• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Liskiller

Liskiller

Super WinMatrixian

• Elites
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:24 AM

Microsoft releases two new video ads for Office, in which the company attacks Google Docs.

Here's the first ad:

The description says "Google Docs has deficiencies when compared to Microsoft Office. People have to find ways to overcome feature gaps and offline access by working harder, spending their time finding workarounds, or potentially using third-party tools to overcome the gaps."

The second ad: Google Docs isn't worth the gamble

"Why take the gamble on converting your Office files to Google Docs when you can use Microsoft Office and the Microsoft Office Web Apps to create, share and edit your Office files with your content intact? When you build and share compelling, accurate, and impactful information, make sure you get what you bargained for."

The videos are funny indeed but Microsoft forgot to mention one thing -- Google Docs is free!

#2 mediar

mediar

Active WinMatrixian

• 468 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:27 AM

The videos are funny indeed but Microsoft forgot to mention one thing -- Google Docs is free!

!!!

Microsoft just acting retarded once again.

#3 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:49 AM

I hate google docs, especially slides and spreadsheets, they're terrible, no match for PowerPoint and Excel. Even if Office isn't free, it has become alot cheaper over the years, you can get it for free with Windows RT, it's free on my Windows Phone, Office Web Apps are free (now comes with realtime co-authoring and works with skydrive which is ALSO free), and if you pay for Office 365, it is really cheap. Office is the one thing I don't mind paying for, i'd take it over the *other* free solution anyday.

Of course, people on this forum don't really care about all this, the important thing to take away from these videos is that Microsoft sucks (HOW DARE THEY TRY MAKE MONEY!!!) because they don't give away things for free, thus they're retarded and we all should be bashing them.

#4 fediaFedia

fediaFedia

Super WinMatrixian

• Elites
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:04 PM

I'll have to agree with the user above this time. MSOffice is a vastly superior tool and currently no software in existence can even compare. I hate the "free" argument when it comes to serious software. I'm happy to pay for powerful, topnotch software suite that's being used by pretty much everyone.

#5 mediar

mediar

Active WinMatrixian

• 468 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:46 PM

Microsoft is retarded, because they just can't understand one of the most important rights of every person on this planet - the right of choice. By all these stupid anti-google, anti-apple, anti-yahoo etc campaigns they prove that they just can't stand having competition and all they do is trying to limit customers' choice to only one option - their own product! There's no place for monopolists in the modern world and I think the EU commission should do something about it - Microsoft really deserves another solid fine for their anti-competitive approach! Instead of highlight the pros of their own products, they only point out the cons of competitors' products - the most disgusting marketing approach ever!  :angry:

#6 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:02 PM

Microsoft is retarded... By all these stupid anti-google, anti-apple, anti-yahoo etc campaigns they prove that they just can't stand having competition and all they do is trying to limit customers' choice to only one option - their own product! :angry:

I agree with everything that you said, but those words more so.  MS hates competition... like how Apple does.

Linux. FREE. OPEN.

#7 pcHuntqwerty

pcHuntqwerty

QWERTY

• 1,999 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:50 PM

We all know Microsoft Office is superior to Google Docs but these videos were really not needed. First Gmail man, then Scroogled and now making fun of free alternatives! (N)

#8 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:48 AM

Microsoft is retarded, because they just can't understand one of the most important rights of every person on this planet - the right of choice. By all these stupid anti-google, anti-apple, anti-yahoo etc campaigns they prove that they just can't stand having competition and all they do is trying to limit customers' choice to only one option - their own product! There's no place for monopolists in the modern world and I think the EU commission should do something about it - Microsoft really deserves another solid fine for their anti-competitive approach! Instead of highlight the pros of their own products, they only point out the cons of competitors' products - the most disgusting marketing approach ever! :angry:

The funny thing is that if Apple or Google did videos like this, it wouldn't be anti-competitive, it would be freaking awesome, and suddenly Google Docs would be superior, not because it's better, but because it's "free" and "open". They're saying it isn't worth the gamble.

Microsoft is not removing your choice to use Google Docs. They're not eliminating competition. They're saying that Office is superior, and it is. They've earned it.

I know I sound like a fanboy right now but seriously Google Docs is overrated, i've tried using it full time and my experience was just so horrible, I only get real work done with Office.

#9 Borix

Borix

Active WinMatrixian

• 823 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:31 PM

Google Docs for free for simple tasks

MS for bucks for more advanced tasks

About the adds: the remind me of the old Mac (vs PC) adds. Probably effective for the general public but pathetic in the eyes of geeks  :)

#10 mediar

mediar

Active WinMatrixian

• 468 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:01 AM

The funny thing is that if Apple or Google did videos like this,

Here's the key - there's no if! Because neither Apple nor Google can reach Microsoft's level of retardness...

Yes, we know Office is better that Google Docs, but Microsoft isn't advertising it's advantages, but trashing Google Docs instead! It's just Microsoft's retarded marketing approach - trashing the competitor's products instead of advertising their own!  :angry:

#11 Vegetto

Vegetto

WinMatrixian

• 241 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:39 PM

Microsoft is doing the same thing which Apple did with its "Get a Mac" ads.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: google docs, office 2013, microsoft, google