5 replies to this topic

#1 Liskiller

Liskiller

Super WinMatrixian

• Elites
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:23 AM

CLYkVLA.png

Microsoft initially planned to shut down Windows Live Messenger on March 15 and  migrate all the users to Skype. Now the company has announced that on April 8th, Microsoft will start blocking the existing users out of WLM. Users will have to upgrade to Skype where their contacts will remain intact. If you've already migrated to Skype and, have lost your Messenger contacts then refer this link to restore your contacts.

The process will take a few weeks to complete. English-speaking countries will be the first to be forced to move to Skype, while the transition will officially end on April 30 with Portuguese users.

Please note that Messenger Service will not be ceased. You can use third-party clients such as Pidgin, Adium, Digsby, and Trillian to chat with your Messenger contacts after April 8th.

Download: Skype

#2 SurB86

SurB86

Surendra

• 1,438 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:38 PM

I've already switched over to Skype. You can keep in touch with your Skype, Facebook and Messenger users with this easy to use Windows 8 app.

0qDPdB9l.jpg

#3 ~{/^OoMoO^\}~

~{/^OoMoO^\}~

Active WinMatrixian

• 549 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:18 PM

vsdc7ik.png

#4 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:39 PM

I'll miss Messenger, but good Riddance, Messenger was destined to die because Microsoft never re-invented it or thought of anything innovative to do with it.

#5 thorden

thorden

Active WinMatrixian

• 291 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:18 PM

I'll want the email notifier that wlm had in skype.

#6 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:51 PM

Paul Thurrott has spoken out against this, and man, he is on fire.

I have two pieces of advice for Microsoft.

One, forget this schedule. It’s never going to work. Skype sucks.

Two, this is your fault. Fix it. Take the reins on Skype, take them away from whoever is telling you that the Skype client is even passingly acceptable to replace Messenger. They are lying to, incompetent, or both. Skype needs to be taken in-house and fixed. And that needs to happen before you even think about abandoning Messenger.

Microsoft Sticks a Skype-Shaped Dagger in Messenger

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: skype