Windows 8 Custom Boot Logo

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#21 Krutonium

Krutonium

New WinMatrixian

• 31 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:30 PM

And btw that 100MB partition is the bootloader and if OEM specifies, the Recovery Environment.

#22 Krutonium

Krutonium

New WinMatrixian

• 31 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:36 PM

I DID IT!!! I GOT THE CUSTOM BOOT LOGO WORKING!!! IM UPLOADING A VIDEO TO YOUTUBE ATM!

#23 Krutonium

Krutonium

New WinMatrixian

• 31 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:42 PM

^Youtube video of it working!

#24 Krutonium

Krutonium

New WinMatrixian

• 31 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:08 AM

THIS IS HOW TO CREATE A CUSTOM BOOT LOGO!

Step 1:

Take ownership of your Bootres.dll using the following commands from an Administrator Command Prompt:

takeown /f C:\Windows\Boot\Resources\bootres.dll icacls

C:\Windows\Boot\Resources\bootres.dll /grant yourusername:f  

Note that you need to replace "yourusername" with your username...

Step 2:   Make a folder on your C: drive and call it bootlogo, and copy bootres.dll into it.  

Step 3:   Make a folder called Logos (To edit your images in)  

Step 4:   Your going to need to download some stuff into your bootlogo folder:  

http://www.coderforl.../extras/#signer

http://dl.7-zip.org/...                <--- Install This

http://www.bome.com/...tor/downloads   <-- I used the full version, however I don't know if the free version will work.  

^^^RESHACKER WILL NOT WORK. LEAVES DLL CORRUPT^^^  

Step 5:   Use restorator to open bootres.dll and open RCData. Withing you will see a file called "1"... Right click it and extract -> Extract as -> extract as... and save it as RCDATA_1.wim  

Step 6:   Open the wim using 7zip and extract the images. They need to be the same resolution (not confirmed) as the originals and 24bit bitmaps. When your done, use 7zip again to put the images back into the wim.  

Step 7:   In Restorator, right click "1" and select assign -> assign to... and select your RCData_1.wim. When its done, save the dll and close restorator.  

Step 8:   Open an elevated command prompt (admin) and type the following command (in the bootlogo folder)   Signer /sign sign bootres.dll   It will ask you if you want to install a root certificate, choose yes!   Step 9:   Place your modified bootres.dll in your C:\Windows\Boot\resources folder and reboot!   If your logo is only a spinner with the image missing, try one of two things:  

Bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING ON

OR

Do it again, and double check everything.

If you need any help, post your issue in this thread and Ill do my best. For a $5.00 fee I can do it all for you. Contact me if you want to take me up on this offer.

#25 Krutonium

Krutonium

New WinMatrixian

• 31 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:55 AM

Here is the bootres.dll I used for the video, it uses the images that Pavel provided.

To use it on your system, use my guide and start at the part where your signing it.

https://dl.dropboxus...bootres_rog.dll

#26 pcHuntqwerty

pcHuntqwerty

QWERTY

• 1,999 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:18 AM

Congrats man. :D

#27 Pavel Horniak

Pavel Horniak

New WinMatrixian

• 7 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:09 AM

This is awesome!

#28 Krutonium

Krutonium

New WinMatrixian

• 31 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:06 AM

Hi. before 2 days i have installed win 8.1

have you bootres.dll version with page as text? or normal image?-

i have only image without web page url. i can send to you.

When you have something send me info pleas. I try to ask MICROSOFT how to edit, but i dont think they send me back a tutorial. :D

Sorry, what?

Im not sure what your asking, but the same DLL and method will work for 8.1.

#29 Krutonium

Krutonium

New WinMatrixian

• 31 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:10 AM

https://dl.dropboxus...res Creeper.dll

^ has a creeper face, from minecraft on the 3N image.

https://dl.dropboxus... Identifier.dll

^ Lets you know which image your computer uses so you dont have to edit them all...

#30 ~{/^OoMoO^\}~

~{/^OoMoO^\}~

Active WinMatrixian

• 549 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:17 AM

Screenshot please. :D

#31 Ultimate John

Ultimate John

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,808 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:34 PM

Great job man.

#32 Krutonium

Krutonium

New WinMatrixian

• 31 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 07:10 PM

Ok, so I am currently writing an application that can change the bootlogo, but I need some help. Can anyone suggest a Command Line Resource Editor that supports dll's and is 32bit (and free)?

#33 Lumenix

Lumenix

My First Post!

• 1 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:59 AM

Krut, Im having trouble with the method you posted. I've swapped out the images in CS6 and saved as 24b bmp in the wim file. Injected the wim back into the dll. But when using signer I get an error saying it is not a valid win32 application. I can resign the dlls that were uploaded here no problem though. Id like to note some observations however:

-The images im using are exact same filesize as Win8 originals but when saving them to the WIM file (which is <20Kb originally) they do not compress and the WIM ends up being 500Kb-ish. This makes the resulting bootres.dll file way larger than the original.

-I cannot sign the bootres.dll I create at all but can sign the ones I've downloaded. However, when putting the custom signed dlls in the Boot/Resource directory I am not getting any images on boot (only spinning circle).

