Windows 8 Custom Boot Logo

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 Krutonium

Krutonium

New WinMatrixian

• 31 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:02 AM

Ok, so I want to make Custom Windows 8 Boot Logo’s, and I cannot find any information online about replacing the built in one. This is intended to represent my research into this. Ok, so here is what I know: The file that stores the image is at C:\Windows\Boot\Resources\bootres.dll If you use Resource Hacker, you will find under RCData – 1 – 1033 a bunch of binary. Right click on RCData, and save all. Of the files produced, you will find one that’s called RCData_1.bin. This is actually a WIM file, so rename it to RCData_1.wim and mount it (I used a tool called gimagex). Inside (After you grant yourself access) you will find the boot logo. The Boot logo is actually 6 images. Winlogo1.bmp 93x108 24 bit Winlogo2.bmp 118x135 24 bit Winlogo3.bmp 149x172 24 bit Winlogo3n.bmp 115x172 24bit Winlogo4.bmp 275x321 24 bit Winlogo5.bmp 370x426 24 bit They are all set as read only, so to edit them, Select them all and un-check Read Only. Up to this point, I am pretty sure I have everything proper, but here is how I proceed (It does not work). I opened each image with Photoshop and placed the number of the image on it (I wanted to know what image my computer was actually using, so I wouldn’t have to edit them all with special pictures). I then make all the images Read only again, and write the changes to the WIM. I rename the WIM back to bin. Then I use Resource Hacker to put the images back into the bootres.dll and place it back in the correct location (C:\Windows\Boot\Resources\bootres.dll). When I reboot, I expect to see the image with the number, but All I see is a black screen with the spinner. So, does anyone else have any suggestions? I have tried signing bootres.dll, but all I get from that for me is "Error: Failed to sign ‘bootres.dll’: %1 is not a valid Win32 application (2147942593)" using Signer from coderforlife.com. If someone can work out a good way to do this that works, I’ll write a program to automate the process, including resizing pictures etc. Just a side note, the bootres.dll from the new Windows 8.1 Preview works with current Windows 8, so we have more than one OS that will be customizable with this. (And you can get the 8.1 boot logo in 8!) Oh, and The Windows 8.1 Preview makes Windows 8 look like a half-baked crap cake. For those of you that I know will go "Why would you want to, you only see it for 2 seconds anyway?" Go away, this is customization for customizations sake. (Unless you are going to help, in that case your welcome to help.) Warning: If you try this, you may not be able to boot again unless you put your computer into Test Mode. (My Video driver makes this necessary for me anyway, so meh.)

#2 hamed danger

hamed danger

www.skinpacks.com

• 428 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:52 AM

i think you need to use png image and convert them to 24bit bmp with alpha channel or use imagex

#3 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:57 AM

TBH I think the logo customization has something to do with UEFI, I have noticed many Windows 8 laptops that boot with UEFI show the OEM logo rather than the Windows Flag.

#4 hamed danger

hamed danger

www.skinpacks.com

• 428 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:24 AM

TBH I think the logo customization has something to do with UEFI, I have noticed many Windows 8 laptops that boot with UEFI show the OEM logo rather than the Windows Flag.

yes i see that too in lenovo

#5 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:31 AM

yes i see that too in lenovo
I've seen it on Asus, Lenovo, Dell, and even Toshiba. UEFI is really taking off, bye-bye BIOS!

booting with UEFI is quite amazing, the PC hardware actually takes longer to initialize than Windows 8 takes to boot, Windows 8 only takes 2 seconds during the startup after the UEFI firmware is done initializing the hardware.

for those that have not seen Windows 8 booting on UEFI, take a look at this, it's actually really impressive:

the laptop in this video boots so fast that Windows 8 actually skips the loading animation on the boot screen:

@OP sorry for being off-topic :P

#6 Krutonium

Krutonium

New WinMatrixian

• 31 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:28 PM

You guys are all right, but your forgetting that those of us stuck with a BIOS and not UEFI get our image loaded from bootres.dll...

