Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

Avast: Dump IE and switch to more secure browser like Chrome!

chrome avast ie ie9

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 M.Sudoku

M.Sudoku

Super Duper WinMatrixian

• 2,191 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:40 AM

nfO1q.png

Microsoft confirms a flaw in Internet Explorer 6, 7 and 8 that can allow hackers to take control of a Windows-based computer if the user visits a malicious website. Microsoft has released a temporary fix available for the zero-day vulnerability until it can deliver a formal patch. The company is now recommending all its users to switch to IE9 or IE10, as these two releases aren't affected.

But Avast, the security company behind the most popular free antivirus recommends users to dump IE for Google Chrome in their latest blog post.

"We recommend switching browsers for a more secure one like Google Chrome. In addition to being more secure than IE 8, it is also faster and supports HTML 5, giving you a better browsing experience. Download free Google Chrome here," blog post says.

#2 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:35 PM

My new years resolution is to dump Google. Sorry Avast! Been using IE10 and love it. If you're on XP, it's time to upgrade.

Edited by Frylock86, 04 January 2013 - 12:36 PM.

#3 hb860

hb860

Super WinMatrixian

• Developer
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:59 PM

Avast on my laptop prevents all sites from complete load.

I dump Avast because of that.

#4 BinaryChaos

BinaryChaos

WinMatrixian

• 169 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:51 PM

Is Google paying them to say that???? What happened to Firefox or Opera? Sadly anybody running Windows can't upgrade their internet explorer to version 10 unless they have Windows 7 or 8 and sadly ie10 isn't even out for Windows 7 yet which supports HTML5.

In my opinion Microsoft has to rethink their methods and start supporting older versions of their Operating Systems with newer versions of internet explorer until the support cycle on a particular operating system has expired.

#5 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

Is Google paying them to say that???? What happened to Firefox or Opera? Sadly anybody running Windows can't upgrade their internet explorer to version 10 unless they have Windows 7 or 8 and sadly ie10 isn't even out for Windows 7 yet which supports HTML5.

In my opinion Microsoft has to rethink their methods and start supporting older versions of their Operating Systems with newer versions of internet explorer until the support cycle on a particular operating system has expired.

IE9/10 will never run on XP simply because the underlying technologies for XP were stripped away, and rightfully so. IE9/10 have been bang up browsers that never would be where they are today if they continued to support the outdated junk still floating around XP's codebase.

Simply put, if you're still using XP in 2013, then the shame is on you, not the browser developers. You can't move forward while holding on to the past.

Edited by Frylock86, 04 January 2013 - 04:58 PM.

#6 USG Ishimura

USG Ishimura

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,787 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:33 PM

Not only IE9 but Firefox also doesn't support Windows XP Pre-SP2. May be that's why Avast recommends to install Chrome.

#7 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:40 PM

Not only IE9 but Firefox also doesn't support Windows XP Pre-SP2. May be that's why Avast recommends to install Chrome.

If you're still torturing yourself with XP, that's bad enough. If you don't have SP2 by this point, you deserve to be shot on the spot.

#8 USG Ishimura

USG Ishimura

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,787 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:29 PM

^LOL, I agree. :lol:

#9 BinaryChaos

BinaryChaos

WinMatrixian

• 169 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:33 PM

If you're still torturing yourself with XP, that's bad enough. If you don't have SP2 by this point, you deserve to be shot on the spot.

I think he's just stating the facts nothing more but I don't think there is any 3rd party programs that support XP sp2 at this stage of the game. Also, there really isn't any excuse anymore to run Windows XP since Microsoft has been selling Windows 8 at a very low price for the past few months now and that discount will expire in a matter of weeks. Even if you can't afford a new computer with Windows 8 you can get the operating system for those that are on a tight budget which will run on older systems from the past decade.

Microsoft has been putting their best effort to help people move from XP so yeah I agree with Frylock86 to a certain degree but all I'm saying is it's irresponsible for Avast to come out and say you need to steer away from the browser when in reality it's the Operating System (meaning XP) that needs to be steered away from. You have to keep in mind XP still uses architecture from the days of Windows 95 and they have rebuilt the Operating System from the ground up starting with Windows Vista. It doesn't mean it is 100% secure but you are less likely to be infiltrated.

I just feel that Microsoft shouldn't support an Operating System if the user can't install the latest version of the native browser for better online security, since everyone is so reliant on the internet these days, they are just pushing people to use 3rd party programs and killing the edge that Internet Explorer has on the market.

#10 Darren 54

Darren 54

Active WinMatrixian

• 548 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:27 PM

Is it only me or it really looks like Chrome is humping IE?

Edit: Here you go!

X0gh7.png

Edited by Darren 54, 04 January 2013 - 09:38 PM.

#11 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:07 AM

I just feel that Microsoft shouldn't support an Operating System if the user can't install the latest version of the native browser for better online security, since everyone is so reliant on the internet these days, they are just pushing people to use 3rd party programs and killing the edge that Internet Explorer has on the market.

THIS X99999.

They didn't release Internet Explorer 9 for XP, but XP is still supported and still gets security updates. Huh? What good is that? Killing it a little is no use, Microsoft should just kill it completely. I bet that if Microsoft killed XP support completely with the release of IE9, Chrome wouldn't be supporting XP too. In fact, the only choice people on XP would have is to be forced to upgrade - and I bet that's the push that will work, people realizing the need to upgrade.

That would be epic win for Microsoft too - because people won't switch to 3rd party browser on XP, they'll freaking upgrade their OS and use the new version of IE, like IE 8 on Windows 7 (which is also already outdated in 2013  <_<) or IE 9 when they install updates. Still, better than nothing.

Edited by FalseAgent, 05 January 2013 - 10:11 AM.

#12 pcHuntqwerty

pcHuntqwerty

QWERTY

• 1,999 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:26 AM

Why there is no love for Opera? People don't even consider it an option. :(

#13 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:58 PM

Why there is no love for Opera? People don't even consider it an option. :(

So, you're the reason Opera still exists?

#14 pcHuntqwerty

pcHuntqwerty

QWERTY

• 1,999 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:28 PM

^

I just think Opera is underrated!

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: chrome, avast, ie, ie9