browser chrome firefox ie10 opera

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SurB86

SurB86

Surendra

• 1,401 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:49 PM

We have Internet Explorer 10 in Windows 8, Firefox now has a new JavaScript engine and uses less RAM, and Chrome's been slowly improving its speed. How do the new versions of these browsers stack up against each other?

Lefehacker tested all these browsers and here is the result:

Cold Boot-Up Winner: Chrome!

xaqqH.jpg

Tab Loading Winner: TIE Between Chrome and Internet Explorer!

zWeK9.jpg

Cold Restore Winner: Chrome!

MZm6H.jpg 

JavaScript Winner: Chrome!

j8J0X.jpg 

Memory Usage (with Nine Tabs Open) Winner: Firefox!

Gbqb3.jpg

Memory Usage (with Nine Tabs and Five Extensions) Winner: Firefox!

ERK3f.jpg

Source: Lifehacker

#2 P.McGinley

P.McGinley

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,059 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:44 AM

Memory Usage (with Nine Tabs Open) Winner: Firefox!

Gbqb3.jpg

Firefox lags in my laptop when I open too many tabs but Chrome handles them smoothly. I think there is a reason why Chrome consumes more RAM than Firefox.

#3 R@6271M3

R@6271M3

Donnie

• 296 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:35 AM

Wow, I didn't know before that Chrome is this much good.

#4 Jatin

Jatin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:02 AM

Free RAM is wasted RAM. It juts sits there and do nothing. If you have more than 4 GB of RAM then you don't have to worry about the memory consumption of Chrome.

#5 uch_haiden

uch_haiden

WinMatrixian

• 220 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:14 AM

Free RAM is wasted RAM. It juts sits there and do nothing. If you have more than 4 GB of RAM then you don't have to worry about the memory consumption of Chrome.

I remember this statement, not from Chrome but from Fx defenders, back in the days. In fact it was Chrome people that belittled Fx due to its memory consumptions, I guess the tide is turned upside down now.

Firefox at workplace - it is the only option and whatever my mood is at home( IE, Fx or Chrome). They all perform nearly the same now. Mind you, I cannot differentiate differences in milliseconds. My gripe with Chrome is the faster it is the faster it crashes. Good thing it won't crash all the other tabs but reopenning pages that will eventually crash again pisses me off. IE 9/10 is the most stable based on my daily use.

#6 The Flashing Fish

The Flashing Fish

om nom nom nom

• 684 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:51 PM

I remember this statement, not from Chrome but from Fx defenders, back in the days. In fact it was Chrome people that belittled Fx due to its memory consumptions, I guess the tide is turned upside down now.

Firefox at workplace - it is the only option and whatever my mood is at home( IE, Fx or Chrome). They all perform nearly the same now. Mind you, I cannot differentiate differences in milliseconds. My gripe with Chrome is the faster it is the faster it crashes. Good thing it won't crash all the other tabs but reopenning pages that will eventually crash again pisses me off. IE 9/10 is the most stable based on my daily use.

The reason why Firefox received so much criticism was due to its poor performance and a memory leak that it had for years. Firefox's memory consumption on a cold start wasn't at all bad. But the problem became apparent the longer you left the browser open. Closing all the tabs back down to one would help a little bit, but it was endemic of a larger problem. Firefox at the time, and still does, keep all of its tabs as a single process. This is what helps drive memory usage down for Firefox. It also impacts the stability of Firefox too, as 1 tab can take down the whole browser.

If Firefox had low memory usage and great performance, you may have a point about Firefox. But clearly, you can see that low memory usage doesn't mean good performance. Before Chrome came around, you had Firefox or the aging IE6. Nobody cared about "speed" or optimization.

Firefox lags in my laptop when I open too many tabs but Chrome handles them smoothly. I think there is a reason why Chrome consumes more RAM than Firefox.

The reason is that Chrome has each tab as a separate process. Next time you have Chrome open, you will notice a bunch of "chrome.exe" in the task manager and only 1 "firefox.exe" regardless of the amount of tabs open.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!