• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 P.McGinley

P.McGinley

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,086 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:25 AM

tU2aIT5.jpg

Microsoft isn't going to get the Aero glass theme back in Windows 8 so a developer decided to take matters into his own hands and made a hack that brings back the Aero Glass theme to the Windows 8 Desktop Window Manager (DWM). The hack brings the transparency and blur effects back into Windows 8.

The developer explains how his hack works. He says: 

I have developed DLL library in C++ which is injected into dwm.exe process (no system files replacement is required). Then, the functions used for window border drawing are hooked with my own implementation. This ensures that anytime DWM wants to draw the window border, the code is redirected into my library where I can change the parameters of vertex buffer, blend state and other stuff. Then I redirect back to the original drawing function. Transparent window border is drawn!

Currently, he implemented only blur effect using Direct2D. His plan is to return glow effect to the window caption and better shadow around the windows. He also asks the community to try to re-implement Flip3D functionality.

Download

Download the file and extract the .7z file with the help of 7-Zip into a "DWM" folder within the root of the drive where the operating system is installed, for example "C:\DWM" and double click on the "DWMLoader.exe" file. A command prompt window will then open, informing the user that Aero Glass is now enabled. For going back to the default Windows 8 interface, just close the command prompt window.

Source: MSFN

#2 ~{/^OoMoO^\}~

~{/^OoMoO^\}~

Active WinMatrixian

• 549 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:11 AM

It doesn't look as good as the original Aero. He still has a long way to go.

#3 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:06 AM

Aero doesn't look good without those heavy drop shadows on the windows like in Windows 7 and Vista.

#4 Mellexx

Mellexx

StanceWorks Addicted

• 329 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:45 PM

Aero doesn't look good without those heavy drop shadows on the windows like in Windows 7 and Vista.

True, but at least it's a start! If this ends up developing further I might actually start using 8 again. 

#5 pcHuntqwerty

pcHuntqwerty

QWERTY

• 1,999 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:05 PM

^^

You are not using Windows 8 just because of the Aero theme? :huh:

#6 Mellexx

Mellexx

StanceWorks Addicted

• 329 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:28 PM

^^

You are not using Windows 8 just because of the Aero theme? :huh:

That's not my only reason, I just seriously dislike the lack of aero among other things. I kept 8 on the desktop most of the time anyway 

#7 Elijah?

Elijah?

Believe it.

• 1,246 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:13 AM

I'll agree on the lack of drop shadows. One of my major gripes with Windows 8 was the severe lack of them, especially if you have your windows set to white. It makes windows a lot less easily distinguishable from each other.

#8 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:08 PM

6 years ago everyone was complaining because AERO was nothing but "eye candy". Now y'all are fighting for it back. :blink:

#9 BinaryChaos

BinaryChaos

WinMatrixian

• 169 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:43 PM

<_< I'm happy without the Aero, thanks. I like the way Windows 8 looks and I'm not looking back besides Aero uses a lot of graphics memory and can slow down gaming that's why some games disables aero before it loads up.

#10 pcHuntqwerty

pcHuntqwerty

QWERTY

• 1,999 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:54 AM

^

My thoughts exactly! In the power saving mode, my Windows 7 laptop used to disable Aero's transparent effects. Why Microsoft implemented Aero at the first place when it consumes battery?

#11 hb860

hb860

Super WinMatrixian

• Developer
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:38 PM

Drop shadows is theme feature, not DWM.

Aero theme from Windows 8 RP  still has those shadows

#12 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:49 AM

^

My thoughts exactly! In the power saving mode, my Windows 7 laptop used to disable Aero's transparent effects. Why Microsoft implemented Aero at the first place when it consumes battery?

That's because earlier versions of Windows were designed with the desktop in mind. Support for Mobile computers were tacked-on, such as power options in Vista, the epic fail of the Mobility Center, the Touch support in Windows 7 *cough*, poor trackpad performance on laptops (although that can be blamed on Synaptics as well), and so on.

Microsoft didn't really see mobile computing exploding the way it did in the past couple of years. So, now we have other industry leaders settings the trend, and Microsoft, well, they're reversing their own trends, such as lower system requirements (as opposed to higher), removal of performance-taxing features, and I hate saying this, but making desktops a second-class citizen in 2013. Sorry, there's no way around it, mobile computing is the way forward, and the desktop is second class.

#13 Bews

Bews

My First Post!

• 1 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:06 PM

Aero Glass download mirrors and popup-fixed versions: http://bews.tk/files/win8_aero_glass/

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: aero