting.  Does that mean there is a way to install the certificate and bootres.dll under root?

Further, I can't seem to find documentation on how to put the permissions on the bootres.dll back to where they were prior to my Ownership meddling.  I will gladly accept some links to read on any of these subjects, as I do not want to bog you down by making you personally explain it all. :)

#42 Thijsjan Guelen

Thijsjan Guelen

New WinMatrixian

• 3 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:36 PM

(sorry for poor english, i'm dutch and 14 year old)

i'm working on it on my pc and laptop. my parents gave me a windows 8 OEM reseller version, where you can add your own boot logo. so far i did fail every time i tried. unfortunally my parents don't allow me to send a torrent with the .iso files to you guys, so you can try it. (just because of the licence)

#43 Fernandoqp

Fernandoqp

My First Post!

• 1 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:35 PM

after many tests I have success

#44 Krutonium

Krutonium

New WinMatrixian

• 31 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 01:01 AM

(sorry for poor english, i'm dutch and 14 year old)

i'm working on it on my pc and laptop. my parents gave me a windows 8 OEM reseller version, where you can add your own boot logo. so far i did fail every time i tried. unfortunally my parents don't allow me to send a torrent with the .iso files to you guys, so you can try it. (just because of the licence)

The license is in the key, however the bootlogo customization takes place in the UEFI or bootres.dll. I dont think windows supports meddling with that, I don't think it does in any version...

#45 Thijsjan Guelen

Thijsjan Guelen

New WinMatrixian

• 3 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 11:42 AM

well, if i open the program to create pre-installed iso files, i can optionally add a "$OEM$" folder with (my) OEM-Reseller data. so that means that i can add my own logo.

#46 TomT64

TomT64

New WinMatrixian

• 5 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:15 PM

well, if i open the program to create pre-installed iso files, i can optionally add a "$OEM$" folder with (my) OEM-Reseller data. so that means that i can add my own logo.

I am pretty sure that only applies to the "View basic information about your computer" screen.  Which occurs after you boot.

Bootres.dll contains bitmaps that display on your screen when windows is loading.

The UEFI has a boot logo that you see before anything else, branded by the computer manufacturer.

#47 Thijsjan Guelen

Thijsjan Guelen

New WinMatrixian

• 3 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:47 PM

yes, but the software i've got from Microsoft, is for computer manifacturers! so that means i can fill in my manifacturer data, including the logo (i only need the winlogo6 file, it comverts automatically the other ones), and it creates a pre-install version.

#48 Krutonium

Krutonium

New WinMatrixian

• 31 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:23 PM

yes, but the software i've got from Microsoft, is for computer manifacturers! so that means i can fill in my manifacturer data, including the logo (i only need the winlogo6 file, it comverts automatically the other ones), and it creates a pre-install version.

Very interesting... I'm pretty sure the public shouldn't have a copy of the particular disk, any chance you could send me a copy so I can examine how it achieves this?

#49 TomT64

TomT64

New WinMatrixian

• 5 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:50 PM

UPDATE: I just tried the steps on an HP 2000 Series, and apparently there is an extra step involved that doesn't even work.  More below.

So I can't set TESTSIGNING to ON, unless I go in the BIOS and disable "Secure Boot"

Once I do that, I can set Testsigning and I can remove the watermark, but even after I place the bootres.dll in the proper location, the PC still boots up with the HP logo!  It's like nothing happened.  On the ASUS I previously tried this on, it at least had a blank spot where the logo should be if I didn't have Testsigning on.

Any suggestions?

#50 Pavel Horniak

Pavel Horniak

New WinMatrixian

• 7 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:47 PM

Krutonium, it works, thax.

#51 NaviManthiran

NaviManthiran

My First Post!

• 1 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 08:01 AM

Hello, Resource Hacker spoils or corrupts the .dll files. I got this answered from a Microsoft Support Engineer.

#52 pcHuntqwerty

pcHuntqwerty

QWERTY

• 1,999 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 12:47 PM

Resource Hacker is an editor. Of course it will corrupt files if you don't know what you are doing. It's for experts or those who can read tutorials.

#53 Shien Mcdonald

Shien Mcdonald

My First Post!

• 1 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 01:58 PM

Hey Friends I found the way for custom boot logo
8oot boot changer does the magic but cant sign the file
other resource hackers add a small file that seperate custom dll files from original ones(see the diffrence by Right-clicking bootres.dll(original and custom both to see the difference)>7-zip>open archieve>*
to change the boot logo

1. Install 8oot boot logo changer(or whatever is it)
2. open it and load the picture
3. generate the bitmaps and click apply 
4. now copy the bootres.dll to a new folder in desktop
5. download signer.exe and copy to that new folder in desktop
6. open command prompt in the folder and type Signer.exe /sign sign bootres.dll
7. now overwrite this signed bootres.dll to the bootres.dll in the C:\ drive
8. Now see the magic by restarting the system

Sorry If there Are mistakes. This is my first post, And i m just a kid of 12 years. I would like if some one test it, correct the mistakes and fair it out.
And if possible i think from my post you can make a good application for changing boot screen.
ThankYou

#54 Anil Yadav

Anil Yadav

My First Post!

• 1 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:33 PM

After extracting RCDATA_1.wim I am getting windows logo animation screen, whereas in boot screen I am getting hp logo. :(

#55 MuhammadF

MuhammadF

My First Post!

• 1 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:34 PM

I need a Toshiba bootres.dll

#56 J M

J M

My First Post!

• 1 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 02:26 AM

Is there any way to modify the background color of the boot logo. I want to make the boot logo use a light blue background color with my custom logo in the middle, but for that I NEED to get rid of the ugly black background color.

#57 SeVen Kim

SeVen Kim

My First Post!

• 1 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 10:49 AM

Can you edit file bootres.dll with this picture, ok?https://www.dropbox....ygg52lfw/f2.bmp

please send file to faorfl@gmail.com when completed !

thanks you !!!

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!