Jump to content


Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

Microsoft Security Essentials fails another anti-virus test

antivirus mse

  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Burned Phoenix

Burned Phoenix

    WinMatrix Addict

  • News Poster
  • 3,488 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:37 AM

Almost all the antivirus passed AV-TEST's security test last month but not Microsoft Security Essentials. Microsoft later issued a statement that the test in question didn't measure their actual real-world protection. However, a new anti-virus test just released by London-based Dennis Technology Labs puts Microsoft in last place again, way behind all of its competition.
 
Dennis Labs has focused on eight vendors in the consumer area: AVG, BitDefender, ESET, Kaspersky, McAfee, Microsoft, Norton, and Trend Micro. The commercial products all did well enough, some of them very well indeed, but Microsoft's free antivirus failed the test.
 
mmkcyZO.png


WW70feM.png
 
Antivirus Test Report (PDF), via PCMag



#2 R@6271M3

R@6271M3

    Donnie

  • Member
  • 347 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:40 AM

OerVGNJ.png

#3 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

    your average joe (tm)

  • Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:03 PM

^ LMFAO!!!



#4 Elhuyar

Elhuyar

    Active WinMatrixian

  • Member
  • 364 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:22 AM

Is it a joke? How can an antivirus get negative protection ratings?



#5 ~{/^OoMoO^\}~

~{/^OoMoO^\}~

    Active WinMatrixian

  • Member
  • 549 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:13 AM

Ouch!

#6 P.McGinley

P.McGinley

    Super WinMatrixian

  • Member
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:36 AM

I installed Avast on the day when I upgraded to Windows 8. ;)



#7 Secured Tim

Secured Tim

    Call me Tim

  • Member
  • 2,085 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:27 PM

Well, something is better than nothing. At least now people get an antivirus in Windows 8 out of the box.

 

Windows Defender and MSE can detect 85% of malwares but for getting protection from the rest of the 15% of viruses, you need really need a better antivirus. :yes:



#8 Mellexx

Mellexx

    StanceWorks Addicted

  • Member
  • 329 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:30 PM

I have a friend who kept forgetting to install an av for months and he's perfectly fine with that, and myself have been fine using MSE for years. The 15% MSE is missing could easily be prevented by common sense 2.0!



#9 pcHuntqwerty

pcHuntqwerty

    QWERTY

  • Member
  • 1,999 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:56 AM

+1 for Common Sense 2.0.1. The best anti-virus ever!



#10 Borix

Borix

    Active WinMatrixian

  • Member
  • 823 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:37 AM

Still a fine example of MS dedication to its products.



#11 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

    your average joe (tm)

  • Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:59 AM

Still a fine example of MS dedication to its products.

MSE used to kick ass a few years back, not such what happened recently though.



#12 Borix

Borix

    Active WinMatrixian

  • Member
  • 823 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:40 AM

MSE used to kick ass a few years back, not such what happened recently though.

 

Thats why I have installed it and advised it to others. I am too lazy to change it, so I hope all the negative publicity gets some result.



#13 Kalphite

Kalphite

    ycsoft®

  • Member
  • 184 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:04 PM

MSE is not strict enough to face current threats anymore. It let a java drive by onto my system.  :(
At least avast tries to block it.



#14 K.L.Devine

K.L.Devine

    Active WinMatrixian

  • Member
  • 898 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:51 AM

Disable Windows Defender for time being and install Avast. When Microsoft will update it's antivirus we can easily uninstall Avast and enable Windows Defender again.



Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!



Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: antivirus, mse