• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Gragier_521

Gragier_521

WinMatrixer

• 1,785 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:54 AM

qTJcnTp.png

Windows 7 is six times more likely to get infected than Windows 8 and Windows XP is 21 times more likely to be exploited, product manager Chris Hallum told Techradar. But that was still all defensive reactions; for Windows 8.1, he said, Microsoft is going on the offensive with better malware protection, new ways of checking the security certificates web sites rely on - and with a plan to add encryption and biometric security to every PC.

The built-in anti-malware tool Defender will protect against more threats in the browser, including from plugins and ActiveX controls. Now with the Windows 8.1 update, the OS will scan those payloads before they're executed.

Source: Techradar

#2 Eye Pie Rate

Eye Pie Rate

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,180 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 01:13 PM

Those figures are misleading, that's probably because there are 6x more people that use Windows 7 over 8.1, so yes, it is 6x more likely to get infected. 

#3 Shaun of the Seven

Shaun of the Seven

Active WinMatrixian

• 897 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 04:58 PM

I think it's because of UEFI Secure Boot and Early Load Anti Malware...

#4 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:49 PM

And Windows RT is the most secure version of windows ever  :lol:

#5 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:38 PM

Just 21 times? That number seems awfully low...

#6 Eye Pie Rate

Eye Pie Rate

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,180 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:16 AM

^ ....... how?

#7 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:35 PM

^ ....... how?

Windows XP was infected just by looking at it. :lol:

#8 Eye Pie Rate

Eye Pie Rate

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,180 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:50 PM

I stopped using XP in 2006, back when it was 5 years old. It is now over double that age, so yes, it probably isn't the safest system to use anymore. 

#9 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:04 PM

And Windows RT is the most secure version of windows ever  :lol:

Only because no one wants to used a limited, stripped down, no desktop version of Windows...  Security through Obscurity :D

#10 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:06 PM

I think it's because of UEFI Secure Boot and Early Load Anti Malware...

I had to disable UEFI to install Linux... it IS good at keeping the boot sector safe, and as such, good for Windows and general computing, bad if you want Linux / Hackintosh if you can not disable it in the "BIOS" (as how UEFI  is really a new form of the traditional BIOS, as I understand it)

#11 CAS91572

CAS91572

Active WinMatrixian

• 640 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:49 PM

I had to disable UEFI to install Linux... it IS good at keeping the boot sector safe, and as such, good for Windows and general computing, bad if you want Linux / Hackintosh if you can not disable it in the "BIOS" (as how UEFI  is really a new form of the traditional BIOS, as I understand it)

Don't all new Windows 8 Computers have this new BIOS since they were built for windows 8?

#12 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:03 AM

Only because no one wants to used a limited, stripped down, no desktop version of Windows...  Security through Obscurity :D

I use WIndows RT for those facts alone. It's nice to have a tablet that gets more than 3 hours battery life.

#13 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:46 AM

Only because no one wants to used a limited, stripped down, no desktop version of Windows... Security through Obscurity :D

true, but i'm sure it will get better over time and maybe one day it won't be "that stripped down version" of Windows anymore, and maybe it's security model was correct from the start - to obscure it from running all the horrible things on the desktop (yes I know the desktop is useful, but most people have a lot of horrible things sitting in their systray)

#14 OverKlockD

OverKlockD

WinMatrixian

• 212 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:03 AM

It's been proven! 6x more noobs use windows 7 than windows 8 /thread

#15 younggeek1

younggeek1

New WinMatrixian

• 3 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:53 PM

Well, more people use 7 then 8.1 and 8. Also, there is a built in anti-malware, which makes it even safer. 

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: windows 7, malware, windows 8, virus