11 replies to this topic

#1 Liskiller

Liskiller

Super WinMatrixian

• Elites
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:02 PM

K8iq4.jpg

Google first announced that there will be no Google apps for Windows Phone, then they pulled the Gmail sync support, then the news of blocking full YouTube app came and now Google is blocking Windows Phones user from accessing Google Maps on web. Google has really started to play the game dirty!

Google has took things a step further by blocking Windows Phones 8 and 7.5 and 8 from accessing maps.google.com. If you try to access the page, you are automatically redirected to Google's search page.

Google issued a statement on the situation to Gizmodo:

The mobile web version of Google Maps is optimized for WebKit browsers such as Chrome and Safari. However, since Internet Explorer is not a WebKit browser, Windows Phone devices are not able to access Google Maps for the mobile web.

Then Microsoft provided a short statement to Gizmodo, simply saying that:

Internet Explorer in Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8 use the same rendering engine.

Update: It looks like Google has forgot to redirect http://maps.google.co.uk. I'm sure it will be blocked too.

#2 Tataarujin

Tataarujin

Fight to the end. Be in the shadows.

• 422 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

WP users have "HERE" from Nokia, which has same quality, somewhere even better.

Google has right to play dirty. They suffered too much from Apple and now will use their possibilities to get more strenght.

#3 P.McGinley

P.McGinley

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,086 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:12 PM

But why only Windows Phone? Why not iPhone?

#4 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:39 PM

WP users have "HERE" from Nokia, which has same quality, somewhere even better.

Google has right to play dirty. They suffered too much from Apple and now will use their possibilities to get more strenght.

Nokia Maps may be better, but for people that want transit directions, Google Maps is still tops.

As a Windows Phone user...fuck you, Google.

That statement about WebKit is bullshit too - Microsoft is right, IE 10 on both the desktop and Windows Phone is the same thing. Also, how about Firefox? Firefox sure as heck isn't webkit, it's Gecko.

Also, check this out: Rafael Rivera from Within Windows passed the Chrome User Agent string but with Windows Phone as the OS, and it still got blocked.

YXfet.png

They're blocking Windows Phone, not non-WebKit browsers.

How is Google not more evil anymore? People say that Windows Phone's marketshare is insignificant and doesn't pose a threat to Android (example, see post below me), which is true. So why block Windows Phone, Google? Feeling threatened by some non-existent competition? Why hammer the nail that isn't standing out?

Fags. Doucebags. Greed. Everything about this just stinks so bad that I can't even believe that such a thing actually has been allowed to happen in this world. All this is so unnecessary.

3lalg.png

I'm sorry for ranting about this guys. The google maps experience on Windows Phone has always sucked, especially the mobile site in the browser, it isn't a huge loss to me. What users are angry about is Google's motives behind this. Google is not a small company anymore, they need to stop this childishness (such as dropping EAS and claiming that they'll steal 90% of MS Office's marketshare - yeah right) and start behaving maturely and realize the morals,ethics, and responsibilities of being a market leader. I don't know how, but I hope Google realizes this one day and pays dearly for their mistakes the same way Microsoft did.

Edited by FalseAgent, 05 January 2013 - 04:17 PM.

#5 pcHuntqwerty

pcHuntqwerty

QWERTY

• 1,999 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:47 PM

May be because iOS is already popular. Google can't take risk of upsetting billions of Gmail users . Where as Windows Phone stands no where in comparison to Android, if we talk about the number of users.

#6 Tataarujin

Tataarujin

Fight to the end. Be in the shadows.

• 422 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:37 PM

Epic buttrage

Wow, so much butthurt. Apply cold to burned area, man.

Windows Phone users should suffer.

Edited by Tataarujin, 05 January 2013 - 06:49 PM.

#7 Guyver01

Guyver01

WinMatrixian

• 52 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:45 PM

Still using Windows Phone, not a single sh1t given!!!

#8 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:07 AM

Wow, so much butthurt. Apply cold to burned area, man.

Windows Phone users should suffer.

It is people like you that makes me want to stab myself in the eye for even bothering to post here. (Also, it's "Apply cold *water to burned area")

"Be silent or let thy words be worth more than silence. - Pythagoras"

If Android is all about choice, then I should be able to choose to use Windows Phone. Many of my friends carry Samsung Galaxies/ HTC's, which is simply not what I want (or need). I have committed no crime in choosing a phone that fits my needs better. No matter how you slice it, this is Google being more butthurt than anyone else. They're going against their own values and mission statement.

Edited by FalseAgent, 06 January 2013 - 05:44 PM.

#9 Afzal

Afzal

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,668 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:04 AM

Because Safari is webkit-based.

Don't you people have Opera or Firefox on Windows Phone? Stop whining.

#10 ThunderROM

ThunderROM

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,637 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:17 AM

I agree with FalseAgent. Google is being evil here.
Not my favorite company anymore!

#11 Afzal

Afzal

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,668 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:53 AM

If Android is all about choice, then I should be able to choose to use Windows Phone.

Umm, we're talking about Google Maps. Not Android.

#12 Borix

Borix

Active WinMatrixian

• 823 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:41 PM

Just business as usual. Google obvious supports android and has a contract with apple (Google search).

Would be pissed too if I had windows phone too, but not at Google  :)

Edited by Borix, 09 January 2013 - 03:41 PM.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: google, windows phone, maps