17 replies to this topic

#1 Burned Phoenix

Burned Phoenix

WinMatrix Addict

• News Poster
  • 3,488 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:37 AM

QgYCEYn.png

When you visit Steam download page from a web browser running on a Linux based OS, you are pointed to Linux version of Steam's website with a link to Steam for Linux beta shown above.

However, Valve is now showing the same page to Windows users as well, encouraging them to download Ubuntu and try out Steam for Linux beta. We all know about Gabe Newell's hatred of Windows 8 so this shouldn't be a surprising move. :)

Go to http://store.steampowered.com/ and click on Install Steam to see the promotion in action.

Via: Ubuntu Vibes

#2 pcHuntqwerty

pcHuntqwerty

QWERTY

• 1,999 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:25 AM

To be honest, the only reason I'm still using Windows is gaming. I'll definitely start using Ubuntu when most of my Steam games will be ported to Linux.

#3 OverKlockD

OverKlockD

WinMatrixian

• 212 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:47 AM

Valve, why all the sudden windows hate? (windows store hatred? ;)).  I mostly play FarCry 3 and Battlefield 3 (among other games). Good luck running them on linux at the moment. Oh and don't even get me started on direct x support. I think I will stay with windows.

They will have to discontinue Steam support for windows before I even think of moving to linux for gaming.

#4 Elijah?

Elijah?

Believe it.

• 1,246 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:27 PM

Yeah, when more than the current 5% of my Steam library can be played on Linux, I'll give it some thought.

#5 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:48 PM

Thank God I stopped running Steam. Such a pile of poo. I miss when games didn't require shovelware to play. 

#6 pcHuntqwerty

pcHuntqwerty

QWERTY

• 1,999 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:13 PM

I miss when games didn't require shovelware to play. 

Before Steam, all the games required DVDs to be inserted while playing.

#7 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:58 PM

the DVDs were nowhere near as annoying as the pseudo-DRM s*** that we have now, really.

#8 Jatin

Jatin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,867 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:12 PM

the DVDs were nowhere near as annoying as the pseudo-DRM s*** that we have now, really.

Agreed, Ubisoft should be mentioned here. Their Anno 2070 has the worst DRM ever with the activation limit of only three and when you upgrade your hardware, you have to activate the game again.

But Steam is the least annoying DRM. I consider it as a platform full of useful features instead of a DRM.

#9 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:47 PM

That > Steam

#10 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:26 PM

HATS FOR EVERYONE!

(Oh look, I was just made Lead Developer of Valve! ... j/k!)

Yeah, Gabe dislikes 8, not due to any tech specs or such, but because honestly, he views Windows Store as a threat to Steam.  So he is moving to the platform where he can hold a monopoly again, like how he did from Windows 98 to Windows 7.  ... Man!  That is a long time!

Current rumor mill (me and my friends) say that eventually Steam will go full linux (as per the Steam Box console), but I think that the existing Windows Steam games may get a patch to make them work with WINE under Linux/Mac, thus making the windows games still work, but also under other OSes,  meaning that they can be played under Linux/Mac also.

Anyway, my 2 cents.

#11 HellDriver

HellDriver

New WinMatrixian

• 43 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:14 PM

i would love to install Ubuntu..but unfortunately i love my gaming ...............

#12 Preath

Preath

Elite WinMatrixian.

• 2,352 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:18 PM

I tried to install Ubuntu on my laptop, and the only games that is supported by Linux in my Steam-list are those smaller indie games and like Trine 2, Team Fortress 2.. not so much to go on yet.

The potential is huge, we'll just have to wait and see if developers get the interest of developing their games for OpenGL and Linux.

#13 FilipeX

FilipeX

My First Post!

• 1 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:51 AM

I tried ubuntu before, and it's a good OS, but not even half easy to use as Windows. When you find a bug you will see that a simple Google search will not be enough, and you will have to face package downloads, command lines, updates and everything. Stuff like that will scare the average user, the guy that just want to turn his PC on and play his game.

#14 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:17 AM

Agreed, Ubisoft should be mentioned here. Their Anno 2070 has the worst DRM ever with the activation limit of only three and when you upgrade your hardware, you have to activate the game again.

But Steam is the least annoying DRM. I consider it as a platform full of useful features instead of a DRM.

I like Steam. Being run by Valve, they really understand gamers. Their steam sales and pricing says it all. Ubisoft and EA (Origin) on the other hand, are more concerned with their ROI rather than serving their target market.

That > Steam

Yeah, but physical disks fall out of retail shelves rather quickly. What if I want to get a game that I didn't get to try a few years ago? I can get it for cheap on steam, and I get a fully patched version of the game. BUT if I visit the store, the physical copy of of the disk would be overpriced, and even after installing, I would need to patch the game and other stuff. It's annoying.

#15 Jatin

Jatin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,867 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:46 PM

The above post is the exact reason of why I buy most of my games on Steam.

Moreover, in India, almost all the game publishers sell new Steamworks games for $18 only, in comparison to $50 in the US. I just buy retail boxed copy of games from sites like Flipkart.com and activate them on Steam. ;)

#16 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:39 PM

Agree with False and Jatin.  I only bought Portal 1 when Portal 2 came out, and that was a few years late... finding just Portal 1 (not The Orange Box) was hard.  Getting it on Steam saved major money.  However, had to go to local library, but the cost of Steam buy and gas to drive to and from library was still less that The Orange Box, so yeah, WIN.

Also, going to check out Flipkart,com now, thanks Jatin!

#17 WhistAler

WhistAler

WhistA

• 1,866 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:42 AM

Steam is the best!

#18 Ultimate John

Ultimate John

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,808 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:18 AM

"That > Steam"

I didn't know there are people on Winmatrix who hate Steam.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: valve, ubuntu, steam