Would switching to MAC be a mistake?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 MyDogJake

MyDogJake

New WinMatrixian

• 14 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:04 PM

Curious if others have tried the plunge - did you miss your Win PC?

I like to change my theme and interface all the time (must be ADD)... would the standard MAC GUI bore me after awhile?

Your thoughts?

#2 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:56 PM

Just use Linux. Even Linux has more apps than a Mac.
Mac's very well known for NOT being the gaming platform. If you like gaming, then use Linux + WINE / Play on Linux.

Seriously, Mac is nice, but to customize it you need to many 3rd party apps, and almost none of them are free.

Anyway, get Ubuntu, or Kubuntu, or even Xubuntu.

If you like customizing everything, get Kubuntu, because KDE4 is all about customizing every single thing.

Plus, you dont need new hardware. But you can get new hardware, and then put Kubuntu on it.

#3 Abador

Abador

Abador

• 78 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:57 PM

One question...
Is it necessary, is there something of MAC which you cannot do in Windows

I do not think it is really a good idea to do over expense just for MAC GUI. I own a MAC too, and I do not bother to look into the gui much, well I like the system.

#4 Elijah?

Elijah?

Believe it.

• 1,246 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:59 PM

I've been a huge PC guy for years, have built my own computers, and owned quite a few laptops. I needed a nice laptop for college, though, and had quite a bit extra cash and decided to take the plunge and buy the 15" Retina MacBook Pro. It is by far the best laptop (maybe even best portable device) I have ever owned. While I'm sure I would have been happy with the regular MacBook Pro, I figured I might as well spend the extra for the laptop that will last me four years through college.

Mac OS X is beautiful in my opinion. There are quite a few themepacks out there, but I haven't felt the need to mess with them (I change up my visual style on Windows all the time, though).

Edited by Elijah?, 01 December 2012 - 10:59 PM.

#5 The Alpha Gamer

The Alpha Gamer

Active WinMatrixian

• 996 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:44 PM

Mac's very well known for NOT being the gaming platform. If you like gaming, then use Linux + WINE / Play on Linux.

Seriously, Mac is nice, but to customize it you need to many 3rd party apps, and almost none of them are free.

If you like customizing everything, get Kubuntu, because KDE4 is all about customizing every single thing.

Plus, you dont need new hardware. But you can get new hardware, and then put Kubuntu on it.

While I agree with using Linux, if you don't like Ubuntu, try other distros instead of giving up on it. I happily used nothing but Linux for the better part of a year, but damn I dislike Ubuntu

#6 Elijah?

Elijah?

Believe it.

• 1,246 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:01 AM

What is the point of that? Just install Windows and get better framerates and actual support. Any serious gamer plays on Windows.

#7 hab

hab

Active WinMatrixian

• 996 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:52 AM

I personally LOVE Windows. I actually hate using OSX. I find multi-tasking much easier on Windows 7/8 and simple things like aero-snap are amazingly useful and the Windows 7 taskbar was probably the best upgrade ever from Vista.

Also, I love customizing my PC which Windows is great for, plus there's so many applications I use which are not compatible with OSX (Autohotkey, any 3D CAD program, Microsoft Minesweeper and Solitaire :P and lots of people love Rainmeter)

Edited by hab, 02 December 2012 - 12:52 AM.

#8 The Flashing Fish

The Flashing Fish

om nom nom nom

• 684 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:55 AM

I love my Mac and Mac OS X. Linux may have "more" programs available, but the number of quality, polished, programs is few and far between. I personally am annoyed by the perpetual beta of most Linux Distros (including Ubuntu). The user experience with different types of hardware can vary. To suggest Linux over Mac OS X just laughable. Linux is no more gamer friendly than Mac OS X. Wine, in general, is a joke. Poor performance, buggy compatibility. Besides, Steam works on Mac OS X, and Wine is available for Mac OS X. And for the most part, any open source Linux program is equally available for Mac OS X as long as the program is Unix compliant.

