• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AsianGamer33

AsianGamer33

My First Post!

• 1 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:40 PM

Hey everyone~

This summer I was planning on buying a new laptop, and was not sure which kind I should get. I do plan on using it for gaming, but only games like Minecraft, League of Legends, etc. I've been researching for awhile and came across this laptop. Here are the details:

• Intel Pentium B960 2.2 GHz (2 MB Cache)
  • 4 GB SDRAM
  • 500 GB 5400 rpm Hard Drive
  • 17.3-Inch Screen, Intel HD Graphics
  • Windows 8, 4-hour battery life
  • This is by the way, is an Acer laptop

I have only a little bit of knowledge in this kind of stuff. The cost of this laptop is about $430. I can go over this price, if you're wondering. So can you please tell me if this good enough? 

#2 uch_haiden

uch_haiden

WinMatrixian

• 224 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:55 AM

I would rather go with a laptop based on AMD than that configuration with a bit higher or smaller price difference. For example look at this . It is cheaper and blows the specs you mentioned there in terms of "gaming".

edit: According to Tom's Hardware Pentium B960's GPU is less powerful compared to Intel HD 2000 which is way underpowered compared to AMD 7xxx which is built-in with the link I provided.

#3 BinaryChaos

BinaryChaos

WinMatrixian

• 169 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:06 PM

I would rather go with a laptop based on AMD than that configuration with a bit higher or smaller price difference. For example look at this . It is cheaper and blows the specs you mentioned there in terms of "gaming".

edit: According to Tom's Hardware Pentium B960's GPU is less powerful compared to Intel HD 2000 which is way underpowered compared to AMD 7xxx which is built-in with the link I provided.

Agreed, and I wouldn't go for a 17.3" screen laptop you would be better off getting a widescreen monitor that's 20'' for it to hook up to and monitors these days are fairly cheap if you look out for the sales but the prices can range from $89.99 to $130. From my own experience any laptop bigger than 15.6" can get really annoying to carry around all the time on top of that bigger screen laptops usually carry less features compared to smaller screens. It may look cool and impressive that you can afford a big screen but they are heavy and inclined to damage.

#4 hab

hab

Active WinMatrixian

• 996 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:27 PM

First thing is first, because you want to game, there are some major things that the laptop you mentioned won't work.

- Processor wise, you'll want an Intel i5 or i7 and if you're tight on budget, an i3 may be ok.

- GRAPHICS WISE: This is the biggest factor that will affect gaming. You DO NOT want an integrated graphics card ie you do not want Intel HD Graphics. You'll want an NVIDIA or AMD Graphics card. Here is a list of a comparison of laptop graphics card: http://www.notebookc...List.844.0.html

- I agree with the others that 15.6" is the max you want unless you're basically not going to be carrying it around at all. Also, if you don't plan on really using it off the charger, don't worry about battery life too much.

- Another thing to consider is screen resolution. Higher the better, and it makes everything, especially web browsing, a lot better and easier.

Let us know your price range because if you do want to game, and do want a laptop that won't break down after 2 years, you need to pay for that quality, maybe around the $700 or $800 minimum. Acer is known to be cheaper quality but also cheaper prices. Asus has a very good reputation as well as Lenovo in terms of quality/longevity. Other companies may not be so bad, it just depends on the laptop. Generally, a $400 laptop will be pretty bad in terms of specs and quality, but a $1000 laptop from the same company can be a very premium laptop.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!