vlc video mpc

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 R@6271M3

R@6271M3

Donnie

• 347 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:57 PM

Everybody would be using VLC here but I like Media Player Classic - BE just because of one killer feature - seek bar video preview!

MPC-BE is an open source video player based on the original Media Player Classic (MPC) project. Similar to MPC-Home Cinema, MPC-BE contains great features and configuration but the best feature is it's seek bar with video previewing. You have seen this feature on YouTube. You just have to hover your mouse cursor over the seek bar, and the player will show you a frame from that point in the movie.

You can enable this in View > Options > Interface > check "Use the preview in the search".

MpwiB.png

#2 Secured Tim

Secured Tim

Call me Tim

• 2,085 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:32 PM

Really nice! The seekbar in VLC is slow in comparison to MPC and GOM Player.

#3 Phenom II

Phenom II

Active WinMatrixian

• 827 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:33 PM

Yea I like MPC too, I used to use it exclusively, but VLC is easier and doesn't need any extra codecs installed

#4 P.McGinley

P.McGinley

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,086 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:19 PM

You don't have to use this green modified version of MPC. It looks ugly. You can enable video preview in Media Player Classic - Home Cinema.

#5 pataoengineer

pataoengineer

@pataoengineer

• 1,155 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:06 AM

MPC works best with K-Lite codec which makes PC a home theatre where every type of media can be enjoyed.

I just simply love it. It's stable enough to keep using.

#6 hb860

hb860

Super WinMatrixian

• Developer
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:06 PM

VLC works without any codecs. I will stay with it

#7 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:51 PM

I use both VLC and MPC-HE.  Simply because at times subtitles wont "turn off" in MPC-HE, and at times I have codec issues with either one.  VLC does use codecs, just not in the normal "Windows" way of codecs, it's codecs are specific compiled static-linked DLLs instead of Windows normal .AVX files.

Also, CCCP codec pack works best for me.  Comes with MPC-HE, and plays the common video formats flawlessly.

#8 BinaryChaos

BinaryChaos

WinMatrixian

• 169 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:21 PM

<_< ...yeah, yeah I'm sure VLC is working on this feature as we speak. There is so many great things about VLC I could say that would probably take up this whole forum, lol, but with it missing that little feature (for now) is something I can live with.

#9 Burned Phoenix

Burned Phoenix

WinMatrix Addict

• News Poster
  • 3,488 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:43 PM

The seek bar video preview looks pretty cool but installing codecs and then configuring them is a pain in the ass. I use portable version of VLC.

#10 Preath

Preath

Elite WinMatrixian.

• 2,352 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:50 PM

MPC-BE is amazing, i have had it installed for a few days now, i like it more then MPC-HC. This thumbnail preview just made it even better! :)

Edited by Preath, 04 January 2013 - 10:51 PM.

#11 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:58 AM

but what if VLC gets this feature in the upcoming version? That would win alot of marketshare.

#12 R@6271M3

R@6271M3

Donnie

• 347 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:24 AM

I don't think this feature will come in any upcoming version.

Someone submitted the idea of the "Thumbnail Preview From Seek Bar" to VLC team 5 years ago. They didn't like it.
http://trac.videolan...vlc/ticket/1251

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vlc, video, mpc