workstation, to buy or build one?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MrDali

MrDali

WinMatrixian

• 100 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:02 AM

hello every one, iv been having somewhat of trouble reggarding a new pc im trying to build/buy, the thing is that im not trying to make a gaming pc but wrather a workstation, no playing, just working but with 3d softs like 3dsMax, Maya, realwave for simulations and other softs like Nuke, eye fusion, AE and PS...im trying to get in the VFX buisness and all i got now is a standar laptop, im not gonna throw this one away but i do want a bigger better machine since im not much of an optimaizer, i would need a monster to handle what i can thow at it. I know there are brand workstations out there but iv been having trouble finding them or even how to order them, for example, HP has a line of laptops that are laptop workstations like the HP Elitebook 877w which the specs seems fine although it only has 8gb of ram but it has a ati fire pro, the counterpart of the quadro series of nvidia, my laptop has 4gb of ram, so would it be wise to buy that laptop?, will the ati fire pro will make a big effect?....on the other hand, is it better to bouild my own franken pc to make it a workstation?.....just to summer up, if u are in the vfx buisness or animation, post-procesing, 3d simulations, and all that stuff, what brand laptop/desktop WORKSTATION would u buy or if not, how would u set up ur frankenstein of a monster workstation?....any light shine here is wellcome....sorry for my god awefull english, its been a while since i posted anything anywhere xD

P.S: Dream Workstation: Mother board with 2 phisical proccessors, each AMD 8 cores for a total of 16 cores, 32 to 64 gbs RAM, 1-2Tb HDD, Nvidia Quadro 4000 2gbs and a case and power supply that can support this setting.....is this to much?

#2 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:50 AM

I'd say that you should go ahead and build your own workstation, but the problem with doing that is the fact that you have to handle the warranty for all the individual parts yourself and service it yourself when it breaks down.

If you want to get a workstation and be done with fiddling around with it, I highly recommend the HP Z1. This machine has received alot of praise for being highly serviceable, being extremely quiet in operation, and having good aesthetics (especially the screen). I think it's expensive, but you may find this worth considering.

HP.jpg

Edited by FalseAgent, 07 January 2013 - 10:50 AM.

#3 MrDali

MrDali

WinMatrixian

• 100 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:05 PM

thx...yeah, i thought about buying all the parts and building one but i wanted to see if there are other options out there that might be what im looking for....that Z1 looks cool butt it would be better to get it with a quadro card, and i dont know about all in one pc, i rather have a laptop since im not sure but i think does all in one pc, u cant change hardware parts, i might be wrong but then again i might be right xD

#4 MrDali

MrDali

WinMatrixian

• 100 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:40 PM

BTW...i think a read somewhere that u can have a quadro and a tesla card in one pc...what are the actuall advantages of having a quadro card alone and a tesla card alone?, what are the actual purpose of each card?

#5 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:06 AM

BTW...i think a read somewhere that u can have a quadro and a tesla card in one pc...what are the actuall advantages of having a quadro card alone and a tesla card alone?, what are the actual purpose of each card?

I'm not sure about Tesla at all, sorry. But the Z1 comes with a Quadro card, Quadro cards are built specifically for super fast 3D computation (i.e. Ray tracing), they're good for fast 3D and video rendering. If you work with Maya and other Autodesk software alot, you will benefit alot.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!