#7 Pavel Horniak

Pavel Horniak

New WinMatrixian

• 7 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:48 AM

Hi. Sorry for my bad english.
I take ownetship to C:\Windows\Boot\Resources\ and C:\Windows\Boot\Resouorces\bootres.dll.
Than have trayed to open C:\Windows\Boot\Resources\bootres.dll with rescue editor.
I saved RCData – 1 – 1033 as RCData_1.bin.
I have renamed RCData_1.bin. to RCData_1.wim.
With imagexx64 i have mounted RCData_1.wim to C:/RCDATA/
I have edited all images.
Than i have unmounted C:/RCDATA/ (RCData_1.wim)

I do not change pisctures qualuty and resultion, all was as original.
But original RCData_1.wim had 8kb, and new edited had 153kb.
I have trayed it again, but when i dont edit images and unmount without any changes, new file hae 153kb too.

I think it is no problem. but than i renamed modifed RCData_1.wim to RCData_1.bin.
and wit rescue editor i use this file to RCData – 1 – 1033.

I saved this file to C:\Windows\Boot\Resources\bootres.dll
When i rebooted PC, i can see only this circle, but no windows logo.

I have Windows 8 Pro N x64 with BIOS :wacko: .

Krutonium, can i send to you my original bootres.dll and edited pictures please?

Than can you upload edited bootres.dll.

I think this file can download lot of people, i have edited win logo to logo Republic of Gamers.

I know, i can Attach Files, but i want upload it to my website, so, here is links:

this links are directly to files, not to download site.

17,7 KB, original bootres.dll - http://something.tym.sk/bootres.dll

215 KB, ROG boot Pictures - http://something.tym...ot_pictures.zip

#8 Krutonium

Krutonium

New WinMatrixian

• 31 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:55 PM

Well the thing is

Hi. Sorry for my bad english.
I take ownetship to C:\Windows\Boot\Resources\ and C:\Windows\Boot\Resouorces\bootres.dll.
Than have trayed to open C:\Windows\Boot\Resources\bootres.dll with rescue editor.
I saved RCData – 1 – 1033 as RCData_1.bin.
I have renamed RCData_1.bin. to RCData_1.wim.
With imagexx64 i have mounted RCData_1.wim to C:/RCDATA/
I have edited all images.
Than i have unmounted C:/RCDATA/ (RCData_1.wim)

I do not change pisctures qualuty and resultion, all was as original.
But original RCData_1.wim had 8kb, and new edited had 153kb.
I have trayed it again, but when i dont edit images and unmount without any changes, new file hae 153kb too.

I think it is no problem. but than i renamed modifed RCData_1.wim to RCData_1.bin.
and wit rescue editor i use this file to RCData – 1 – 1033.

I saved this file to C:\Windows\Boot\Resources\bootres.dll
When i rebooted PC, i can see only this circle, but no windows logo.

I have Windows 8 Pro N.

Krutonium, can i send to you my original bootres.dll and edited pictures please?

Than can you upload edited bootres.dll.

I think this file can download lot of people, i have edited win logo to logo Republic of Gamers.

I know, i can Attach Files, but i want upload it to my website, so, here is links:

this links are directly to files, not to download site.

17,7 KB, original bootres.dll - http://something.tym.sk/bootres.dll

215 KB, ROG boot Pictures - http://something.tym...ot_pictures.zip

Thing is, I have the same issue. We need someone with experience modifiying bootres to help us...

#9 Pavel Horniak

Pavel Horniak

New WinMatrixian

• 7 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:27 PM

but All I see is a black screen with the spinner.

Thing is, I have the same issue. We need someone with experience modifiying bootres to help us...

Now i know, you have same probelm. (I´am sorry, my english is bad. :unsure: )

But i see the problem in WIM format.

ORIGINAL WIM file have 8 KB,

mounted files have 215 KB,

and unmounted WIM file have 153 KB

When i edit the pictures, size was same as original picture. but output wim file have 153 KB.

I think we want output wim file with same file size as original wim file.

but i dont know how to. 

#10 Krutonium

Krutonium

New WinMatrixian

• 31 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:19 PM

Its ok, your english is fine, however, I think I just found the difference, Im going to test, ill be back in a minute!

Attached Files

#11 Krutonium

Krutonium

New WinMatrixian

• 31 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:17 PM

Nope.

If someone else can try, please, try. You can also modify the wim using 7-zip 9.26 beta

#12 Pavel Horniak

Pavel Horniak

New WinMatrixian

• 7 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:09 AM

I can try it, i using 7-zip too. but 7-zip can not edit archive, it rebuild archive. And it can be a problem, but i dont know.

