9 replies to this topic

#1 Jatin

Jatin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,867 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:00 PM

Yh5922q.png

The awesome guys at Tomshardware conducted a test to find out which web browser is the best. The latest versions for Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer and Opera had to go through a lot of different tests. They used everything like simple stop watch for startup and loading time to complex benchmark software like RIABench, Peacekeeper and Browsermark for testing JavaScript performance and Impact game engine and WebXPRT for testing HTML5 performance of the browsers.

But the most interesting one is the Memory Efficiency test. In this metric, they open a browser with one tab, record memory usage, open 39 additional tabs, and re-record the total memory usage. Then they close the additional 39 tabs and record again. They wait one minute and record the usage one more time. The first figure is subtracted from the last in order to see how much "bloat" remains after decreasing the workload (closing tabs).

Here is the test result:

hbtCeQm.png

Chrome takes the lead in Windows 7, with just 76 MB more after closing all 39 additional tabs.

The charts below contain the four individual memory readings:

KkYkoet.png KPnC68x.png

WrBUo2f.png EPFnMUN.png

Check other tests on TomsHardware like startup time, page loading time and hardware acceleration test.

#2 Abador

Abador

Abador

• 78 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:22 AM

IE10 works better than chrome on my lap. My chrome (without extensions) lags while I am scrolling on Facebook or chatting !

#3 Maximum Payne

Maximum Payne

Active WinMatrixian

• 351 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:50 AM

There is no way in hell Chrome could win in MEMORY test!

#4 yanike

yanike

I am YM. If you don't know me, you will.

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:23 PM

The best browser to use and code to is IE9. Why? Because millions use it and the web is only as strong as it's weakest popular browser.

Thank God Google, jQuery, and other companies are abandoning IE 6/7/8.

#5 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:04 PM

The best browser to use and code to is IE9. Why? Because millions use it and the web is only as strong as it's weakest popular browser.

Thank God Google, jQuery, and other companies are abandoning IE 6/7/8.

I expect IE9 to be abandoned within the next 1.5 years as well.

#6 pcHuntqwerty

pcHuntqwerty

QWERTY

• 1,999 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:01 AM

Damn, Opera sucks in memory efficiently! :(

#7 D7777

D7777

WinMatrixian

• 114 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:51 AM

Is it because Chrome keeps all the tabs in RAM for making them responsive? And Firefox flushes the data from RAM that's why it feels sluggish. Am I right?

#8 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:16 AM

Is it because Chrome keeps all the tabs in RAM for making them responsive? And Firefox flushes the data from RAM that's why it feels sluggish. Am I right?

yes.

#9 Faulkner

Faulkner

New WinMatrixian

• 17 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:34 AM

Opera and Google Chrome are best memory efficent.

#10 speedysix

speedysix

New WinMatrixian

• 9 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:05 AM

Well, if you use many tabs at once, IE10 is much better on Windows 8...if you don't don't then GOOGLE CHROME FTW!!

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: browser, chrome, firefox, internet explorer, opera, ie10