• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 SurB86

SurB86

Surendra

• 1,438 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:17 PM

FNrXPUn.png

A leaked Windows 8.1 screenshot has revealed the look of the Start button that's rumored to be returning to Windows with an update. Clicking on the button will likely return users to the Start Screen, rather than opening a menu like in earlier versions of Windows. However, the Start Screen can reportedly now use your desktop wallpaper as its background, helping to blend the potentially jarring change between the desktop and Modern UI style interface.

jGNGis5.jpg

Source: ZDnet

#2 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 04:31 PM

The Start Screen just got better!  :woot:

#3 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 05:47 PM

Useful.  Good addition!  Especially the use wallpaper, semi-seemless now, good job MS!

#4 pcHuntqwerty

pcHuntqwerty

QWERTY

• 1,999 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:29 PM

Start Screen now looks like a set of desktop widgets, without taskbar. I like it! (Y)

#5 mediar

mediar

Active WinMatrixian

• 468 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:14 PM

tumblr_lgedv2Vtt21qf4x93o1_40020110725-2

#6 Eye Pie Rate

Eye Pie Rate

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,180 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:45 AM

Actually looks good. Without a start button, I honestly thought it looked like the OS hadn't been finished or that my explorer.exe was being shit

#7 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:47 AM

the changes here are nothing compared to the full list, and the full list isn't even complete yet until MS shows everything off at BUILD.

1. Clicking the Start Button (on the lower left hand corner) can take you to All Apps instead of the Start Screen
  2. Boot to desktop is now available, disabled by default
  3. Snap view also is now variable, you can resize apps to any size you want, desktop apps and metro apps can be snapped size-by-size
  4. The number of apps that you can snap increases with your screen resolution
  5. Metro apps can now open more than 1 Window, you can open 2 Internet Explorer Metro and snap both side-by-side
  6. Microsoft admits that Xbox Music is trash, the app will be getting a overhaul
  7. Microsoft also admits that the layout of the Windows Store wasn't very good, the Store will be getting a overhaul
  8. Metro apps can appear across Multi-Monitors, Start Screen can stay on one monitor when the app opens on another
  9. The four 'hot corners' of the screen can now be changed or disabled
  10. SkyDrive file syncing is integrated into the OS, you no longer have to install the SkyDrive desktop/metro app

Also, there is a Help & Tips app now included for those that are confused about stuff. This is the kind of new OS mac users pay $30 for every year while Windows 8.1 is going to be free, less than a year since Windows 8 was released  :lol:

#8 Eye Pie Rate

Eye Pie Rate

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,180 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:51 PM

If I'm honest, It's a service pack, not a new OS and it's free because of the mass complaints people had for RTM Windows 8.

#9 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 04:16 PM

If I'm honest, It's a service pack, not a new OS and it's free because of the mass complaints people had for RTM Windows 8.

yeah, it's not a new OS in the Windows world. I'm sure Apple users would gladly pay $30 for a thing like this...you know, a service pack.

I guess the difference here is that Windows 8 was unfinished and Microsoft shouldn't be charging for the fixes. That, I agree with. There is literally no way to sell Windows 8.1 for any sum in that context.

#10 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:52 PM

I can't wait for the new Search in 8.1:

marilyn2k.jpg

#11 yanike

yanike

I am YM. If you don't know me, you will.

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:34 PM

Am I the only one who thinks Windows 8 looks lost and confused?

#12 zqqm

zqqm

New WinMatrixian

• 7 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 03:22 AM

Wery nice..

#13 Borix

Borix

Active WinMatrixian

• 823 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 05:47 AM

Also, there is a Help & Tips app now included for those that are confused about stuff. This is the kind of new OS mac users pay $30 for every year while Windows 8.1 is going to be free, less than a year since Windows 8 was released  :lol:

Thanks for the summary (no need to drag apple into it though ;))

#14 mediar

mediar

Active WinMatrixian

• 468 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:31 AM

I can't wait for the new Search in 8.1:

marilyn2k.jpg

What kind of monitor is that? 54:9? Or to see it, I have to use 5-6 monitors at once?  :D

#15 Eye Pie Rate

Eye Pie Rate

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,180 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:46 PM

Here's hoping the gaming benchmarks in 8.1 out do Windows 7. I'll upgrade my gaming rig to 8.1 instantly.

#16 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 04:07 PM

Thanks for the summary (no need to drag apple into it though ;))

Just trying to make the point that people have a rose-tinted view of Apple in general.

Am I the only one who thinks Windows 8 looks lost and confused?

Windows 8 isn't confused, customers are confused, and Windows 8.1 is addressing that.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: windows 8.1, metro