#13 Pavel Horniak

Pavel Horniak

New WinMatrixian

• 7 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:19 AM

I trayed to modify .bin file using 7-zip.

"operation is not supported."

Same problem with .wim file. 

I am going to use "7-zip 9.26 beta".

I have found:

9.29 alpha     2012-09-07
-------------------------
- LZMA2 now is default compression method for .7z format.
- 7-Zip now can update WIM archives.
- 7-Zip File Manager now can move files to archives.
- The default encoding for TAR format now is UTF-8. You can use -mcp=1 switch for OEM encoding.
- Command line version:
    - new "rn" command to rename files in archive.
    - new -sdel switch to delete files after including to archive.
    - new -sns switch to store NTFS alternate streams (for WIM format only). 
    - new -sni switch to store NT security information for files (for WIM format only).
    - new -stl switch to set archive timestamp from the most recently modified file.
- Speed optimizations for opening big archives and big disk folders.
- DMG support was improved
- Some bugs were fixed.
- New localization: Aragonese.

I am downloaded "7-Zip 9.30 alpha"

#14 Pavel Horniak

Pavel Horniak

New WinMatrixian

• 7 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:31 AM

WOW. It´s inpassible!

7-ZIP CAN EDIT WIM FILES.

A few months ago, it was as likely as that my grandmother will be able to turn on the PC.

But i have only BLACK SCREEN.

BOOTRES.DLL is an boot file, or only file with BOOT IMAGES?

I want to try delete this file an rename bitmap to .DLL

#15 Krutonium

Krutonium

New WinMatrixian

• 31 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 04:44 PM

You can feel free to try Pavel...

Just an update based on my findings, It would appear that the resolution does not need to be exactly the same all the time. I discovered whilst going through the Bootlogo files for Windows 8.1's bootres.dll that the images are different sizes. For example (as stated) the file "winlogo3n.bmp" is 98x115 in Windows 8, but in 8.1 it is sized at 115x172.
Just to test if it was a OS based difference, I copied and installed the 8.1 bootres on my Windows 8, to see if the images would show, and they did. Just a side note, I Uploaded the 8.1 Bootres.dll to my dropbox so you guys can download it and see if you can find any additional differences.

Also, it would seem that once the modified RCData_1.wim is placed in the DLL, the DLL itself becomes corrupt, so I am going to see if their is another way to place the images into the file. I checked this by doing a Before and After with 7zip. Before, 7zip can open the DLL and extract (not modify) the images, and after, it cannot open the file and read the images. Therefore, I suspect that Resource Hacker is not able to properly inject the modified file back into the DLL.

As a Side note, it would appear that when modifing the files using imagex (replacing them) it creates a sub folder called [files]. The files are titled "00", "01" etc. They appear to be a backup, so you can delete them and cut your used space in half.

https://dl.dropboxus...966/bootres.dll

#16 Krutonium

Krutonium

New WinMatrixian

• 31 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:40 PM

So I stumbled across this page about modifying the Windows 7 Boot Logo, and it seems to be mostly the same. Anyone want to experiment? (I got stuck at fixing the PE headers.)

http://www.sevenforu...indows-7-a.html

#17 Dr. Doom

Dr. Doom

Active WinMatrixian

• 529 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:56 PM

http://www.wesnext.c...oot-experience/

#18 Krutonium

Krutonium

New WinMatrixian

• 31 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:00 PM

Not what I'm looking for Dr. Doom, I'm looking for Custom Boot Logos as seen with UEFI, except with BIOS. And User Changeable...

#19 Dr. Doom

Dr. Doom

Active WinMatrixian

• 529 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:06 PM

During installation, Windows creates a 100MB small partition and puts crap on it. I didn't really took the time to check it out, but maybe there is 1 stupid dll file with the boot image in it or a generic way for OEM, you can use a GNU/Linux LiveCD to access the hidden partition and copy the files to a USB or something, then you can boot back to Windows and use some resource editor or whatever to open the files and check them out.

#20 Krutonium

Krutonium

New WinMatrixian

• 31 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:30 PM

I have already confirmed where the images are Dr. Doom... I have successfully changed my Windows 8 logo to the Windows 8.1 logo by copying the bootres.dll from 8.1 to 8 and rebooting.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!