Photo
- - - - -

Xbox One vs. PS4 vs. Wii U

xbox one ps4 wii u

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Poll: XBone vs. PS4 vs. Wii U (16 member(s) have cast votes)

Which console will you buy?

1. Xbox One (2 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

2. Playstation 4 (7 votes [43.75%])

Percentage of vote: 43.75%

3. Wii U (2 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

4. None (PC Gamer) (5 votes [31.25%])

Percentage of vote: 31.25%

Vote Please sign in to vote.

#1 D7777

D7777

WinMatrixian

• 114 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:21 PM

You have seen Xbox One, Playstation 4 and Wii U at E3. So have you decided which console will you buy?

GgdZlBZ.png

#2 Josh007CL

Josh007CL

WinMatrixian

• 72 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:34 PM

While I play PC games and do not have an Xbox or PlayStation, I have been more and more interested in console gaming and like what I see on the PlayStation 4 and may end up getting one. In your table above PS4 will eventually have a type of backwards compatibility when the introduce streaming of previous PlayStation games. Also the specs on their site say it will have USB 3.0 so it may very well be able to support external storage.

#3 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:43 PM

PC gamer over here.

Not really familiar with consoles, but i'm sure there is more to the consoles than these raw specs suggest. Kinect is a huge differentiation for the Xbox. But, the Playstation has pricing on its side.

#4 R@6271M3

R@6271M3

Donnie

• 347 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:53 PM

PS4: Cheaper and no fee for the used games. Too bad now you have to pay monthly for playing the multiplayer games.

#5 Eye Pie Rate

Eye Pie Rate

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,180 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:59 PM

It's worth mentioning that the the 500gb HD on the PS4 is removable whereas it is not removable on the XB1 or Wii U. Interesting to see how the PS4 would perform if you were to put an SSD in it. As josh said, backwards compatibility will be semi supported for the PS4 with Gaikai allowing streaming of the most popular and demanded PS3/PS2/PS1 titles.
Honestly, for the price I believe you're getting a decent amount of computing power with the PS4. It's at least superior to the XB1 in terms of hardware on paper, though as we saw with the PS3 vs 360 where the PS3 was vastly more superior on paper, that doesn't always mean it will be better. I believe Sony have hit a home run with shunning DRM on used games and not having to authenticate every 24 hours to play games.

From what I've gathered from the internet and from even my friends just personally telling me or people I know posting status' about it.... 9/10 people are opting for a PS4, so Microsoft need to seriously reconsider their strategy here.  That being said, I won't be getting either of these consoles, why? Because I'm running a 3570k @4.6ghz and a GTX 780 which I will be running in SLi in the next coming weeks... on a SSD, with 8GB 2133mhz RAM. I probably have the computational power of a PS4 and a XB1 put together.  This is the first time I've built a maxed out gaming rig like this, mainly because I'm now old enough to afford one but also because since we first were told that the new consoles are running x86 CPU's it has dawned on me that nearly all games for the new consoles can be easily ported to PC with little difficulty in terms of optimization and support. Infact, it won't even be considered much of a port since it's basically a PC game running on a slightly modified piece of hardware that has been available in the market for a little while now. 

#6 Eye Pie Rate

Eye Pie Rate

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,180 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:04 PM

And just as an addition, the Wii U is now grossly overpriced compared to the PS4 in terms of what you get for the extra $50 you pay for the PS4. The Wii U needs to drop in price literally $100. 

#7 Josh007CL

Josh007CL

WinMatrixian

• 72 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:48 AM

Agree with the above. I'm in the same boat on the PC. I have a 3570k (not overclocked) and GTX 670 and 8GB Ram. I can run everything at max. Problem is a lot of games (for me anyways) have gotten boring and when I do play I want to use my xbox 360 controller. Then you have to find an interesting game that supports it. I'm considering looking into xpadder but I've heard that can only do so much when a games not designed for the controller.

Anyways there's a lot of threads going around and like you said 9/10 people are choosing the PS4.

#8 Eye Pie Rate

Eye Pie Rate

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,180 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:57 AM

I actually use my PS3 controller and emulate it as a 360 one on games, nearly all new games support it. Infact, the only game I've recently tried to play personally that didn't was Mass Effect 3. Never used Xpadder but I would imagine it wouldn't be that useful if that game is fairly complicated, would easily work for simpler games though. 

