Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Looking for Free Office 2013 Alternative? LibreOffice 4.0 Released!

office 2013 office libreoffice

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Ultimate John

Ultimate John

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,808 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:44 PM

NMdlKFJ.png

LibreOffice 4.0 has been released as a free alternative to Microsoft Office! Version 4.0 is a major update to the free and open-source office suite. LibreOffice 4.0 now can attach comments to selected text in documents, import Visio and Microsoft Publisher files, as well as get Firefox Persona themes.

The latest version has some 10,000 code changes made by over 500 contributors. Many of the major changes and additions improve the suiteā€™s interoperability with other applications. For example, it can import ink annotations from Word documents and integrate with Unity and integrates with Content Management Systems using the CMIS standard.

Download
Release Notes

#2 yanike

yanike

I am YM. If you don't know me, you will.

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:59 PM

I was just reading about this and waiting for the release. This is GREAT news!

#3 Chrominator

Chrominator

Active WinMatrixian

• 671 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:13 PM

You really don't need Microsoft Office for simple document editing.

You can manage your Google Docs documents with LibreOffice with OpenOffice.org2GoogleDocs extension.

Launch LibreOffice and go to Tools > Extension Manager > Add, browse the extension and enable it.

#4 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:49 PM

The 90's called. It wants its drop downs back. 

#5 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:27 AM

looool yeah that is a old interface design, but think about it, when it comes to office suites, there are only so many ways you can design it - with menus and toolbars, or a tabbed interface like the Ribbon that debuted in Office 2007. Copying the ribbon would be an infringement of Microsoft's IP, so we have menus and toolbars instead. It's not bad, it just an old design.

#6 Tataarujin

Tataarujin

Fight to the end. Be in the shadows.

• 422 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:10 AM

I actually miss the 90's, software was made for use, not for show.

#7 SeppWinkler

SeppWinkler

New WinMatrixian

• 39 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:36 AM

The problem is not in the vintage design. Someone could like it someone could dislike it. But the great problem is on today's big monitors with high resolution when the old interface is not very useful. The buttons from tool bars are too small and eyes are very tired after intensive use. So I think MS only goes with today's trends in the monitor designs. The ribbon is bigger and it is better for eyes. I am not telling, that every developer should use ribbon, but every developer should think about ergonomics, especially visual ergonomics. This interface from OO or LO is good for old 14 or 15 inch monitors, but not for modern wide screen monitors. 

#8 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:20 AM

I actually miss the 90's, software was made for use, not for show.

same goes for hardware  :(

#9 uch_haiden

uch_haiden

WinMatrixian

• 224 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:51 AM

The problem is not in the vintage design. Someone could like it someone could dislike it. But the great problem is on today's big monitors with high resolution when the old interface is not very useful. The buttons from tool bars are too small and eyes are very tired after intensive use. So I think MS only goes with today's trends in the monitor designs. The ribbon is bigger and it is better for eyes. I am not telling, that every developer should use ribbon, but every developer should think about ergonomics, especially visual ergonomics. This interface from OO or LO is good for old 14 or 15 inch monitors, but not for modern wide screen monitors. 

I think you can resize the icons and make it appear large and there are ways on how to theme / change the icons. I do not know however, if it also work in Windows/OS X since I only use LO in one of my favorite Linux distros (of which what I did).

I may be one of the few who dislikes the ribbon. It takes too much space by default so I leave it minimized/ I am not clicking it anyway (when forced to use Office), I mostly use keyboard shortcuts and if I forgot something/Office has no shortcut default for it, the old interface/menu is actually better. It can be reached easier without using the mouse and the organization is IMHO intuitive and properly organized (except for header / footer, why are they in the View Menu).

Although I agree every developer should think about ergonomics but I do not consider the horrible ribbon interface as one.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: office 2013, office, libreoffice