4 replies to this topic

#1 Burned Phoenix

Burned Phoenix

WinMatrix Addict

• News Poster
  • 3,488 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 10:37 AM

TfGBX.png

Acer is going to launch a $99 Android tablet in early 2013 according to WSJ. The tablet called Iconia B1 will have a 1024 x 600 resolution screen, 1.2GHz dual-core processor, 512 MB of RAM, 8GB of internal storage and Android 4.1.2 'Jelly Bean' installed.

The specs will be somewhat similar to Amazon's Kindle Fire. But Acer plans to undercut those best-selling tablets’ $139 price tag by offering the Iconia B1 for around $99.

The company is also planning to launch a low-priced version of its Intel-based Windows 8 tablets in early 2013.

#2 BinaryChaos

BinaryChaos

WinMatrixian

• 169 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 02:34 PM

I wouldn't buy any Acer tablet products they don't support them for long. Given the Acer Iconia a500 lifespan that has somewhat better specs than what's mentioned above now only upgradeable to android 4.0. You are better off with a Samsung or Asus tablets because Acer will leave you out in the cold without any upgrades sooner than you think.

#3 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 04:01 PM

I would, and may, but this.  Lifetime support is not important, i know how to "sideload" apps, and even for a forced install of later or modified Android OSes.

This will come in super-useful for my Android development.

#4 Elhuyar

Elhuyar

Active WinMatrixian

• 364 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:22 PM

I have no problem with Acer if the price is $99. :D

#5 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:04 PM

I have no problem with Acer if the price is $99. :D

Same here  ;)

Actually, Acer has been stepping up with their hardware lately, especially with the their Timeline series. Even their iconia tabs are pretty attractive.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tablet, android