Mass Effect (Any and all)
Assassins Creed (any and all) 
BioShock (any and all, especially infinite) 
Telltale Walking Dead series 
The Witcher 2
Skyrim
Dishonored
LA Noire
Dead Island
Crysis (Any and all)
Just Cause 2 
Civilization 5
SimCity
Dead Space (any and all)
Alan Wake
Batman Arkham City 

Any of these games will keep you busy and are great.

Shit I'd even recommend FIFA 13 or Black Ops 2 on PC, far better than console experience respectively. 

#9 RUY

RUY

Active WinMatrixian

• 682 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:34 AM

I am also PC gamer but thinking to shift to console and will buy PS4.

#10 BinaryChaos

BinaryChaos

WinMatrixian

• 169 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:29 PM

Meh, Xbox is more entertaining than Sony to be honest and they have a bigger library of games as well. PS4 maybe more superior than xbox in terms of hardware but Xbox has a lot more to offer so it'll definitely be Xbox for me since they strive on innovation and probably add more capabilities to the xbox in the future that Sony can't even match. Xbox is still the winner but Microsoft has to rethink their methods on how they deal with their games cause they will turn off a lot of people with their used game fee which I find absolutely outrageous. I for one can be a picky person and the only thing that turned me off of PS3 was the controller it made my hand hurt after 10 minutes of gaming and the rechargeable battery itself was a terrible mistake that you have to buy a new controller when the battery dies as oppose to the xbox controller you can buy a new battery at the local store and the handling of the controller was more comfortable. What I'm trying to say is that these consoles can add as much fancy gadgets to their systems all they want but at the end of the day people are looking to save money, convenience, and comfort.

#11 Eye Pie Rate

Eye Pie Rate

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,180 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:58 PM

Meh, Xbox is more entertaining than Sony to be honest and they have a bigger library of games as well. PS4 maybe more superior than xbox in terms of hardware but Xbox has a lot more to offer so it'll definitely be Xbox for me since they strive on innovation and probably add more capabilities to the xbox in the future that Sony can't even match. Xbox is still the winner but Microsoft has to rethink their methods on how they deal with their games cause they will turn off a lot of people with their used game fee which I find absolutely outrageous. I for one can be a picky person and the only thing that turned me off of PS3 was the controller it made my hand hurt after 10 minutes of gaming and the rechargeable battery itself was a terrible mistake that you have to buy a new controller when the battery dies as oppose to the xbox controller you can buy a new battery at the local store and the handling of the controller was more comfortable. What I'm trying to say is that these consoles can add as much fancy gadgets to their systems all they want but at the end of the day people are looking to save money, convenience, and comfort.

I'm going to break this down factually rather than an opinion post. 

1) Xbox is more entertaining? Says who, you? Next. 

2) Larger library of games is true, but the actual reasons behind this are fairly easy to understand, the 360 had just under a year on the PS3. It was also cheaper than the PS3. It was also easier to code at first for the PS3. That alone can cover the 250 games the 360 has more than the PS3, but when you look at exclusive games, you'll see that even though the PS3 has a smaller library of games it has more exclusives still. I could bring in the fact that the original 60GB PS3's supported PS2 and PS1 games aswell so originally the game libarary for the PS3 was in the thousands at release, but this point is obviously now null seeing as for whatever stupid reason Sony decided to drop backwards compatibility for the PS3. Anyway...

3) The Xbox has alot more to offer? Being a really really really gimmicky way to control your TV, which by the way is being watched less and less with people turning to streaming services and downloading TV shows more and more. To put in perspective, Siri was cool when Apple announced it, but who here actually uses it? I have an iPhone 5 and I can honestly say the only times I have is when I first got the phone for a couple of days and when I use it to show off to friends. It's a gimmick. Nobody was complaining about using a remote before, Microsoft created a market out of thin air, there was no demand for voice control TV for the masses. 

4) Sony can't even match? You think PS4 won't also be getting upgrades to its capabilities and services just like the XB1 will? What about Gaikai? What about further PSN updates, what about future developer skill on coding, a PS4 launch game will have terrible graphics compared to what a PS4 game will look 3/4/5 years down the line. Obviously that applies to XB1 aswell. So that argument can go to both sides. 

5) Xbox is still the winner? According to... you? Not according to 94% of gamers my friend. 