Personally, I could never use Linux in any type of productive manner. It is fun to play around with, but in the end it would just piss me off.

^FALSE! AutoCAD is available for Mac. Also, Mac comes with Automator.

Edited by The Flashing Fish, 02 December 2012 - 12:58 AM.

#9 _akier_

_akier_

Coming.

• 693 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:41 AM

I have owned and built several PCs, I also have several laptops. I've also built a Hackintosh for fun and to learn how it works. I've been through several versions of Linux and Windows,and in my opinion they are all the same. It just depends on what or how you use it.

I for one have a dedicated gaming PC and a separate MAC system for my media editing needs. Though, you can do almost everything on a PC regardless of whether it is running Windows or MAC OS X, I can say it is a matter of preference.

I like both Windows and Mac OS. I can survive using Windows or MAC OS my entire life, whatever app I need they both have it. I can customize it to however I want it.

#10 Elijah?

Elijah?

Believe it.

• 1,246 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:33 AM

Why is everybody capitalizing MAC? It's not an acronym, it's simply an abbreviation of Macintosh. No need to capitalize it, just Mac.

#11 Borix

Borix

Active WinMatrixian

• 823 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:25 AM

I have a PC with four OS's: win 7 & 8, ubuntu and OSX. Why drop one if you can have them all :)

I use win 7 as main OS on the PC. And I have a MBP which in my view is the best laptop/os combination.

They all have there pros and cons.

Edited by Borix, 02 December 2012 - 10:36 AM.

#12 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:07 PM

I don't think Mac is bad, but it's definitely overrated, and Windows 7 is underrated.

What really sells Mac is the hardware. Everyone says that "I want a "Macbook Air!", but no one actually says "I want OSX!".

That said, if you miss your PC when you switch to a Mac, you can always install Windows on your Mac. It works pretty well - unless it's Windows 8, because Apple hasn't included support for the new Windows 8 gestures on Macs yet. For the most part however, it works fine.

The default Mac GUI has evolved a little over the years. Windows has definitely evolved more. When it comes down to UI, it's a personal preference.

I never really got 'bored' of the Mac UI, and I still like the default look of Windows 7, and I also love Metro in Windows 8, which in my opinion is the boldest design ever for any software. In fact, the only UI that got tired quickly for me was Windows XP's Luna.

What I don't like is the direction of the Mac UI in recent years. The skeuomorphism of the UI is absolutely disgusting, especially in certain parts of Mountain Lion. I just think that, if I wanted to see a real calender, I wouldn't want to see it on my computer's screen, i'd just pick up a real calender. As a result of the skeuomorphism, the Mac UI has become a little less consistent that what it used to be in the past. This is just my opinion though.

Windows hit a all-time high with consistency when Windows 7 + Windows Live and Office 2010, but today, with Metro, things are no longer consistent on the Windows side of things either.

I think if you were to sum up about how I feel, it's pretty ambivalent. :P I mean, both OSX and Windows are good, for different reasons. There is no right or wrong.

For me, I have made my choice. After using a Mac for a few years, I find Windows 7 better, and the sole reason was because of Windows 7's window management. The dock, menubar, mission control, and blahblahblah OSX may have these days, none of them boded well with me the same way Windows 7's taskbar, aero snap, and aero peek did.

(please don't quote my post and disagree with my choice, thanks)

#13 yanike

yanike

I am YM. If you don't know me, you will.

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:55 PM

Curious if others have tried the plunge - did you miss your Win PC?

I like to change my theme and interface all the time (must be ADD)... would the standard MAC GUI bore me after awhile?

Your thoughts?

You can install Windows on your Mac if you need it.

What are all the things you are looking to do with your Mac?

#14 Preath

Preath

Elite WinMatrixian.

• 2,352 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:16 PM

I don't think Mac is bad, but it's definitely overrated, and Windows 7 is underrated.

