• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ThunderROM

ThunderROM

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,637 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:08 AM

overview.png

SweetLabs just released a new version of its 'Pokki Windows 8 Start Menu'. In addition to the existing dark theme, there's a new light color theme. SweetLabs has refreshed the Pokki Menu's layout and design, search is enhanced with faster speed, increased scope of searchable items, and improved accuracy of results.

And they have introduced a highly requested feature: A Windows 8 start button! You can switch the Pokki Menu's taskbar button from the Pokki acorn to the Windows logo in the Settings! :D

windows-button-taskbar.png

The shortcuts included in the sidebar as well as the display of recently used programs are configurable from the settings panel.

settings.png

Release Notes
Download Pokki

In addition to the new version, SweetLabs also announced that Pokki has been downloaded 1.5 million times. People really want the start menu back in Windows. :D

#2 R@6271M3

R@6271M3

Donnie

• 347 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:03 AM

The light theme looks better but I use Pokki's for its taskbar notification apps.

#3 Jatin

Jatin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,867 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:59 AM

Pokki and Stardock knew that an average Windows user who has been using Windows for years will look for the start menu right after booting his/her new Windows 8 PC, and when not found, he/she will google for it.
Development of Start8 and Pokki's start menu show their farsightedness in the field of Windows customization.

#4 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:37 AM

Windows user who has been using Windows for years will look for the start menu right after booting his/her new Windows 8 PC, and when not found, he/she will google for it.

Not sure what you mean. On the desktop the Start "button" is still there in the lower left corner...

#5 Jatin

Jatin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,867 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:27 AM

Clicking on the lower left corner on Windows 8 launches the Start Screen. It's the new "useful" start menu for me and you, but for an average Windows user, who isn't interested in the new features, it's confusing.

It's not like that I don't like the Start Screen. It's nice and very useful but not on the desktop mode.

#6 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:46 AM

that looks even better than windows 7's start menu!
Development of Start8 and Pokki's start menu show their farsightedness in the field of Windows customization.
I'm sorry, but I disagree. They're bringing back a old (but widely used) feature that has been killed. I wouldn't call it windows customization at all. And it definitely isn't farsighted either...in fact, it's quite the opposite.

#7 Jatin

Jatin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,867 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:13 AM

Your point is valid. But I used the word "farsightedness" because both of these companies anticipated what a large portion of the Windows 8 user-base would be requiring.

#8 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

Your point is valid. But I used the word "farsightedness" because both of these companies anticipated what a large portion of the Windows 8 user-base would be requiring.

I see, yeah, that is true, there are alot of people that require this.

#9 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:17 AM

With the updated light theme, I may give Pokki a second try...

#10 Borix

Borix

Active WinMatrixian

• 823 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:49 PM

I installed it yesterday and I was pleasantly surprised. This works very smooth as a start menu replacement or addition to the desktop and I like the social apps in combination with the badges and notifications. 

Somehow this strikes me as a Google/Android project ;).

I tried start8, which was good aswell but is a paid app and more of a "step back" to W7. This brings an alternative/addition to the whole of the start menu in W8.

#11 K.L.Devine

K.L.Devine

Active WinMatrixian

• 898 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:12 AM

I installed it just for the apps. Really nice platform!

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pokki