6) The controller made your hand hurt? OK I can't dispute that maybe it did, I can't know that but you're the first to say it made your hand hurt rather than it was "too small for my hands" that other people have said, and I agree, the 360 had a better controller that wasn't built for small Japanese hands. Not to mention the triggers were more useful. The in-built battery however, you've pulled that one wayyyyyyy out of your ass. I've had a PS3 controller since launch. Since 2006 and although I've bought another Dualshock 3 to replace it, it still works absolutely fine. Still charges fine, still runs fine. Nor have I ever heard of PS3 controllers dying because of the battery, a very rare occurrence indeed. Finally your point about the controller is completely void now anyway that the Dual-shock 4 has updated ergonomics. 

Honestly, I have both consoles because I wanted to play both exclusives etc etc but there is no way in hell I would ever buy a console that charged me for used games, made me have to always be online, gave me no removable HDD and region locked games. This has nothing to do with being a fan boy, if it were Sony that were doing the same, I would be giving them the same stick too. It's an outrageous move by Microsoft. 

#12 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:44 PM

Honestly, I have both consoles because I wanted to play both exclusives etc etc but there is no way in hell I would ever buy a console that charged me for used games, made me have to always be online, gave me no removable HDD and region locked games. This has nothing to do with being a fan boy, if it were Sony that were doing the same, I would be giving them the same stick too. It's an outrageous move by Microsoft. 

Okay, guys, there is alot of FUD going around about this. What Microsoft did was not outrageous. There are very good reasons behind this.

The reason why you need to be online at least once every 24 hours is because the Xbox lets you install and then play the game without inserting the disc. When you buy and install a physical copy of the game, it is tied to your Xbox LIVE account. In order to verify that the physical copy of the game is still yours and not being installed and used by another person, it checks online. You can download, install, and play the game anywhere (includes saved games, user profiles, and even preferences) as long as you are signed into that account. If all this sounds familiar, it should, because this is basically exactly the same way Steam works on PC. You can also buy the game online, and have it in your Xbox LIVE account forever. Buying online lets you get the game immediately when it is released.

The always-on functionality also enables the background downloading of game/system updates. I hope Microsoft eventually finds a way to get the console offline though.

If you want to sell away the physical copy of the game, you will either need to un-link that physical copy of the game from your Xbox LIVE account or transfer the ownership to someone on your friends list. When you do sell the game, Both PS3 and Xbox One can charge gamers for used games. Go read it up. However, it is up to the publisher to decide if they want to charge for the used games.

I agree that consoles should not be region locked.

About what BinaryChaos said about the Xbox having alot more to offer, maybe he wasn't talking about just the live TV stuff? Xbox lets you Skype with your friends while playing thanks to Kinect. Kinect also is becoming used in more games, you can whistle to get someone's attention in Splinter Cell: Blacklist, hustling in your living room will give away your location to the zombies in Dead Rising 3, you can give directions to your troops by pointing your hand at the location on your screen and give voice commands to carry out, and finally of course, Kinect encourages you to get off your ass :lol:. Now that Kinect is bundled with every Xbox, developers don't have to hesitate to implement Kinect features in Xbox games. Perhaps we might see touch-based games ported over to the Xbox using Kinect as a substitute for touch input. We might get there one day. Xbox also lets you use SmartGlass as a trackpad while using Internet Explorer on your TV. It is really much more than what the PS3 offers. If you are hardcore gaming purist, i'm sure that all you want is just your analog controller to play some of the same FPS games that we've been getting for years. Outside of that, is a whole other market.

#13 Eye Pie Rate

Eye Pie Rate

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,180 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:24 PM

The reason why you need to be online at least once every 24 hours is because the Xbox lets you install and then play the game without inserting the disc. When you buy and install a physical copy of the game, it is tied to your Xbox LIVE account. In order to verify that the physical copy of the game is still yours and not being installed and used by another person, it checks online. You can download, install, and play the game anywhere (includes saved games, user profiles, and even preferences) as long as you are signed into that account. It is basically exactly the same way Steam works on PC. You can also buy the game online, and have it in your Xbox LIVE account forever. Buying online lets you get the game immediately when it is released.

The always-on functionality also enables the background downloading of game/system updates. I hope Microsoft eventually finds a way to get the console offline though.