-I have used GImageX and 7-zip to mount the WIM, 7zip leaves me with a 500Kb wim and GimageX gives me a 320Kb one. Neither of these create a signable dll.

This all being said, I can only load the Microsoft signed dll on boot. Was anyone else having similar issues and can shed some light on this?

Edit: I should mention this is Windows 8 Pro (x64)

#34 Krutonium

Krutonium

New WinMatrixian

• 31 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:35 AM

Krut, Im having trouble with the method you posted. I've swapped out the images in CS6 and saved as 24b bmp in the wim file. Injected the wim back into the dll. But when using signer I get an error saying it is not a valid win32 application. I can resign the dlls that were uploaded here no problem though. Id like to note some observations however:

-The images im using are exact same filesize as Win8 originals but when saving them to the WIM file (which is <20Kb originally) they do not compress and the WIM ends up being 500Kb-ish. This makes the resulting bootres.dll file way larger than the original.

-I cannot sign the bootres.dll I create at all but can sign the ones I've downloaded. However, when putting the custom signed dlls in the Boot/Resource directory I am not getting any images on boot (only spinning circle).

-I have used GImageX and 7-zip to mount the WIM, 7zip leaves me with a 500Kb wim and GimageX gives me a 320Kb one. Neither of these create a signable dll.

This all being said, I can only load the Microsoft signed dll on boot. Was anyone else having similar issues and can shed some light on this?

Edit: I should mention this is Windows 8 Pro (x64)

Did you do

?

If you didn't then do it, also keep in mind that for some reason the DLL is very finicky, and about 80% of the time, the injection will leave the DLL corrupt... When that happens, I have found that usually you need to swap out one of the images, and try again.

#35 TomT64

TomT64

New WinMatrixian

• 5 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:21 PM

The solution given above ( http://www.winmatrix...e-2#entry321171 ) works to get the boot screen to show a logo.

However, it DOES require the use of:

The problem with that is this ALSO creates a text overlay in the lower right of the screen when using Desktop mode which says:

Test Mode
Windows 8
Build 9200

That is not acceptable for my purposes of changing the boot logo.

My purpose for changing the boot logo is so that a custom company logo can be placed on computers that will be used by people via the company, but will always remain the company's property.  It's sort of a reminder.

Obviously the problem has to do with signing.  If it helps, I used the 64 bit version of signer and did signing on both the computer in question and a development computer.  In neither case would the logos appear at bootup without the test signing ON.

#36 Krutonium

Krutonium

New WinMatrixian

• 31 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:24 PM

You can get rid of the Bootlogo Testmode notification using http://www.datafileh...d-f3e2916d.html which was originally from my7apps.fr (Btw, I did not upload that file, and cannot say that it has not been modified, however its what I use). Simply check "Remove all watermarks".

edit: btw my7apps.fr seems to have been hijacked/not paid for.

#37 Krutonium

Krutonium

New WinMatrixian

• 31 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:29 PM

Obviously the problem has to do with signing.  If it helps, I used the 64 bit version of signer and did signing on both the computer in question and a development computer.  In neither case would the logos appear at bootup without the test signing ON.

Thats not actually true, because alot of the time, the file after injection is completely corrupt, verified by opening the DLL in the resource editor again (It wont open) and also wont open with 7-zip which could at least open it...

Side note, I am developing an application at the moment to basically make it point and click... I have the image resizing etc. done, but I don't have a way of injecting it back in, I need a command line injector for this.

#38 Krutonium

Krutonium

New WinMatrixian

• 31 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:29 PM

Screenshot please. :D

Screenshot doesn't work during boot... Maybe ill try a VM later.

#39 TomT64

TomT64

New WinMatrixian

• 5 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:40 PM

Thats not actually true, because alot of the time, the file after injection is completely corrupt, verified by opening the DLL in the resource editor again (It wont open) and also wont open with 7-zip which could at least open it...

7-zip and Restorator both have no problem with the file before or after signing following the steps you listed above.  The file does not appear to be corrupt, and like I said it DOES work when TESTSIGNING is ON.  However, with TESTSIGNING off, it does not work.  That is why I believe the problem to be in the signing process (the problem being: requiring TESTSIGNING to be on for the boot logo to appear).  I think the signing process is not "official" in some way.

#40 Krutonium

Krutonium

New WinMatrixian

• 31 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:41 AM

7-zip and Restorator both have no problem with the file before or after signing following the steps you listed above.  The file does not appear to be corrupt, and like I said it DOES work when TESTSIGNING is ON.  However, with TESTSIGNING off, it does not work.  That is why I believe the problem to be in the signing process (the problem being: requiring TESTSIGNING to be on for the boot logo to appear).  I think the signing process is not "official" in some way.

I see what your getting at, the reason that test signing needs to be on is because we don't have a Certificate that is validly created by a Certificate authority. Basically, to get rid of that text, you have to get the file signed using a valid certificate, not one that we just made up, AND it needs to be imported into the root certificate store under windows.

The certificate that is used in my process is a self-signed certificate that is not valid unless you install it under root.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!