What really sells Mac is the hardware. Everyone says that "I want a "Macbook Air!", but no one actually says "I want OSX!".

I think Windows is overrated overall, because the majority of the market uses Windows, there is almost no talk about Mac at all.

And by saying that you want a Mac doesnt mean you DONT want OSX, it means you want it all. OSX IS MAC, because it is a product together. Mac is not intended to have any other operating system on it except OS X. The same is when you say, you want a iPhone, but you never say "i wan a iOS phone!" like you do when saying "I want a android phone" because there is soooo much thirdparty stuff going on with a single device, and there is too much android phones out there, so you have to be specific when saying what device you really want.

Edited by Preath, 02 December 2012 - 03:50 PM.

#15 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:41 AM

While I agree with using Linux, if you don't like Ubuntu, try other distros instead of giving up on it. I happily used nothing but Linux for the better part of a year, but damn I dislike Ubuntu

I actually prefer Arch myself, but sometime, getting apps installed is simpler with *buntu. Not that 5 minutes on the Arch wiki could not answer it for me.

#16 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:42 AM

I love my Mac and Mac OS X. Linux may have "more" programs available, but the number of quality, polished, programs is few and far between. I personally am annoyed by the perpetual beta of most Linux Distros (including Ubuntu). The user experience with different types of hardware can vary. To suggest Linux over Mac OS X just laughable. Linux is no more gamer friendly than Mac OS X. Wine, in general, is a joke. Poor performance, buggy compatibility. Besides, Steam works on Mac OS X, and Wine is available for Mac OS X. And for the most part, any open source Linux program is equally available for Mac OS X as long as the program is Unix compliant.

Personally, I could never use Linux in any type of productive manner. It is fun to play around with, but in the end it would just piss me off.

In case you have remained TOTALLY in the dark, Steam HAS a linux client (i am in the beta) and the rumor going round is that Steam may end the Windows client. Just a rumor though. Rumors may be false.

#17 Elijah?

Elijah?

Believe it.

• 1,246 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:37 PM

In case you have remained TOTALLY in the dark, Steam HAS a linux client (i am in the beta) and the rumor going round is that Steam may end the Windows client. Just a rumor though. Rumors may be false.

Steam's Linux client has a laughably small amount of games available- 25 games, is it? And Valve isn't ending their Windows client, they would lose the majority of their revenue. They simply aren't fans of Windows 8.

#18 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:50 PM

Steam's Linux client has a laughably small amount of games available- 25 games, is it? And Valve isn't ending their Windows client, they would lose the majority of their revenue. They simply aren't fans of Windows 8.

I remember back when Steam was just used for getting the latest video drivers. Games had been played by WON network. If you DONT remember this, then you need to stop now. Everything starts off slowly. Give it time, and many more games will become avaliable. You cant not realistically expect that when Steam Linux happens for 100% of all games to be avaliable at launch. Heck, even new consoles only start off with 5-8 new games at launch. 25 games form the get-go is a great thing.

And remember, i said "rumor" while no one has proved it, Valve has yet to deny it either. Could be true, could not be, we just dont know for now.

#19 The Flashing Fish

The Flashing Fish

om nom nom nom

• 684 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:16 PM

My point wasn't to point out that Linux doesn't having a gaming platform. Of course I am aware that Ubuntu (Valve has not made it officially available for all Linux flavors nor have they indicated that they will) has a Linux client. My point was to dispute your assertion that Mac is not known as a gaming platform. The fact is, Mac is more of a gaming platform than Linux. Any game made for Linux, would theoretically work on Mac, just like how Wine is available for Mac, and damn near any program for Linux can be run in Mac OS X's X11 environment natively.

#20 hab

hab

Active WinMatrixian

• 996 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:05 PM

AutoCAD is a 2D CAD program btw, and it's ONE program. You get the point.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!