Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

[Infographic] The Windows 8 Debate: Start Menu or Not?

infographic windows 8 pokki start8 metro

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Jatin

Jatin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,867 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:52 AM

Pokki's Start Menu for Windows 8 has been downloaded 500,000 times as more and more users are upgrading to Windows 8 and feel the need for a Start Menu on their Windows 8 devices. Stardock has sold "tens of thousands" of copies of Start8, and more than 30 different Start menu replacements were driven in the market within a month of Windows 8's launch.

Do we really need the start menu in Windows 8? This topic always brings the heat to the conversation on WinMatrix.

Statistics obtained from Pokki's newly released infographic indicate that an average Pokki user clicks the third-party Start Menu approximately 10 times per day. And surprisingly 85 percent of the Windows 8 users install third-party start menu programs instead of using the Start Screen. 27 percent of the users want to disable the left hot corner, while 11 percent wish to turn off absolutely all hot corners. Skip Metro Suite released by hb860 which completely disables the Start Screen, hot corner and the Charm Bar appears to be quite popular on WinMatrix.

A substantial portion of WinMatix members praises Windows 8's new user interface but we can't deny the fact that a huge portion of Windows community was not ready for the change.

Here below is given the above mentioned infographic:

1zoNM.jpg

#2 Elhuyar

Elhuyar

Active WinMatrixian

• 364 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:08 PM

People don't like changes but when Windows 8 will be old and the Metro UI will be every where, people will start using it.

#3 Phenom II

Phenom II

Active WinMatrixian

• 827 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:12 PM

People don't like changes but when Windows 8 will be old and the Metro UI will be every where, people will start using it.

Nope, Windows 8 will fail and die like Vista

You said it yourself, people don't like changes, especially when they are pointless and make things more difficult

People want to use their PCs the same way they did since XP, visit facebook, chat on messenger, store photos, send emails, they do not want to have to relearn how to use their machine

Only a tiny % of PC owners enjoy such huge changes, the majority just want a machine that works and one they know how to use

Edited by Phenom II, 21 December 2012 - 12:14 PM.

#4 pcHuntqwerty

pcHuntqwerty

QWERTY

• 1,999 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:15 PM

Okay, then what will happen to Windows 9? Will Microsoft drop the Start Screen and bring back the start menu?

No, in fact the whole desktop mode will be phased out!

#5 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:36 PM

You said it yourself, people don't like changes, especially when they are pointless and make things more difficult

People want to use their PCs the same way they did since XP, visit facebook, chat on messenger, store photos, send emails, they do not want to have to relearn how to use their machine

Only a tiny % of PC owners enjoy such huge changes, the majority just want a machine that works and one they know how to use

Speak for yourself, man.

#6 Phenom II

Phenom II

Active WinMatrixian

• 827 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:02 PM

Okay, then what will happen to Windows 9? Will Microsoft drop the Start Screen and bring back the start menu?

I don't know if they will bring the start menu back, depends how badly 8 fails but 8 failing works in perfect order with MS's home PC OS releases

95 - shit
98 - good
ME - shit
XP - good
Vista - shit
7 - good
8 - shit

So following that pattern, 9 should be good

Getting rid of the desktop completely... doubtful for PCs, normal programs would have no environment to run in, possibly for ARM tablets

Metro UI makes a great tablet UI but a hideous PC one

Edited by Phenom II, 21 December 2012 - 01:16 PM.

#7 Mayankoo

Mayankoo

Mayank Agarwal

• 177 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:33 PM

I don't know if they will bring the start menu back, depends how badly 8 fails but 8 failing works in perfect order with MS's home PC OS releases

95 - shit
98 - good
ME - shit
XP - good
Vista - shit
7 - good
8 - shit

So following that pattern, 9 should be good

Getting rid of the desktop completely... doubtful for PCs, normal programs would have no environment to run in, possibly for ARM tablets

Metro UI makes a great tablet UI but a hideous PC one

Statistics speak for Companies, buddy.
As we are seeing these stats. We know that Start Menu is more than important to a normal computer user and so he is searching for alternatives to Start Screen and even disabling these things.

If this goes on then for sure Microsoft will have to bring back Start Menu to Windows 9 (or whatever will it be named) or as we had all wished for already i.e. separate environments for separate type of devices. Meaning Metro UI for Touch Devices (which include mostly Tablets & recently released Laptops etc. with Touch Support & some All-in-One PC's) & Normal Desktop UI for Non-Touch Devices.

Edited by Mayankoo, 21 December 2012 - 01:34 PM.

#8 Josh007CL

Josh007CL

WinMatrixian

• 72 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:41 PM

No we don't NEED a start menu, we just want one. As much as I have gotten used to the start screen, I would prefer my Win button (by itself) to bring up the task bar not the start screen.

#9 Phenom II

Phenom II

Active WinMatrixian

• 827 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:20 PM

#10 P.McGinley

P.McGinley

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,086 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:59 PM

Pokki is really awesome. I use Windows 8 Start Screen too but Pokki brings Android like awesomeness to your desktop. :D

#11 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:25 PM

Start8 here.  I actually dropped my own app to use the one from Stardock.  For that "classic" Windows 7 feel, cant beat it.

Having said that, I also like Launchy.  If people can remember the app names, they can just use that.

#12 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:10 AM

Been using the Start Screen from the... Start. Love it! Can't wait to see what Windows Blue brings to it! :)

#13 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:21 AM

Like I said. Flamebait material. First of all, Vista never "failed and died", it's still in extended support from what I recall, and gained bigger market share than even Mac OSX. PLUS the changes introduced in it, still lived on in Windows 7, and even carried into Windows 8.

People don't enjoy change, but they become accepting of it over time. The PC is changing whether those folks want it to or not, and it's time the OS changes with that. The changes in Windows 8 will be improved upon, and carried over into future releases.

Edited by Frylock86, 31 December 2012 - 02:24 AM.

#14 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:20 PM

People don't enjoy change, but they become accepting of it over time. The PC is changing whether those folks want it to or not, and it's time the OS changes with that. The changes in Windows 8 will be improved upon, and carried over into future releases.

This is very true.

#15 Phenom II

Phenom II

Active WinMatrixian

• 827 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:15 AM

Like I said. Flamebait material. First of all, Vista never "failed and died", it's still in extended support from what I recall, and gained bigger market share than even Mac OSX. PLUS the changes introduced in it, still lived on in Windows 7, and even carried into Windows 8.

Vista didn't fail and die? LOL HAHAHAHA

Ok you live in fantasy land, we`ll all live in the real world

Do you see MS advertising ANYTHING for Vista? No.

Do you see them trying to pull its ass out of the ground, NO.

Do you see anything other than the same updates and length of support they do for all their OSs, NO.

Wake up fanboi, your cornflakes are calling

#16 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:25 PM

Vista didn't fail and die? LOL HAHAHAHA

Ok you live in fantasy land, we`ll all live in the real world

Do you see MS advertising ANYTHING for Vista? No.

Do you see them trying to pull its ass out of the ground, NO.

Do you see anything other than the same updates and length of support they do for all their OSs, NO.

Wake up fanboi, your cornflakes are calling

Why would they? Vista is in extended support. It's not 2007 anymore. Vista still lives on in Windows 7, and even in Windows 8.

#17 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:32 AM

I used Vista when it came out first, and about 6 months in to Windows 7 had been out.  Out side of a driver bug (Re: Not MS's fault, the HW Maker's fault for a bad driver) I never had any issues with it.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: infographic, windows 8, pokki, start8, metro