If you want to sell away the physical copy of the game, you will either need to un-link that physical copy of the game from your Xbox LIVE account or transfer the ownership to someone on your friends list. When you do sell the game, Both PS3 and Xbox One can charge gamers for used games. Go read it up. However, it is up to the publisher to decide if they want to charge for the used games.

So the disk serves no purpose other than a quick download. The physical disk you buy is technically not your property. You can't lend it to a friend so they can check out the game. What if I don't ever play online games? What if for whatever reason you don't have internet connection, even be it if your ISP is having issues for a couple of hours/days, does that mean you can't play an OFFLINE game? Why? Steam isn't a console, and it has alternatives, you don't have to buy form Steam, you can still buy physical copies of PC games and install them and then give them to a friend whenever you like etc that is what is means to be a owner of something you bought. The XB1 is forcing users to be connected (idiotic move), charging people for used games (idiotic move). 

The PS4 itself will not be blocking used games. Certain games may have some of its online features disabled if the game is second hand, but the campaign/single player mode will still be playable on the PS4. That is nothing new, the PS3 and the 360 already do this for some games. The key difference is, for example, I could not lend my friend a XB1 game that had absolutely no online features for him to play without him paying a fee. And I say once again, the voice control is a gimmick. "Xbox, go to channel 1" would take just as long as me pressing 1 on a remote. I won't even begin to go into the privacy mayhem this is going to cause with the Kinect always on, always listening and always online... especially with what's going on in the news right now. 

What Microsoft have just pulled off with the XB1 is literally retarded. I cannot fathom the conversation they had sitting around a table coming up with ideas for their next console. I just can't.
"Listen up gents, lets completely alienate our fan base by focusing on a dying media, the television by making people believe that using a remote takes way too long and having to speak to your TV is absolutely must have." 
"Alan, you're a genius, go on."
"Yeah and lets also make sure that we disregard all sense of ownership by making people pay for used games and completely jeopardising the used games business which makes up the majority of game sales across the world."
"Fantastic."
"Lets also region lock our games, I'll be fucking damned if an uncle living in America can send his nephew in the UK an xbox game for his birthday." 
"Go on, you're really onto something"
"Fuck yeah, lets also charge more for inferior hardware to that of our competition and also including HAL9000 as a mandatory accessory to the xbox, because our studies have shown that over 9000% of gamers want to play with their body as the controller. Oh and lets make sure that the harddrive bay is sealed off, because having a removable one on the 360 was a terrible idea and it lost us BILLIONS of dollars."
"Alan, you sir, are a genius. The people are going to love it."

JUST WHAT THE FUCK WERE THEY THINKING. 
God damn it it makes me angry when I imagine this conversation in my head and no-one in that boardroom decided to just shout. 
"Actually no guys, all those things are BULLSHIT."

WHERE IS THAT PERSON. WHY DID THAT NOT HAPPEN.

#14 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:27 PM

So the disk serves no purpose other than a quick download. The physical disk you buy is technically not your property. You can't lend it to a friend so they can check out the game. What if I don't ever play online games? What if for whatever reason you don't have internet connection, even be it if your ISP is having issues for a couple of hours/days, does that mean you can't play an OFFLINE game? Why? Steam isn't a console, and it has alternatives, you don't have to buy form Steam, you can still buy physical copies of PC games and install them and then give them to a friend whenever you like etc that is what is means to be a owner of something you bought. The XB1 is forcing users to be connected (idiotic move), charging people for used games (idiotic move). 

I don't think you even got the point. You are getting angry based on your own misunderstanding.

Yes, the disc serves as pretty much a quick download. The ownership of the game is not the disc itself, it is the game on the disc. And the game is tied to your Xbox LIVE account. My goodness. Your ownership of the game is tied to you, not the physical disc. Even if you lose the disc one day, you still have access to the game in the future no matter how many years later, because the game is in your Xbox LIVE account! The disc is just there to serve as that 'quick download' you mentioned. How is it possible that I seem to be the only one that understands this?

Let's not kid ourselves. If you can and are willing to spend $399 on the PlayStation, then i'm sure you definitely don't have an issue with something as staple as an Internet connection. Everyone is connected. Time to embrace the Internet as something that is as synonyms as having Electricity. That said, I really hope Microsoft finds a way to get the console to work offline for people that really don't play online or is in a circumstance where he/she has a game console + HD TV but somehow does not have an internet connection.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: xbox one, ps4, wii u